• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Class 385 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

InOban

Established Member
Just noticed that the light engine movement for another delivery today has appeared on RTT. Is this happening?

GLC

385s back out on the Cathcart circle today. Just saw one pass by my house. Hope the testing is going well!

SC318250

Can't understand why something would move from Merchant - Tees.......only things there that could move are 800s, and to Tees Yard would be a strange place to send one.
This will be an interesting one to watch.

Oops i am thinking of the Port

snookertam

ScotRail were tweeting about disruption yesterday due to a failure in the Edinburgh Park area, seemingly required assistance which came from Millerhill (again according to their twitter which might be inaccurate). Anyone any idea whether this was a 385 or not?

Looking at Realtime trains it looks possible it was an issue with 1R40 1015 Queen Street to Edinburgh... that was the first service affected, arrived into Haymarket 125 mins late.

mde

ScotRail were tweeting about disruption yesterday due to a failure in the Edinburgh Park area, seemingly required assistance which came from Millerhill (again according to their twitter which might be inaccurate). Anyone any idea whether this was a 385 or not?

Looking at Realtime trains it looks possible it was an issue with 1R40 1015 Queen Street to Edinburgh... that was the first service affected, arrived into Haymarket 125 mins late.
It was a 365 on 1P20 Dunblane to Edinburgh that failed. 365 509 was brought from Millerhill on 1Z99 to act as rescue.

Kite159

Veteran Member
It was a 365 on 1P20 Dunblane to Edinburgh that failed. 365 509 was brought from Millerhill on 1Z99 to act as rescue.

That link shows 1P20 arriving into Edinburgh on time??

(A Dunblane bound 365 failed early in the day around Edinburgh Park, the 06:23)

2M28 0924 Milngavie to Edinburgh was the first to get large delays judging by RTT, on time at Edinburgh Park but passed Haymarket West 120 minutes late
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/G88743/2019/01/19/advanced

Highlandspring

Established Member
Despite the realtimetrains link it was definitely 365533 on 1P20 0958 Dunblane - Edinburgh involved in the big incident yesterday. The earlier problem at Newbridge Jn involved 365509 on 1P11 0623 Edinburgh - Dunblane which is why it was on hand at Millerhill...

mde

That link shows 1P20 arriving into Edinburgh on time??
Indeed it does - however, that appears to be a glitch as what's showing today isn't reflective of what RTT was showing at the time. 1P20 was joined to 1Z99 and returned to Waverley under that head code.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Going by what a few trainspotters are saying on social media, there are plans for the Class 385s to do the Ayr-North Berwick as well as some Inverclyde routes. I always thought that would naturally have happened but it was always said that the 385s wouldn’t make it to Ayrshire and Inveryclyde. Even Scotrail confirmed it on Twitter. Has something changed?

I think the 380s and 385s would work really well together. They are both very similar and with the 380s turning 10 years old they’ll probably be up for their first refurbishment/overhaul. So couldn’t they fit some with First Class areas?

sannox

Going by what a few trainspotters are saying on social media, there are plans for the Class 385s to do the Ayr-North Berwick as well as some Inverclyde routes. I always thought that would naturally have happened but it was always said that the 385s wouldn’t make it to Ayrshire and Inveryclyde. Even Scotrail confirmed it on Twitter. Has something changed?

I think the 380s and 385s would work really well together. They are both very similar and with the 380s turning 10 years old they’ll probably be up for their first refurbishment/overhaul. So couldn’t they fit some with First Class areas?

I don't think many know the end plan for the 385s! They don't appear well suited to the Cathcart Circle at all- it would actually suit a more metro style unit with more standing room and walk through ability like the 707s. Are there not Circle diagrams that interwork with Gourock/Canal services? Sure the 314 I got from Pollokshields West turned into a Wemyss Bay.

The 385s on Cathcart Circle are sans first class. Don't see the value of it on the via Paisley services- they really are just commuter routes with short to medium journey times and doubtful many would avail of it- maybe on the Ayr line but then you have a split fleet.

mde

What route would you run a 380 on that would justify removing capacity to add a first class compartment?

The 'fake' first class they did toy with on some units wasn't much more than a slightly changed seat cover so it'd need to be more than that otherwise it'd be a bit pathetic.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
What route would you run a 380 on that would justify removing capacity to add a first class compartment?

The 'fake' first class they did toy with on some units wasn't much more than a slightly changed seat cover so it'd need to be more than that otherwise it'd be a bit pathetic.

The Ayr route would be a possible contender. Baring in mind I did “some” 380s not all. I think it makes more sense to have 380s and 385s working together like the 334s and 318s rather than having a clear division. The 385s seem silly on Cathcart Circle services they would be better run with 318s/320s then eventually replaced with newer commuter stock eventually.

route101

Established Member

Do think having the ability to run 385s to Ayr etc would be good move with the Edinburgh services .The 380s inside are not too bad for 8 years in service . They are a step up from the 334s with airline and table seating but still very much commuter feel.

route101

Established Member
The Ayr route would be a possible contender. Baring in mind I did “some” 380s not all. I think it makes more sense to have 380s and 385s working together like the 334s and 318s rather than having a clear division. The 385s seem silly on Cathcart Circle services they would be better run with 318s/320s then eventually replaced with newer commuter stock eventually.

Wonder if its just a few peak runs around the circle for 385s? Dont think they are going up the Neilston branch .

Yeah a 345 or 707 would be better for Cathcart Cirlcle .

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I think the 380s have been great on Queen Street services since the delay of the 385s. They are great trains and would work very well working between Edinburgh and also the Ayrshire Coast etc. That way Glasgow Central services are getting a bit of mix and match between the 380s and brand new stock. They’re certainly busy enough.

alangla

Yeah a 345 or 707 would be better for Cathcart Cirlcle .
I’ve been thinking for a while that the 707s would be a decent choice for Cathcart. Would fit in all the 120m platforms, would pretty much fit on the Canal line, good layout internally for the type of work & freeing up the 385s to be purely E&G/SDA units to get rid of the 365s and provide some spare capacity for EK or Barrhead electrification. Would also get the 318/320s onto purely low level jobs & the odd Lanark. Could probably get Siemens to maintain them in the 380 facility at Shields. Makes sense on so many levels, so pretty much guaranteed not to happen!

sannox

I’ve been thinking for a while that the 707s would be a decent choice for Cathcart. Would fit in all the 120m platforms, would pretty much fit on the Canal line, good layout internally for the type of work & freeing up the 385s to be purely E&G/SDA units to get rid of the 365s and provide some spare capacity for EK or Barrhead electrification. Would also get the 318/320s onto purely low level jobs & the odd Lanark. Could probably get Siemens to maintain them in the 380 facility at Shields. Makes sense on so many levels, so pretty much guaranteed not to happen!

The 707s would be a decent fit however no toilets. Might able to be retrofitted when doing other work necessary . Given Siemens 380s are here and 5 car would be about right for the Cathcart Circle network and should fit into the headshunt at Neilston. Guaranteed not to happen! :lol:

Kite159

Veteran Member
The 707s would be a decent fit however no toilets. Might able to be retrofitted when doing other work necessary . Given Siemens 380s are here and 5 car would be about right for the Cathcart Circle network and should fit into the headshunt at Neilston. Guaranteed not to happen! :lol:

However the lack of toilets probably isn't that much of an issue considering the 314s which are getting replaced also don't have toilets.

sannox

However the lack of toilets probably isn't that much of an issue considering the 314s which are getting replaced also don't have toilets.
True but given the moaning and mumping of the Inverclyde public about the 314s you'd think it was the worst thing in the history of the world! Longest they were was 1 hour end to end. Plus you'd want the flexibility to stick them on longer routes.

gsnedders

Established Member
How much conversion work would be needed on 707s?
The first two of the class had a transformer/pantograph fitted as part of testing at Siemens' factory; I believe that's most of the work needed. Certainly they've done all the design work and proved it all works, and done it in the opposite direction (removing them from the first two), so I can't imagine it would be vast.

Stopper

Would be very unlikely for ScotRail to have a small fleet of 5-car units when it mainly seems to prefer 3/4 car sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.