• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Class 385 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Speed43125

Have they begun to switch to 8-coach trains on the E-G, apart from the .00 services which have been 8 coach for some time?
Not yet. I think maybe i've seen one non- O'clock train as an 8-car, but could easily be wrong. Apart from that one time, I've not seen a single other 8-car train.
Many Dunblane and Alloa trains for example continue to be 4 car 385/1s

Not yet. I think maybe i've seen one non- O'clock train as an 8-car, but could easily be wrong. Apart from that one time, I've not seen a single other 8-car train.
Many Dunblane and Alloa trains for example continue to be 4 car 385/1s
Quite a few 385/1s still on the Edinburgh-Glasgow via Falkirk Grahamston.

InOban

Established Member
Is there a problem in ensuring that all E-G trains are allocated to the 8-coach platforms?

snookertam

Is there a problem in ensuring that all E-G trains are allocated to the 8-coach platforms?

I don't think it's so much that. To ensure all Edinburgh/Queen Street services were 8 car now would involve major alterations to the diagrams as a whole - they'd be taking 4 cars off other routes and replacing them. That involves going through the entire diagrams and making sure they all balance out. Given that ScotRail's planning department will have been working on the diagrams for the December timetable change anyway, it makes far more sense to do it then, rather than two lots of changes two months apart. It would be like any office - the people there have a certain capacity for work. Asking them to work on two major diagram changes - and for Network Rail to accommodate them in that time - would be asking a bit much. The 8 cars will no doubt be introduced in December.

InOban

Established Member
But there are 24 4-car trains and the 'Scotrail Express' service only needs 16, so even allowing for a reserve, some will be spare for any other service where the extra vehicle, perhaps declassified, can be justified.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
But there are 24 4-car trains and the 'Scotrail Express' service only needs 16, so even allowing for a reserve, some will be spare for any other service where the extra vehicle, perhaps declassified, can be justified.

If spare then it's possible of course, whether any would be diagramed specifically though

snookertam

If spare then it's possible of course, whether any would be diagramed specifically though

All units are diagrammed at all times, they just don't always get allocated in a way that corresponds to the diagrams. If there are only 16 units required for the Edinburgh/Queen Street service I would guess that probably at least a further 4/5 will be diagrammed onto otherservices, with remainders as possible hot spares (ready for traffic) and on maintenance (might allow for 2 at a time).

hexagon789

Veteran Member
All units are diagrammed at all times, they just don't always get allocated in a way that corresponds to the diagrams. If there are only 16 units required for the Edinburgh/Queen Street service I would guess that probably at least a further 4/5 will be diagrammed onto otherservices, with remainders as possible hot spares (ready for traffic) and on maintenance (might allow for 2 at a time).

Fair enough, but will 4-car sets be specifically diagramed to non-E&G shuttles when they are all 8-car all the time?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Yes. As outlined above there are more four cars than needed for the E-G.

I knew there were more than required but not if there were specific 4-car diagrams for those spare sets or if they just operated 3-car diagrams as and when needed.

InOban

Established Member
Light engine has already set off, so tonight's final delivery looks very likely.

NorthClyde320

Currently most C'nauld services arr GLQ and dep 5-8 mins later and have done since the new service was introduced in Dec 18, from the new timetable a number of services are timed to arr/dep a few mins apart, giving not a lot of turnaround time. So could the DBL - EDB, EDB - GLQ via C'nauld and GLQ - S/A/D services now interwork with each other, given they are all 385 operated, with a mix of 3, 4 and 6 cars? It is a good way of moving units between depots and stabling points.

Good to see the final 385 being delivered :).

NorthClyde320

The 8.30 GLQ-EDB is a 7 car departing from platform 5, always used to the main EDB service departing from platforms 3, 4 & 7, good to see the benefits of the extended platforms.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The 8.30 GLQ-EDB is a 7 car departing from platform 5, always used to the main EDB service departing from platforms 3, 4 & 7, good to see the benefits of the extended platforms.

I think 4 and 5 are or are to be dedicated to the E-G shuttle, because of platform length.

snookertam

I think 4 and 5 are or are to be dedicated to the E-G shuttle, because of platform length.
Platforms 3 & 4 will continue to be the principal Edinburgh platforms, as trains can arrive 4 and depart 3 without conflict. It was set up this way in the late 1990s when the 15 minute frequency was introduced.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Platforms 3 & 4 will continue to be the principal Edinburgh platforms, as trains can arrive 4 and depart 3 without conflict. It was set up this way in the late 1990s when the 15 minute frequency was introduced.

So it's 3 & 4, not 4 & 5?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Yes 3 & 4 and also 7. These are the only platforms that can take 8 car sets.

What it is I think is I forgot 3 & 4 share the platform face, 2 being to the side on its own and 5 sharing with 6. But anyway, it makes sense to dedicate platforms to the 385 shuttles.

Status
Not open for further replies.