• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Class 385 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CM

Yes, it is.
Commuting routes with many intersections and curves can not be speeded up, so 100 miles per hour is enough.
However, if you enable 125 mph in Class 385 in Edinburgh-Glasgow fastest route, could it be possible to cut 40 minutes?
I think such a thing.
Yes end

The Class 385s have a top speed of 100mph....that's it, you are wrong, end of!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
As others have said the current priced order is for more 3 car units but until the assembly line closes it should be perfectly possible to get a decent price on more 4 car units if a decision were made on Almond Chord in the next couple of years.

Brilliant, so they could get some more 4-car?

Perhaps excercise the 3-car option but extend to 4-car?

Carntyne

Yes, it is.
Commuting routes with many intersections and curves can not be speeded up, so 100 miles per hour is enough.
However, if you enable 125 mph in Class 385 in Edinburgh-Glasgow fastest route, could it be possible to cut 40 minutes?
I think such a thing.
Yes end
You can't enable 125mph in a train which can't do it. 100mph max.

route101

Established Member
That was the 0633 Glasgow to Wemyss Bay
The nightstopper at Wemyss Bay last night was 318264
No sign of a 385 on Inverclyde yet, tho there were 2 sitting at Shields
Only a pair of 314s sitting at Shields but the windows on 318264 were that dirty that I couldnt make the numbers out clearly

I took the 1255 to Gourock today and it was a 3 car 385 , not sure if it was the only one or not on the inverclydes. There was also a 318 on the Wemyss bay and a 320 on Gourocks .
Is this the first time 320s have been down the Inverclydes ?
No 314s on any inverlcydes , maybe just early morning now .
Have to wonder if Ayr will see them in service , i suspect we will but obviously drivers will have to be trained .
Also has a 385 worked a Neilston service ??

InOban

Established Member
I'm surprised that there haven't been any more deliveries to Scotrail this week, none last week either.

Japan0913

Recent Class 385
Operation in the direction of Lanark and Gourock / Wemyss Bay has begun.
Operation in Cathcart Circle Lines seems to be reduced for that amount,
Is the route changed to a route with few curves, medium distance (more than 40 km), and likely to save time?

Glasgow Central-Lanark about 46 km
Glasgow Central-Gourock about 42 km
Glasgow Central-Wemyss Bay about 60km

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Recent Class 385
Operation in the direction of Lanark and Gourock / Wemyss Bay has begun.
Operation in Cathcart Circle Lines seems to be reduced for that amount,
Is the route changed to a route with few curves, medium distance (more than 40 km), and likely to save time?

Glasgow Central-Lanark about 46 km
Glasgow Central-Gourock about 42 km
Glasgow Central-Wemyss Bay about 60km

385s can only do two low-speed trips (such as the Circle) in succession or the traction motors overhead I was told.

Possibly running out to Gourock/Wemyss Bay is sufficiently fast to negate this?

Certainly Lanark would be.

Japan0913

Maybe I think the Scottish government is under study,
Which Non-electrified route is effective when realizing the Battery Drive Class 385?
Plans to introduce battery powered trains in Scotland
The scotsman 25 March 2019
https://www.scotsman.com/news-2-150...-battery-powered-trains-in-scotland-1-4894957

・・・・・・・

Hitachi said the trains could run up to 60 miles on batteries.

It said recharging would take ten to 15 minutes.

That would mean the trains could run beyond Dunblane – the northern extent of ScotRail’s electrified network – as far as Perth and Dundee.

Hitachi has suggested other routes they could be used on including from Glasgow to East Kilbride and Kilmarnock, and on a Glasgow northern suburban line to Anniesland via Maryhill.

Just as a diesel engine was installed under the Class 801 floor,
Hitachi seems to install a storage battery under the Class 385 floor.

Last edited:

CM

Could they not be upped to 110mph, possibly, such as with 350s?

They were specified for 100mph as that is, afaik, the maximum line speed on the E&G so there would be no point in upgrading them to 110mph.

CM

What is the top speed of Class 390 in Scotland?

It will depend on the line speed, though I don't see what the top speed of a 390 has to do with 385s. They are completley different trains altogether.

takno

Established Member
125 where linespeed permits, exactly the same as in England.
While it's a completely irrelevant question anyway, it's doubly irrelevant in the case of the 390s since they are allowed to run faster than other trains due to tilt

hexagon789

Veteran Member
While it's a completely irrelevant question anyway, it's doubly irrelevant in the case of the 390s since they are allowed to run faster than other trains due to tilt

Getting off-topic, but you could allow non-tilting trains to do 125 on the WCML.

Because there are no sections or signals that can be upgraded to over 100 miles an hour?

125 on the WCML from London into Glasgow for tilting trains, 110 for non-tilting. 125mph on the ECML from London into Edinburgh.

All other lines in Scotland are 100mph maximum.

supervc-10

Getting off-topic, but you could allow non-tilting trains to do 125 on the WCML.

From my understanding the limitation of non-tilting stock to 110 is purely a passenger comfort thing, not a safety thing (apart from the risk of passengers falling and hurting themselves!). A Pendolino could do 125 with the tilt disabled and not come off the tracks, or do any damage to said tracks, but it would be unpleasant for those on board.

The 'Power cars' on the APT didn't tilt.

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

RLBH

125 on the WCML from London into Glasgow for tilting trains, 110 for non-tilting. 125mph on the ECML from London into Edinburgh.

All other lines in Scotland are 100mph maximum.
There are a few sections of line (none of them on the Edinburgh & Glasgow route) where 125mph might be possible. But it's irrelevant to Class 385s, because they aren't built for that speed. 'Enabling' it would likely involve replacing the entire powertrain, at which point you might as well build new trains.

From memory, so I could be wrong, the EGIP strategic assessment looked at 125mph running on the E&G. End-to-end time was 38 minutes, well into diminishing returns territory, at the expense of totally buggering up intermediate stops and pretty much the entire Central Scotland rail network needing resignalling.

The only places where you might see 125mph running are on the Aberdeen routes, where the HSTs can theoretically take advantage of it.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
From my understanding the limitation of non-tilting stock to 110 is purely a passenger comfort thing, not a safety thing (apart from the risk of passengers falling and hurting themselves!). A Pendolino could do 125 with the tilt disabled and not come off the tracks, or do any damage to said tracks, but it would be unpleasant for those on board.

The 'Power cars' on the APT didn't tilt.

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

APT-P power cars did tilt, hence the anti-tilt pantograph fitting.

There are a few sections of line (none of them on the Edinburgh & Glasgow route) where 125mph might be possible. But it's irrelevant to Class 385s, because they aren't built for that speed. 'Enabling' it would likely involve replacing the entire powertrain, at which point you might as well build new trains.

From memory, so I could be wrong, the EGIP strategic assessment looked at 125mph running on the E&G. End-to-end time was 38 minutes, well into diminishing returns territory, at the expense of totally buggering up intermediate stops and pretty much the entire Central Scotland rail network needing resignalling.

The only places where you might see 125mph running are on the Aberdeen routes, where the HSTs can theoretically take advantage of it.

If, and it's a big if, the 385s were upgraded I can't see it being to more than 110mph.

DanNCL

Established Member
Just seen a pair of GBRF 66s top and tailing a pair of 385s and some barrier wagons on the East Coast Main Line just north of York. Presumably these units have come from Italy?

Mingulay

A Question

I was commenting to the guard last night how the 385 on the new timetable had shaved a decent amount off the time to Dunblane . He confirmed they were quick. But he thought the ride was less steady than the 170 as they were heavier , the new trains being more lightweight materials. Cant say I notice much of a difference albeit I always found 170 a comfortable ride.

Which got me thinking . Whilst I am sure new technology and design will have safety at the heart of it , lighter materials may not compromise structural integrity , heaven forbid in a collision. Do all new trains get crash tested like all cars are ?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
A Question

I was commenting to the guard last night how the 385 on the new timetable had shaved a decent amount off the time to Dunblane . He confirmed they were quick. But he thought the ride was less steady than the 170 as they were heavier , the new trains being more lightweight materials. Cant say I notice much of a difference albeit I always found 170 a comfortable ride.

Which got me thinking . Whilst I am sure new technology and design will have safety at the heart of it , lighter materials may not compromise structural integrity , heaven forbid in a collision. Do all new trains get crash tested like all cars are ?

They have to meet stringent regulations which for the 385 are tighter that when the 170s were built. You couldn't build 170s to the same design anymore as they wouldn't fit the updated collision regs.

Also, I don't they are lighter as such than the 170s. The motor cars are similar weights it's only the trailers that are significantly lighter by virtue of having neither traction motors nor engine to add weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.