• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Class 385 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

route101

Established Member
Certainly when I used to use the E&G, double 170s would load all the way along at Queen Street. If your luck was in it would be a suburban or SPT unit at the front with no first class at the extreme ends. Single sideways seat behind the driver was the favourite on them.

First class is centre now and front or rear. At Haymarket loads piled on into the First class section or walk through it , not so much peace in that section in centre,

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Train368

This is a bit off topic but does anyone know if their is any big timetable changes coming in May?

ScotRail need to sort out the timetable on the Edinburgh-Milngavie/Helensburgh routes, as an regular user they are late way too often and usually because of too short of a turnaround at Helensburgh and Milngavie.

Maybe with Class 385s all in service they can do a bit of altering and fix some timetable issues?

youngac

This is a bit off topic but does anyone know if their is any big timetable changes coming in May?

ScotRail need to sort out the timetable on the Edinburgh-Milngavie/Helensburgh routes, as an regular user they are late way too often and usually because of too short of a turnaround at Helensburgh and Milngavie.

Maybe with Class 385s all in service they can do a bit of altering and fix some timetable issues?

A recast of the Argyle/North Clyde lines is planned in the near-distant future.

route101

Established Member
Anyone noticed the door buttons on the 385 , kinda annoying they dont push in.

Speed43125

Anyone noticed the door buttons on the 385 , kinda annoying they dont push in.
have noticed it, didn't bother me that much, the doors don't take years to release like 395s or anything, so Got used to it pretty quick. Would it be better ergonomically if it clicked in? perhaps, but that tiny benefit is clearly offset by the complexity and dogey-ness of sensors underneath as the system ages.

Stopper

There seems to be a clamour for 385s to be spread all across the network, there simply isn’t enough. While the likes of Ayrshire, Inverclyde and North Berwick etc were getting new electric rolling stock at the start of the decade, we on the E-G and SDA were crammed onto hot and sweaty diesels. We need as many 385s as we can get, and other routes deserve upgrades as well. You can keep your 380s and wait your turn.

Speed43125

There seems to be a clamour for 385s to be spread all across the network, there simply isn’t enough. While the likes of Ayrshire, Inverclyde and North Berwick etc were getting new electric rolling stock at the start of the decade, we on the E-G and SDA were crammed onto hot and sweaty diesels. We need as many 385s as we can get, and other routes deserve upgrades as well. You can keep your 380s and wait your turn.
I was wondering if some of the off-lease 20m Desiros could be acquired to replace the old BREL built 318s and 320s.

route101

Established Member

Is Lanark going to go all 385?

Had a 6 car on Gartcosh to Queen St service

alangla

Partially agreed. They should definitely keep the 385s on longer, faster routes (e.g. Lanark) and try to make everything east of Motherwell 385 only, apart from the 334s on A2B. Means Edinburgh crews don’t need to know 380s, neither do any guards and they can be taken off local stop-start stuff like Cathcart where they appear to be unsuited. Also means both the 380s and 385s spend more of their time within reasonably easy reach of Shields & Millerhill respectively

D365

Veteran Member
350/1s and 350/2s which I believe are being replaced by cacaded 110mph TPE stock? Or have I misunderstood all that?

There’s only ten ex-TPE Class 350/4s, no way that they’d be able to replace nearly 70 units. The Class 350/2s will be going but only once the Class 730 fleet has been rolled out, which won’t be for a while yet.

59CosG95

Established Member
There’s only ten ex-TPE Class 350/4s, no way that they’d be able to replace nearly 70 units. The Class 350/2s will be going but only once the Class 730 fleet has been rolled out, which won’t be for a while yet.
Indeed, and the 350/1s are staying put. The 379s with Greater Anglia are only 30 in number, but they'll be available first, due to the 720s/745s arriving before the 730s.

mcmad

have noticed it, didn't bother me that much, the doors don't take years to release like 395s or anything, so Got used to it pretty quick. Would it be better ergonomically if it clicked in? perhaps, but that tiny benefit is clearly offset by the complexity and dogey-ness of sensors underneath as the system ages.
There have been a couple of occasions when I've pressed the button once light up and nothings happened so had to press again, not a major issue but the lack of feedback is odd.

Having said that the only real complaint I've got with the units is the ride quality, particularly if sitting towards the ends but that seems to be a standard complaint with most modern stock.

There have been a couple of occasions when I've pressed the button once light up and nothings happened so had to press again, not a major issue but the lack of feedback is odd.

Having said that the only real complaint I've got with the units is the ride quality, particularly if sitting towards the ends but that seems to be a standard complaint with most modern stock.
Nothing new about that. The system is checking that the doors are at a platform, The same thing happens on a 380.

gingertom

Established Member
Given that it’s in the news, Glasgow/Edinburgh to Dumfries via Lockerbie. If they want to re-open a line down there, that’s the one.
I think I'd rather have something with a higher top speed for something running a significant length of the WCML. Something based on the AT300 would be great, maybe some 350s if they're still available once they actually build the link from Lockerbie to Dunfries.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

There are some details here of the May Timetable:-

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/may-2020-timetable-changes.197667/page-7

Suggest start reading from Post #183

Steven_G

As we know, another 10 385s could have been ordered but with ScotRail franchise not being extended that’s not happened.

A real shame, just as the HST fleet was finding its feet and all the 385s delivered.

Fleet really in great position for capacity and I can’t help feel disappointed that those 10 385s are lost.

Speed43125

As we know, another 10 385s could have been ordered but with ScotRail franchise not being extended that’s not happened.

A real shame, just as the HST fleet was finding its feet and all the 385s delivered.

Fleet really in great position for capacity and I can’t help feel disappointed that those 10 385s are lost.
I would have perhaps liked it too if another operator ordered 385s, but Aventra seems to be the prefered choice.
I would have to agree, the last few weeks have been excellent with a significant number of HSTs in service and 385s performing exceptionally well (compared to say 331? or even 321!), management obviously has been riddled with issues, but they seem to have adapted very well to the delays to all the new stock they were meant to receive and so I would say while the whole decision making was a shambles, their responses to the issues seems to be very well handled given the awful circumstances. Definitely a shame if we don't end up with more 385s, as they are clearly a very good unit.

anthannan

I'm sure that this option could be taken by the Scottish Govt or Transport for Scotland. It makes sense to standardise now that the 385 is proving so reliable and all the teething issues have been overcome.

Anyone else noticed that there have been no audio announcements on the Edinburgh - Glasgow mainline services for at least a week now? It's either the conductor making the announcements manually, or more often than not, nothing at all. What's going on?

David M

Travelled from Edinburgh to Glasgow on Saturday and back on Sunday (15/16 Feb) - both trains had the usual annoying automatic announcements.
Don't forget to take your baggage with you BEFORE you leave the train...

Status
Not open for further replies.