• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Class 385 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speed43125

Apart from the Edinburgh to Glasgow and empty coaching stock from depots, where are 385s operating in multiple where this dreadful gangway is actually required?

Again I'll say, unless you have sat in the driver's seat of a 385 then you cannot comment on their apparent virtues. Gangways are fine and many manufacturers can do it right but this train cab design is not fit for purpose. It'll take an incident or three and several demoted drivers before something is done.

I've yet to read a positive review of the 385 from a driver on this forum so far. Enthusiasts wailing about how great the 385 is of no interest to me.
At the moment as is said most routes that can accept 6 car is running as 6, Alloa/Dunblane/stirling services operate a couple of 2x 385/0, notably the singular peak alloa splitter from Edinburgh. Otherwise, E&G is the main usage of it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mcmad

Apart from the Edinburgh to Glasgow and empty coaching stock from depots, where are 385s operating in multiple where this dreadful gangway is actually required?

Again I'll say, unless you have sat in the driver's seat of a 385 then you cannot comment on their apparent virtues. Gangways are fine and many manufacturers can do it right but this train cab design is not fit for purpose. It'll take an incident or three and several demoted drivers before something is done.

I've yet to read a positive review of the 385 from a driver on this forum so far. Enthusiasts wailing about how great the 385 is of no interest to me.
The only route I'm aware of which doesn't run 385's in multi is the via Grahamston. Don;t know what the shotts line is running though.

route101

Established Member
The only route I'm aware of which doesn't run 385's in multi is the via Grahamston. Don;t know what the shotts line is running though.
Had 6 car 385s on both them routes recently , off peak too

Cathcart circle, Neilston, Newton, Gourock and Weymes Bay all run as single 385/0s regularly throughout the day.

route101

Established Member
Is the double 318/320 Lanark diagram the one which starts from Carstairs in the morning? Is this why a 318/320 unit is used?
I thought 385's were passed for Carstairs. It would be good to see the Lanarks go over to all 385's, keep it uniformed.

I take it the Carstairs diagram goes via Low Level , not sure if 385s are cleared . Yes im sure theres a Edinburgh to Glasgow 385 via Carstairs.

SC318250

There were 2 from Carstairs which are 318/320/334 operated via low level

Other Glasgow to Edinburgh via Carstairs are currently 380 operated as they interlink with Ayrshire services but from timetable change they might be 385 operated as Ayrshire timetable is seperated from Edinburgh

NorthClyde320

I take it the Carstairs diagram goes via Low Level , not sure if 385s are cleared . Yes im sure theres a Edinburgh to Glasgow 385 via Carstairs.

No it's the 05.48 service which terminates at the high level at 06.42, I wondered if this forms the 06.52 back to Lanark then again at roughly xx.50 on the even hours and if this was why a 318/320 was used?

I know there are 2 evening peak runs to Carstairs via the low level which 385's aren't cleared for.

gsnedders

Established Member
To an extent yes, that's an issue. But these days TOCs are reluctant to do multiple splits and joins and by having longer fixed formation trains you reduce complexity, increase capacity, reduce build cost (2 cabs per 8 coaches is cheaper than 4 cabs) improve the driver environment, allow guard and catering staff access throughout the train, improve passenger circulation etc.

Having spare capacity in off peak times is not a huge penalty to pay for this. There will still be a place for 3 and four coach trains on quieter routes but busy commuter lines should be aiming to run 8 x 23m trains and ultimately they will be more financially viable and environmentally friendly that way as loadings increase.
I imagine, too, that with an EMU the penalty of overlong trains is lower? How much of DMU maintenance is related to the engine?

No it's the 05.48 service which terminates at the high level at 06.42, I wondered if this forms the 06.52 back to Lanark then again at roughly xx.50 on the even hours and if this was why a 318/320 was used?

I know there are 2 evening peak runs to Carstairs via the low level which 385's aren't cleared for.
Yes the 320/318 does the xx:50 on the even hours departing Central. Later at around 2145 the 6 car set uncouples at Lanark, one half does the 2153 to Central and the other half waits for the 2150 from Central (formed by a 2 x 385/0s) to come in. Once the 2150 from central is in (around 2245) the 385 is stabled there overnight and the 3 car 320 or 318 forms the 2251 to Glasgow Central but I don't see this affecting what trains can run on the Lanark lines as 385s use to uncouple/couple all the time at Lanark.

There were 2 from Carstairs which are 318/320/334 operated via low level

Other Glasgow to Edinburgh via Carstairs are currently 380 operated as they interlink with Ayrshire services but from timetable change they might be 385 operated as Ayrshire timetable is seperated from Edinburgh

Think we'll be waiting a good few months yet for the "summer" timetable given the current circumstances. The May timetable change has been kicked into the long grass for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.