• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Class 385 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GLC

Well in this case they were both out of use and the carraige was in use. So i would say we have a safety issue. Agreed?
Aren’t all doors on a train able to be physically opened (i.e. pulling them apart) in an emergency? The doors being out of service for passenger use surely does not mean the doors are physically incapable of opening?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EE Andy b1

Established Member
Aren’t all doors on a train able to be physically opened (i.e. pulling them apart) in an emergency? The doors being out of service for passenger use surely does not mean the doors are physically incapable of opening?

Only open the doors in emergency via the egress handle, which should apply the brakes and bring train to a stand before the doors can be released, otherwise any idiot could be pulling at the doors to open them.
If the doors are out of use there's a problem, you don't want a door accidently opening en-route and losing someone. So doors are locked out of use, locked shut, so can't be opened and if all doors in that vehicle are locked OOU then the vehicle must be locked OOU and not available for passenger use.

CM

Well in this case they were both out of use and the carraige was in use. So i would say we have a safety issue. Agreed?

Which doors specifically were out of use? A Class 385 has 4 sets of doors per coach, 2 sets per side. If a single set of doors on each side were out of use then they would possibly allow the carriage to remain in use with the affected doors locked out of use. However if both defective sets of doors are on the same side the carriage will always be locked out of use completley.

InOban

Established Member
Doesn't much modern stock have no doors between carriages? So it would be impossible to lock one out of use.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
63 units delivered with 62 in service, the latest being 121 with 041 still on test and yet to enter service.

This leaves 001, 002 ,042-044, 101 & 102 still to be delivered.

That's not bad to be fair, presumably on track for when the E&G goes to 8-car.

InOban

Established Member
They seem to have slowed down deliveries. I would have thought that the factory would want clear the yard.

InOban

Established Member
I believe so. The Italian ones were delivered to Newton Aycliffe a few weeks ago.

Sickandtired

Which doors specifically were out of use? A Class 385 has 4 sets of doors per coach, 2 sets per side. If a single set of doors on each side were out of use then they would possibly allow the carriage to remain in use with the affected doors locked out of use. However if both defective sets of doors are on the same side the carriage will always be locked out of use completley.
It was both doors on the platform side. So to enter or leave the carraige we had to move from/to the next carraige.

InOban

Established Member
Next Wednesday the Tue-fri WTT path for a light engine to the factory has been replaced by a VAR. Last time around this was the first sign that a delivery was planned for that day, so maybe at least one of the remaining units will come North.

GLC

Just saw there that the 1745 Glasgow Central - Newton service was a 4 car 385. Stuck out because I saw the first class banner on the size of it. I wonder what the reason for the swap was?

Peter0124

Established Member
Just saw there that the 1745 Glasgow Central - Newton service was a 4 car 385. Stuck out because I saw the first class banner on the size of it. I wonder what the reason for the swap was?

The newton service formed from a Cathcart Circle which formed directly from an Edinburgh via Shotts. I dont normally see a 4 car 385 on those Edinburgh's either so very rare sight. Anyway here's 385120 standing at Newton forming the 1819 back to GLC!

s6obib.jpg

In that case the carriage should be locked out of use. All maintenance and operating manuals would state this.

It's up to control now though as to whether you lock the coach out of use if doors are locked "out of use". Had that arguement with them over sprinter doors LOOU a few months ago.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I notice that the 385s are now apparently the second most reliable UK EMU fleet according to Alex Hynes?

gordonjahn

Thank you. That's great that the teething issues have been sorted out for the 385s to make second place then.
The heading in the screenshot does say "New Train Reliability" so I wonder if it's not actually second most reliable EMU - just "second in class". Would be nice to have some markers for where other EMUs (444s, Pendolinos, etc) fit in but perhaps that's in the text and I should just go and buy it..

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The heading in the screenshot does say "New Train Reliability" so I wonder if it's not actually second most reliable EMU - just "second in class". Would be nice to have some markers for where other EMUs (444s, Pendolinos, etc) fit in but perhaps that's in the text and I should just go and buy it..

Ah I missed that; thought you be fair second-most reliable new train isn't that bad but you'd need to see where that slots in overall as you say.

gordonjahn

Ah I missed that; thought you be fair second-most reliable new train isn't that bad but you'd need to see where that slots in overall as you say.
Oh, I agree with that - it's an excellent achievement, and well done to the Hitachi team for getting them to such a level!!

samuelmorris

Established Member
It was in this months Modern Railways in the Roger Ford section

https://twitter.com/AlexHynes/status/1148636643290681344
Rather disingenuous isn't it? The picture is cropped to avoid showing what the actual figure is, and the yawning chasm between 1st (a figure more common to existing stock) and 2nd place. A figure of 16k is better than many other new fleets introduced, but still on the low side, particularly for units that regularly work in multiple.

snookertam

It's up to control now though as to whether you lock the coach out of use if doors are locked "out of use". Had that arguement with them over sprinter doors LOOU a few months ago.

That must've changed then. It used to be if two doors on the same side were inoperative then the carriage should be locked out. Equally if it was two doors adjacent to the cab then the carriage should be locked out, although that wasn'y in the operating manuals it seemingly was referred to in the Rule Book.

Status
Not open for further replies.