• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Club 50

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
Having recently returned to Scotland after a two year sojourn in Wales I note that Abellio seemed to have devalued the offer.

I'm sure you used to get special Flat Fares for either £1 each way or it may even have been £1 return to anywhere in Scotland so many times per year.

It has now morphed into a £17 return.

Also I seem to remember you used to get a free Hot Drink and this is now "half price".

When did this change ?

The 20% discount on tickets needs to be extended to cover more types than it does at the moment.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route:oxford

Established Member
Having recently returned to Scotland after a two year sojourn in Wales I note that Abellio seemed to have devalued the offer.

I'm sure you used to get special Flat Fares for either £1 each way or it may even have been £1 return to anywhere in Scotland so many times per year.

Also I seem to remember you used to get a free Hot Drink and this is now "half price".

When did this change ?

The 20% discount on tickets needs to be extended to cover more types than it does at the moment.

Here's a comparison of the 2010 and 2015 offer:-

https://www.nestrans.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/5a_ticketing_appendix2__Club_50_.pdf

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

When did this change ?

I can't remember when it changed, but it was Club 55 before.

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/archive/NFM17/times_fares/51219.html (NationalRail archive)
Overview

Travel for the over 55's anywhere in Scotland for only £19 return

Type of offer
Ordinary Promotion
Nearest stations
Details
To get this great Club 55 deal, all you need to do is provide proof that you’re 55 or over. It really is that easy!

Club 55

• Standard Class travel between any two stations in Scotland for only £19 return
  • It is also valid for travel from most stations in Scotland to and from Carlisle or Berwick-upon-Tweed
  • Club 55 is not subject to availability and does not need to be booked in advance
Club 55 Premier

If you want a touch of added luxury, Club 55 Premier lets you travel First Class for only £35 return on the following routes:

• Aberdeen and Inverness
  • Aberdeen and Edinburgh / Glasgow
  • Inverness and Edinburgh / Glasgow
To ensure the comfort of your trip, Club 55 Premier must be booked no later than 18:00 the day before travel and is subject to availability
Club 50 has a membership fee of £15 as well.

Butts

Veteran Member
I believe Club 55 started in "The First Scotrail Days" and morphed into Club 50 when Abellio took over the franchise.

The former was "seasonal" and the latter all year around discounts but at a cost.

As you say it cost's £15 for Club 50 but it was free the first year it started.

RJH

When Scotrail introduced Club 50, they offered free membership for the first year, so I got one. I think it saved me about £4 over the year, so when it came up for renewal in October 2016 at £15, I wouldn't have bothered, except that they offered one return Scotrail journey for £1, and unlimited journeys for £10, albeit over a period of just a few weeks. So I renewed, and used my £1 ticket for a Lockerbie - Lochluichart return, and also did a couple of £10 trips. In early 2017 when the next offer was on, it had gone up to £17 return, and I think it's remained at that price since then. There was no attractive offer to renew in 2017, so I didn't.

Butts

Veteran Member
When Scotrail introduced Club 50, they offered free membership for the first year, so I got one. I think it saved me about £4 over the year, so when it came up for renewal in October 2016 at £15, I wouldn't have bothered, except that they offered one return Scotrail journey for £1, and unlimited journeys for £10, albeit over a period of just a few weeks. So I renewed, and used my £1 ticket for a Lockerbie - Lochluichart return, and also did a couple of £10 trips. In early 2017 when the next offer was on, it had gone up to £17 return, and I think it's remained at that price since then. There was no attractive offer to renew in 2017, so I didn't.

Thanks for that I knew £1 figured somewhere along the line (:oops:)

Status
Not open for further replies.