• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Class 158 tree strike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speed43125

Hi all,

Yesterday, while waiting for the 1T62, this 158 went by Dunblane on ecs to Stirling, which when pulling in later I saw had this significant damage done to it. Part of me is surprised they were allowed to move it in this condition. I took some photos there, as it had only just pulled in, there were some staff taking photos as well. If anyone has any further information that would be most appreciated

IMG20210521202442.jpgIMG20210521202453.jpgIMG20210521202456.jpgIMG20210521202458.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sw1ller

Established Member
That must have been scary for the driver. I clipped a small branch (probably call it a twig to be fair) yesterday at 40mph in a 150 and that made a right old bang, so this must have been pretty terrifying. Hope the driver was ok.

Clarence Yard

Established Member
It’s in the Scottish press too. RAIB were informed last night and one of their Inspectors was flying up to Scotland from Heathrow today.

From the picture in the Courier, the tree forced it’s way through the front windscreen but the driver has been reported by one (unconfirmed) source as not seriously hurt.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Hi all,

Yesterday, while waiting for the 1T62, this 158 went by Dunblane on ecs to Stirling, which when pulling in later I saw had this significant damage done to it. Part of me is surprised they were allowed to move it in this condition.

The working was 2L71 1639 Perth to Dundee, it struck a tree which had fallen from outside the railway boundary at Glencarse. The driver was injured, treated by paramedics on site and taken to hospital. The unit couldn’t be driven from the leading end or assisted from that end either, so not sure how you expect it to be dealt with other than by moving it from the unaffected cab? It was examined by fitters on site and passed fit for the move anyway.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I’ve seen pictures from inside the cab (not share-able), and the driver will have had the fright of his or her life. I’ve kept the picture for the next time I get any complaints about tree felling on railway property.

(Having been in a cab of a train doing 125mph, rounding a corner to find a large branch on the track, it certainly tests your mettle).

Highlandspring

Established Member
I’ve seen pictures from inside the cab (not share-able), and the driver will have had the fright of his or her life. I’ve kept the picture for the next time I get any complaints about tree felling on railway property.

Yes, quite horrific images aren’t they. The driver was very lucky.

LowLevel

Established Member

(Having been in a cab of a train doing 125mph, rounding a corner to find a large branch on the track, it certainly tests your mettle).

I assume looking at the photos the desk managed to absorb at least some of the impact? We had a nasty fatality with one of our 158s a few years ago where the desk was demolished but the driver was luckily unharmed apart from some flying glass in his eyes.

Efini92

Established Member

I’m impressed they turned the dra on. I’d have been out of there in a flash.

Speed43125

The unit couldn’t be driven from the leading end or assisted from that end either, so not sure how you expect it to be dealt with other than by moving it from the unaffected cab? It was examined by fitters on site and passed fit for the move anyway.
Sorry, I was referring to the wood still lodged into the windscreen, to me that seems like something you might want to get rid of before moving the unit at speed.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Sorry, I was referring to the wood still lodged into the windscreen, to me that seems like something you might want to get rid of before moving the unit at speed.
It is well and truly lodged in the windscreen and the cab equipment behind.

I’m impressed they turned the dra on. I’d have been out of there in a flash.
There was a driver travelling pass who immediately entered the cab to assist the driver. It was them who made the REC and I’d guess they set the DRA and turned on the tail lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.