• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Class 385 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I agree. It appears to me that they're on top of the situation and a gradual introduction along with the the phased withdrawal of the 314's is the ideal scenario, allowing for further reliable timetable enhancements on the December change.

After all if they've got the units why not put them to use rather than store them?

I imagine there might be a discover with all the 385s available for service and a handful of serviceable 314s prior to total withdrawal.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
People are welcome to post their opinion of the trains but anything else that is more about a particular trip is best posted in the Trip Reports section please.

Also a gentle reminder that our rules require all posts to be respectful, and for any concerns to be reported using the report button. Thanks.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Isn’t it a bit of an issue that the units actually ordered for the Cathcart Circle services have overheating traction issues if used on the routes more than a certain amount of times in the 1 day? I get this affects the 334s and 380s but they weren’t built exclusively for these routes they were built for Ayrshire/Inverclyde lines.

I’ve said it many of times but I don’t think Scotrail have thought the 314 replacement through properly. The 318s and 320s probably should have just replaced the 314s on routes like Cathcart Circle, Neilston, a Newton and Paisley Canal. Otherwise they should have ordered a more suburban unit for shorter routes with less seating and more standing for less distance.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Isn’t it a bit of an issue that the units actually ordered for the Cathcart Circle services have overheating traction issues if used on the routes more than a certain amount of times in the 1 day? I get this affects the 334s and 380s but they weren’t built exclusively for these routes they were built for Ayrshire/Inverclyde lines.

I’ve said it many of times but I don’t think Scotrail have thought the 314 replacement through properly. The 318s and 320s probably should have just replaced the 314s on routes like Cathcart Circle, Neilston, a Newton and Paisley Canal. Otherwise they should have ordered a more suburban unit for shorter routes with less seating and more standing for less distance.

I don't get the impression the 385s are going to operate most of the Cathcart services, rather these will be 318/320 with 380s at peaks and 385s on some services, seeing as 385s are now going to operate some Gourock/Wemyss Bay turns.

Carntyne

Isn’t it a bit of an issue that the units actually ordered for the Cathcart Circle services have overheating traction issues if used on the routes more than a certain amount of times in the 1 day? I get this affects the 334s and 380s but they weren’t built exclusively for these routes they were built for Ayrshire/Inverclyde lines..
Do they overheat though?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Do they overheat though?

I don't think they do, but they will like 334s or 380s if the instruction isn't adhered to. The 334s did overheat and presumably they've learnt from that and imposed the restriction so that they won't end up with the motors overheating.

I imagine they'd trip-out before things got to anything like dangerous levels.

Highlandspring

Established Member
I think the Cathcart Circle traction motor overheating issue is more of a meme on here than a genuine problem. I understand what folk are getting at and can believe it might be a consideration to a certain extent but I have never seen any sort of written instruction about restricting units or, indeed, heard any mention of this ‘problem’ in Control whatsoever. But perhaps I’ve just completely missed it.

Carntyne

I don't think they do, but they will like 334s or 380s if the instruction isn't adhered to. The 334s did overheat and presumably they've learnt from that and imposed the restriction so that they won't end up with the motors overheating.

I imagine they'd trip-out before things got to anything like dangerous levels.
Which restriction? Certainly nothing in the operating manual about it.

route101

Established Member
I don't get the impression the 385s are going to operate most of the Cathcart services, rather these will be 318/320 with 380s at peaks and 385s on some services, seeing as 385s are now going to operate some Gourock/Wemyss Bay turns.

Yep 385s already on Inverclydes . I wonder if Scotrail had it all along they would operate them services or it was a recent decision to do so ?
Other routes i think they will go eventually are Glasgow to Edinburgh via Carstairs ( If they are not some already)
Glasgow to Neilston (Have they even been tested up here )

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Yep 385s already on Inverclydes . I wonder if Scotrail had it all along they would operate them services or it was a recent decision to do so ?
Other routes i think they will go eventually are Glasgow to Edinburgh via Carstairs ( If they are not some already)
Glasgow to Neilston (Have they even been tested up here )

If they did they kept quiet about it ;)

palmersears

Established Member
Could somebody confirm for me which services the 385s are now operating? I'm in Scotland in Wednesday for the first time in a while and I've lost track of what's going where!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Could somebody confirm for me which services the 385s are now operating? I'm in Scotland in Wednesday for the first time in a while and I've lost track of what's going where!

All Edinburgh-Glasgow via Falkirk High
Most Edinburgh-North Berwick/Dunbar
All Edinburgh/Glasgow-Stirling/Dunblane/Alloa
Some Edinburgh-Glasgow via Shotts
Some Glasgow-Lanark
Some Glasgow-Gourock
Some Cathcart Circle

I believe that's presently how it stands.

route101

Established Member
Most Edinburgh-North Berwick/Dunbar
All Edinburgh/Glasgow-Stirling/Dunblane/Alloa
Some Edinburgh-Glasgow via Shotts
Some Glasgow-Lanark
Some Glasgow-Gourock
Some Cathcart Circle

I believe that's presently how it stands.

Have all DMUs been taken off SDA runs ?

I thought they were on services via Carstairs but may be making that up/

One 385 was on a Wemyss bay service too/

The 385s are dominating central scotland

Japan0913

◆Glasgow Queen Street(Via Low Level St.)
 North Clyde Line
 West Highland Line

◆Glasgow Central(Via Low Level St.)
 Argyle Line
 Whifflet Line

◆Ayrshire Coast Line(Class380)

For all other routes except the above, class 385 was entered.

Which restriction? Certainly nothing in the operating manual about it.

It was mentioned to me by the "2nd in command" of Op Standards a few months ago whilst he was driving my train. No reason to not doubt him.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Have all DMUs been taken off SDA runs ?

Pretty sure they have been.

I thought they were on services via Carstairs but may be making that up/

Might be, forgot about the route and certainly 385s go out to North Berwick, but they don't go to Ayr, so I'm not sure how that works for diagramming.

One 385 was on a Wemyss bay service t

Meant to put "Gourock/Wemyss Bay". I always manage to miss out something when listing things like this! :lol:

InOban

Established Member
I believe there's still one Shotts service using a 158, simply to rotate them through Corkerhill where the central belt 158s are based.

Steamysandy

Scotrail 385s at Retford is on YouTube loaded by my love of railways
It shows a 3 and a 4 coach set in the middle of a freight train heading North dated 22/5( from Dollands Moor?)

SC318250

385001/102 returning from fitting out in Italy

385002/101 should be arriving soon also from Italy

Highlandspring

Established Member
yes but would be more accurate.

There are a large number of (mainly peak) services which are extended/start beyond Dunblane which obviously remain as DMU.
They would not be “SDA services” though, would they, just because they happen to pass through the hallowed city of Dunblane on their way to Perth, Dundee or Arbroath. They’re not Dunblanes that happen to be extended but a seperate service group in their own right. In the same way that even the most fervent Dunblanite citizen would struggle to justify calling the Inverness and Aberdeen trains which stop there “SDA services”.

Status
Not open for further replies.