• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Class 385 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

InOban

Established Member
The light engine has set off, but we know that means little. However scotrail posted a new tweet recently showing the yard at Aycliffe full of 385s, hardly any space for Azumas.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jagardner1984

It’s obviously too late now but a number of comments on the train I was on about how uncomfortable the “new train” was compared to the old ones.

I couldn’t disagree.

Journeyman

Established Member
It’s obviously too late now but a number of comments on the train I was on about how uncomfortable the “new train” was compared to the old ones.

I couldn’t disagree.

Have to be honest and say I'm avoiding the 385s while I can. They're OK, but the 365s and 380s are more comfortable.

gsnedders

Established Member
Anyone know what diagrams the 385s are on now? What trains in the next few hours from GLQ should be 385 operated? I've still not made it on one, so…

gsnedders

Established Member
Although today the 15:15 from Edinburgh was a pair of 170s. There is a 6 car working of 385s on the North Berwick branch today, however.
Bah, missed that when I headed into GLQ! Am on the 16:15, which is thus a pair of 170s, and given the x:30s have been 365/380s for ages they don't have the novelty factor to wait around for. :)

SC318250

Light loco from Tyne cancelled early

Not sure if loco will come from Doncaster , but there is an 0Z68 sitting at Newcastle in the Thunderbird siding.

385 move not shown as cancelled yet, but it might be later on

K.o.R

Can anyone explain why these (and the 380s also) run as seven-coach pairs? That seems very strange and an absolute headache as you need two different unit types for every train.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Can anyone explain why these (and the 380s also) run as seven-coach pairs? That seems very strange and an absolute headache as you need two different unit types for every train.
Until the Queen Street platform lengthening is complete 7 is the max. The lengthening will allow Edinburgh-Glasgow express to be 8 carriages; at this point the 4-car units will be exclusively used on the Express whilst the 3 car units will be for the other services

ScotTrains

I couldn’t disagree.
When they had the mock up in Edinburgh a few years ago there were plenty of negative comments about the poor seats. Scotrail chose to ignore them and continue with these horrid seats. They are very uncomfortable.
I will now happily take one of the slower routes to Edinburgh to avoid the 385s. It's a shame Scotrail don't listen to their customers.

K.o.R

Until the Queen Street platform lengthening is complete 7 is the max. The lengthening will allow Edinburgh-Glasgow express to be 8 carriages; at this point the 4-car units will be exclusively used on the Express whilst the 3 car units will be for the other services

Don't the 365s run to Queen Street? How do they manage?

GrimShady

Established Member
When they had the mock up in Edinburgh a few years ago there were plenty of negative comments about the poor seats. Scotrail chose to ignore them and continue with these horrid seats. They are very uncomfortable.
I will now happily take one of the slower routes to Edinburgh to avoid the 385s. It's a shame Scotrail don't listen to their customers.

IMO they should have used the same GWR seats in first to create a harmonious product between Inter7city fleet and the 385s

Mingulay

They don't listen to their staff either! Abellio are terrible and make First look absolutely fantastic!

I Have not been on a 385 yet as they seem still to be as rare as hens teeth. So I must reserve judgment. But from the feedback todate, they don't sound like the"continental European feel" that Alex H was boasting about at a recent presentation. Leaving aside the 385 delays . The windows the brake problem teething troubles. The solitary show piece HST sitting idle at Haymarket it seems . The new timetable that delivers better for some but worse for others . I sense that Abellio are poised to replicate that unfortunate Scottish sporting talent. They will snatch defeat from the jaws of victory! So much has been promised for so long that the reality already delayed seems fated to underwhelm the travelling public. More time needed perhaps. HST looks good , but years to get a fleet. The public will judge the 385 by the service in the whole. Not just its seats. If the service is not much better for all , the 385 reputation will be the train that marked the start of a diminished service for many or at best no noticeable improvement. The stop gap electric trains older and more comfortable will already have taken the gloss off a new train that has had a shaky start. . So all you have left is more capacity and faster journeys. I sense that aim too will also miss the target for many in the central belt.

mde

IMO they should have used the same GWR seats in first to create a harmonious product between Inter7city fleet and the 385s
It seems more likely that they'd have used the the Grammer seats from the 380s (the E3000), rather than the ones used on the HST sets (IC3000, as also seen in the Inverness 158s, and on similar units in TfW land).

IC3000s would perhaps be a bit overkill on some of the routes the 385 is specced for, and, creating a mixed fleet would perhaps somewhat defeat the purpose of having a standard. But, it's all semantics now unfortunately. The Fainsa's will be with us for some years yet.

GrimShady

Established Member
It seems more likely that they'd have used the the Grammer seats from the 380s (the E3000), rather than the ones used on the HST sets (IC3000, as also seen in the Inverness 158s, and on similar units in TfW land).

IC3000s would perhaps be a bit overkill on some of the routes the 385 is specced for, and, creating a mixed fleet would perhaps somewhat defeat the purpose of having a standard. But, it's all semantics now unfortunately. The Fainsa's will be with us for some years yet.

The four car sets are dedicated E&G are they not?

Can't say I'm a big fan of the 380 seats either, 170s seats are superior in my view.

Status
Not open for further replies.