• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Class 385 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clansman

Established Member
Thanks for your quick reply. I'm curious about the Berwick-upon-Tweed service you mention. I didn't realise ScotRail had plans to start services here, although I had heard there were plans for a new Glasgow Central - Motherwell - Lockerbie - Carlisle service using 380s.
No problem :)

As set out in the Franchise Agreement*, the Berwick Upon Tweed services are an extension of the existing Dunbar services, which ScotRail will operate on a two hourly frequency and the original plan was to have the service commencing by the end of the year. The primary purpose of it is to allow connectivity to both Edinburgh and England from new stations at Reston and East Linton, as well as to provide general capacity enhancements along that corridor.

As for the suggested Carlisle services, I'm pretty sure that was a false rumour that appeared on Wikipedia (since removed).

*Can be found on page 261 (269 on the PDF).

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

youngac

No problem :)

As set out in the Franchise Agreement*, the Berwick Upon Tweed services are an extension of the existing Dunbar services, which ScotRail will operate on a two hourly frequency and the original plan was to have the service commencing by the end of the year. The primary purpose of it is to allow connectivity to both Edinburgh and England from new stations at Reston and East Linton, as well as to provide general capacity enhancements along that corridor.

As for the suggested Carlisle services, I'm pretty sure that was a false rumour that appeared on Wikipedia (since removed).

*Berwick Upon Tweed services referenced on page 261 (269 on the PDF).
Sounds like a good idea. I'm guessing the frequency of the service will be hourly at least until new stations begin to open up along the ECML.

On a 385 related note, is it still planned that the 385s will take over the Cathcart Circle/Neilston/Newton services? I've always thought that Circle and Newton services would be better suited for rolling stock with more high-density seating such as 318s and 320s rather than 385s. I also heard that Neilston services were to be upgraded to 4 car 380s in the short term, which seems like a decent idea given the chronic overcrowding on the route.

Clansman

Established Member
Sounds like a good idea. I'm guessing the frequency of the service will be hourly at least until new stations begin to open up along the ECML.

On a 385 related note, is it still planned that the 385s will take over the Cathcart Circle/Neilston/Newton services? I've always thought that Circle and Newton services would be better suited for rolling stock with more high-density seating such as 318s and 320s rather than 385s. I also heard that Neilston services were to be upgraded to 4 car 380s in the short term, which seems like a decent idea given the chronic overcrowding on the route.

I agree with you there, but the 385s are due to take over Cathcart Circle/Neilston/Newton services to allow the cap 314s, to be released and scrapped. Commuters along that route will definitely enjoy them while it lasts.

Not a clue on the 380s to Neilston, but I thought most services during the peak were 6 coaches? It would be a majoracity downgrade if 4-car 380s were used instead if that was the case. Although they are no stranger elsewhere around the Circle.

youngac

I agree with you there, but the 385s are due to take over Cathcart Circle/Neilston/Newton services to allow the cap 314s, to be released and scrapped. Commuters along that route will definitely enjoy them while it lasts.

Not a clue on the 380s to Neilston, but I thought most services during the peak were 6 coaches? It would be a majoracity downgrade if 4-car 380s were used instead if that was the case. Although they are no stranger elsewhere around the Circle.

Being a daily commuter on the Cathcart Circle I will most definitely benefit from the introduction of the 385s, just seems like a bit of overkill!

I believe only a few and not all Neilston services are 6 coaches during peak, certainly nowhere near enough are in my opinion. Same can be said for some Newton services too.

Clansman

Established Member
Being a daily commuter on the Cathcart Circle I will most definitely benefit from the introduction of the 385s, just seems like a bit of overkill!
As overkill as they may be, enjoy them while they last, as I imagine they will probably be moved elsewhere if and when the time comes for the procurement new new EMUs for Glasgow suburban services.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
As overkill as they may be, enjoy them while they last, as I imagine they will probably be moved elsewhere if and when the time comes for the procurement new new EMUs for Glasgow suburban services.

There will be plenty of spare 319s (or 321s eventually) that could be shortened and used to replace the 314s on the Cathcart Circle.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
it's been said before that the 319s would be a bit trickier to shorten, there's more equipment on the non driving trailer compared to the 317/321

I believe only a few and not all Neilston services are 6 coaches during peak, certainly nowhere near enough are in my opinion. Same can be said for some Newton services too.

Doubtful 385s will appear on the Cathcart Circle. A 6 car is too long to fit in the platforms on some stations.

Macwomble

Doubtful 385s will appear on the Cathcart Circle. A 6 car is too long to fit in the platforms on some stations.

Oh yes they are :D

https://www.scotrail.co.uk/about-scotrail/new-trains

We’re investing £475 million in new and better trains for Scotland.

This investment will deliver:

• Faster journeys
  • 100,000 more weekday seats
  • Better services
And that’s not all. The new trains will have the following features:

• Improved accessibility
  • More power sockets
  • Better WiFi
The new and better trains will be introduced first on the Edinburgh Waverley-Glasgow Queen Street route.

New trains will then be introduced on the following routes:

• Edinburgh Waverley – Stirling/Dunblane/Alloa
  • Glasgow Queen Street – Stirling/Dunblane/Alloa
  • Glasgow Queen Street – Cumbernauld/Falkirk Grahamston
  • Edinburgh Waverley – North Berwick
  • Edinburgh Waverley – Glasgow Central via Carstairs
  • Glasgow Central – Lanark/Neilston/Cathcart Circle

Southsider

380s are already running and the platforms have the stop markers in place for 23m stock which I'm sure include six car.

A 6 car would only need to fit Glasgow Central as selective door opening can be used, as like in Ayrshire with the 380, everywhere else. Agree though that Lanark would be a better home for them.

youngac

Have noticed that Glasgow Central - Edinburgh via Shotts no longer features on the list of routes 385s will serve.

Carntyne

They'll operate on the Shotts line, they'll eventually run on all routes between Edinburgh & Glasgow (Falkirk Grahamston, Falkirk High, Shotts & Carstairs) except Airdrie - Bathgate which will remain 334 operated.

They'll also operate Cathcart Circle.

InOban

Established Member
Craigentinny must be getting quite crowded, or are they starting to use the stabling facility at Millerhill?

superkev

Established Member
Is there any date for them being introduced into revenue earning service.
The railway industry never ceases to amaze me how they can have valuable assets parked up. For interest Jet2's new Boeing' 737s Oren arrive Mon, have seats fitted then in service Friday.
K

Domh245

Established Member
For interest Jet2's new Boeing' 737s Oren arrive Mon, have seats fitted then in service Friday.

Completely different situation to the railway though, as explained in detail the last time you bought this example up. Needless to say the testing program for a new design of rolling stock is going to be very thorough and has to be completed and signed off before it's allowed into revenue service, because the last thing you want is to have to unexpectedly and suddenly withdraw them all a few months into their operation.

sannox

They'll operate on the Shotts line, they'll eventually run on all routes between Edinburgh & Glasgow (Falkirk Grahamston, Falkirk High, Shotts & Carstairs) except Airdrie - Bathgate which will remain 334 operated.

They'll also operate Cathcart Circle.

If they replace 314s will they also stumble onto the the Paisley Canal line or is there enough 380s to avoid that?

fgwrich

Established Member
There will be plenty of spare 319s (or 321s eventually) that could be shortened and used to replace the 314s on the Cathcart Circle.

Thats what I was thinking, as they're will be plenty of 321s coming on stream in the not too distant future. Including the rather smarter renatus? units. More 320s for Scotland?

SC318250

Looks like tonight’s delivery is cancelled

67 gone back to Tyne Yard unless 2 locos went on outward run

SC318250

Thanks

Is only one unit allowed to be dragged at a time or would say 2x3 car together be allowed hauled by 67?

Status
Not open for further replies.