• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail Class 150/2s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Seeing as my Class 303/311 thread in this section of the forum went down so well, I thought I'd follow it up with one for the oft-overlooked group of 18 150/2s that worked in Scotland from 1987 to 2005.

This thread can be for any memories you have of them, the specific units used, the routes they were most commonly used on and any unusual services they appeared on. Since it's relevent, the prototype 150's Scottish adventures prior to the 150/2's arrival and any memories you have of those are also welcome. :)

To kick things off, here are 3 images of 150256 (from the 6089Gardener Flickr collection) on Maryhill Line duties in May 1995, taken at Glasgow Queen St, Lambhill (Gilsochill nowadays) & Summerston respectively:

I shall turn the thread over to the rest of you now. :) If this thread does well, I'll consider making one for the small groups of 117s & 305s that worked in Scotland. ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dr Hoo

Established Member
As a ScotRail employee when the 150/2s were being introduced I was eager to get my first run on the new trains. This happened to arise with a special shuttle from Edinburgh Waverley to the long-forgotten 'excursion' station at Meadowbank Stadium for some sports event.

I happily jumped on board the unit and plonked myself down on the seat. The cushion detached and I landed on the floor, hurting my back.

By an amazing coincidence exactly the same thing had happened on my very first run on a class 318 EMU, on a staff familiarisation event.

I never really liked the 150/2s after that, even though I ended up having to manage and deploy quite a few of them. They were a reliable workhorse but never very attractive in my view. (But I loved the Class 156s as I have posted elsewhere.)

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I have no memories of them personally, probably because they weren't very common in Glasgow Central and even then only really on occasion from working from Edinburgh via Shotts.

I have read up about them though and came across an interesting working of one 150/2 paired with a 156 working a diverted Queen Street-Aberdeen via Cumbernauld. Definitely seem to have got about a bit.

I suppose that once the SPT 170s were in service there was no need for a small fleet of 150s anymore, especially since given the 158s were cascaded to most of their usual workings after the full 170 fleet was available

I remember the ex-Stansted 322s more.

Sprinter107

Tyseley borrowed two Scottish 150/2s during the summer of 1999. 150208 and 150256. 208 stayed for about 3 months before going back to Edinburgh and I managed to work it a few times, but 256 only stayed about 4 weeks, and I never managed to work it before it went back. I remember 208 being immaculate inside.

route101

Established Member
I have no memories of them personally, probably because they weren't very common in Glasgow Central and even then only really on occasion from working from Edinburgh via Shotts.

I have read up about them though and came across an interesting working of one 150/2 paired with a 156 working a diverted Queen Street-Aberdeen via Cumbernauld. Definitely seem to have got about a bit.

I suppose that once the SPT 170s were in service there was no need for a small fleet of 150s anymore, especially since given the 158s were cascaded to most of their usual workings after the full 170 fleet was available

I remember the ex-Stansted 322s more.

Dont recall them in Glasgow Central. Makes me wonder if they worked East Kilbride services. At they end they were quite rare at Glasgow Queen St.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Dont recall them in Glasgow Central. Makes me wonder if they worked East Kilbride services. At they end they were quite rare at Glasgow Queen St.
I've seen a couple of photos but not many of them at Glasgow Central.

Of course they were originally very much Edinburgh based being obtained for the then newly opened Bathgate line and to replace older stock on the Dundee semi-fasts

Sprinter107

When 208 came to Tyseley for a few months it had Edinburgh route maps in the saloons. I presume most of their work was around there.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
When 208 came to Tyseley for a few months it had Edinburgh route maps in the saloons. I presume most of their work was around there.
Originally yes, as I outlined above but after the withdrawal of much loco hauled services they started to spread out more. Certainly after the 158s were in service it was not unusual for them to appear on services out of Queen Street more frequently than before.

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
Of course they were originally very much Edinburgh based being obtained for the then newly opened Bathgate line and to replace older stock on the Dundee semi-fasts
I do remember them on the Bathgate's, four cars with the Conductor and two Revenue staff struggling to collect all the fares and every second passenger seemingly with nothing smaller than a twenty pound note!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I do remember them on the Bathgate's, four cars with the Conductor and two Revenue staff struggling to collect all the fares and every second passenger seemingly with nothing smaller than a twenty pound note!
And depending when you travelled on them - also a catering trolley! ;)

I often wonder if it was the shortest service to convey one

dubscottie

I can recall the fun and games when they operated an evening Edinburgh to Perth/Dundee service (split at Ladybank).
Even although it must have been announced 100s of times, people always ended up on the wrong unit.
I had may a trip in the rear cab whenever there was golf on at St Andrews or an airshow at Leuchars. Packed in solid.

Hooligan

in 88/89 they used to run Edinburgh/Bathgate/Edinburgh/Dundee/Edinburgh complete with trolley service (nowhere to put down you drink or sandwich). They also done the odd North Berwick around then as well, again there was one that came from Dundee and went through to North Berwick in evening.

dubscottie

in 88/89 they used to run Edinburgh/Bathgate/Edinburgh/Dundee/Edinburgh complete with trolley service (nowhere to put down you drink or sandwich). They also done the odd North Berwick around then as well, again there was one that came from Dundee and went through to North Berwick in evening.
The evening train from Fife to North Berwick was a legacy of the Rosyth Dockyard trains.

tom1649

I had a 150/2 into Glasgow Central back in 1999/2000. It was working via Shotts from Edinburgh.

Strathclyder

Established Member
For those who have mentioned 150s at Glasgow Central, here are two pics confirming they did appear there. One from the ScotRail (BR) era (part of the 6089Gardener Flickr collection) and one from the Nat X era (part of the British Rail 1980s & 1990s Flickr collection). Both images depict units on Shotts Line duties as also mentioned upthread.

route101

Established Member
Why was there catering on Bathgate services?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
For those who have mentioned 150s at Glasgow Central, here are two pics confirming they did appear there. One from the ScotRail (BR) era (part of the 6089Gardener Flickr collection) and one from the Nat X era (part of the British Rail 1980s & 1990s Flickr collection). Both images depict units on Shotts Line duties as also mentioned upthread.

Yep, they seemed not infrequent interlopers on Shotts duties, but they don't seem to have say worked in from Edinburgh via Shotts and then gone to work Glasgow area services before returning - I imagine those with the route knowledge didn't sign the 150s

No idea but off-peak services had a trolley in at least 1988 and 1989.

route101

Established Member
Yep, they seemed not infrequent interlopers on Shotts duties, but they don't seem to have say worked in from Edinburgh via Shotts and then gone to work Glasgow area services before returning - I imagine those with the route knowledge didn't sign the 150s

No idea but off-peak services had a trolley in at least 1988 and 1989.

Wonder if they worked an East Kilbride service in between a Shotts?

I'm sure some Shotts diagrams interworked with East Kilbride more recently.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Wonder if they worked an East Kilbride service in between a Shotts?

I'm sure some Shotts diagrams interworked with East Kilbride more recently.
Always possible of course, but as I outlined above - would any crews who signed EK also sign 150s?

I believe EK is signed by Corkerhill and I don't believe any 150s were ever based there.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
ScotRail had contracts with three 'trolley' catering contractors and we did all sorts of experiments just to see what might work. The Gourock line was another that saw trials. There were various factors such as the replacement on non-gangway units and generally smaller number of cafes and so on then. All of the insulated cups we take for granted these days were not generally available (and a 'thermos flask' was too much faff for most passengers). Sometimes a short local round trip could help fill out a standard shift.

The basic lesson was that local catering wasn't worth it but at least we gave it a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.