• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Class 385 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcmad

Still not been mentioned on the twitter feed as far as I've seen. short forms are "due to maintenance requirements" apparently :rolleyes:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Well, I successfully got myself from one end of the line to the other on time in a 10% full 365 coach today. It smelt of damp, and maybe a little bit of toilet, the interior wall panels were dropping off and the combination of full blast heating and all of the windows open gave for an interesting top to toe temperature experience. It didn't feel like a route in crisis however, just a bit tired and manky.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Well, I successfully got myself from one end of the line to the other on time in a 10% full 365 coach today. It smelt of damp, and maybe a little bit of toilet, the interior wall panels were dropping off and the combination of full blast heating and all of the windows open gave for an interesting top to toe temperature experience. It didn't feel like a route in crisis however, just a bit tired and manky.
In other words, a standard Networker experience. :D

alangla

Still not been mentioned on the twitter feed as far as I've seen. short forms are "due to maintenance requirements" apparently :rolleyes:
Journey check was describing it as "a train fault" - the knock-ons are enormous though, some E&G showing 3 vice 7/8, North Berwick showing 4 vice 6, Dunblane & Fifes showing 2 instead of 3, plenty of 3 vs 4 changes in Ayrshire too, presumably to get 380/1s freed up

MadCommuter

Interesting that they announced the start of the 314 withdrawals but nothing about their reintroduction.

Journeyman

Established Member
Interesting that they announced the start of the 314 withdrawals but nothing about their reintroduction.

Well, it's not a good news story. :( 0715 from Glasgow spotted at Linlithgow this morning was an absolutely rammed four-car 380.

youngac

I should be able to take pictures of the 385 on driver training at Central just after 15:00 if all runs as planned.

Christmas

They have jumped the gun on a few occasions and been left with egg on their collective faces when things go wrong. Perhaps keep the fanfare until the final units retire then celebrate their (314) longevity.

Getting back to the 385, if the brake issues are not resolved quickly then there will be major overcrowding by the December timetable change. Aren't there still ten 156s and a handful of 170s expected to leave in December? If so then this will obviously impact on existing sevices.

Southsider

They have jumped the gun on a few occasions and been left with egg on their collective faces when things go wrong. Perhaps keep the fanfare until the final units retire then celebrate their (314) longevity.

Getting back to the 385, if the brake issues are not resolved quickly then there will be major overcrowding by the December timetable change. Aren't there still ten 156s and a handful of 170s expected to leave in December? If so then this will obviously impact on existing sevices.
I guess if it’s a lengthy delay some 314s can be retained and there are more 365s available though only about 9 I believe. There are still some 321 to 320 conversions to emerge as well. Not ideal but it would fill some gaps.

snookertam

The franchise is going that badly for Abellio they're desperate for the slightest thing to crow about as good news. They tweeted several times on one day about the planned timetable changes in December recently.

snookertam

I guess if it’s a lengthy delay some 314s can be retained and there are more 365s available though only about 9 I believe. There are still some 321 to 320 conversions to emerge as well. Not ideal but it would fill some gaps.

The way things are going I wouldn't be surprised to see class 315 to 314 conversions being needed...

alangla

If December comes & Scotrail are still without 385s, what is the actual fall back plan? Add the 9 365s, keep the 314s and short-form everything else basically? If things like the all 6 car Airdrie trains were shelved then I guess that could free up some 320s for Cathcart/Neilston etc. Can Gourock drivers drive 320s? Realistically Ayrshire has to stay 380, but I guess some 334s could be robbed for North Clyde jobs to send even more 320s south & free more 380s for the E&G or North Berwick. Assume Dunblane & Alloa will be 365 as planned.

thetangoman

So. What really happened to withdraw them. I heard a rumour that it was a total brake failure and emergency brakes had to be applied.

youngac

Seen a photo of 013 with the new windshield fitted attached to another unit (105?) looking ready for delivery.

InOban

Established Member
There's now a delivery tun in RTT for Thursday. At least today they managed to cancel the light engine movement, no trip to the factory and back.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I can't seem to find the relevant post apologies, has it been said what the issue is that is grounding the fleet?

chuff chuff

Problem has been identified and solutions being worked on and tested and will be rolled out through the fleet.Can't say anymore than that.

Sirius

I don’t think anyone has offered anything factual over and above the Scotsman article.

Someone (and I can’t find the post) did allude to the situation not being as serious as some of the speculation on the go, but couldn’t offer details as it wouldn’t be worth their job!

thin_richmond

Allegedly, the fault is that in a 7 car formation only the front 4 cars were breaking, the computer was not telling the rear 3 cars of the formation to break.

Chuggington21

As chuff chuff said. Problem has been identified and a solution has been found. I believe they have tested it and driver training continues so take from that what you want.

InOban

Established Member
Which probably explains why there is a delivery run in RTT for tomorrow. There would be no point in sending sets which would need mods before they could run.

DanNCL

Established Member
385015 is out on test today - passed through Paisley Gilmour Street about 10 minutes ago

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 91

Sirius

If December comes & Scotrail are still without 385s, what is the actual fall back plan? Add the 9 365s, keep the 314s and short-form everything else basically? If things like the all 6 car Airdrie trains were shelved then I guess that could free up some 320s for Cathcart/Neilston etc. Can Gourock drivers drive 320s? Realistically Ayrshire has to stay 380, but I guess some 334s could be robbed for North Clyde jobs to send even more 320s south & free more 380s for the E&G or North Berwick. Assume Dunblane & Alloa will be 365 as planned.

If the worst happens I can’t see them moving 334s and short forming Airdrie - Balloch. The latter probably yes but not both.

Almost all trains on E-G via Airdrie/Bathgate having six carriages is the standard line on Scotrail’s twitter if there are problems or short forming on the Falkirk High line.

Status
Not open for further replies.