Scotrail collects 2nd improvement notice

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by mcmad, 8 Feb 2019.

1. Mingulay

Mingulay Member

Good to hear there are some positives. What service do you use?

I assume the flagship Glasgow Edinburgh service must now be showing some meaningful improvement ? If not in journey time but in capacity ?

2. sannox

sannox Member

To be fair National Express had a far simpler and quieter network to run and much easier to recover delay- the explosion in commuting, increased frequencies and the linking of many services through bottlenecks has changed the position somewhat.

The increase in car commuting is concerning many local authorities keen to make air quality targets. Couple of points have impacted it- cheap finance makes it easy to buy a car and costs of motoring are cheaper in real terms than 20-30 years ago- compared to public transport.

It looks like service was recovered bar cancellations via Shotts due to power issues which also impacted TPE.

3. 47271

47271 Established Member

I thought so too, and said as much upthread, but this is what I'll be dealing with later. Looks like we're off again...
    ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

4. Class385

Class385 Member

A 365 failed around 9am in the Princess Street Gardens area between Haymarket and Waverley, pretty much the worst possible place to fail. Didn't help that it took almost 2 hours to move the unit which resulted in mass cancellations and delays.

Too many tight turnarounds for crew and not enough spare staff mean its like the perfect storm when it goes wrong.

5. Deltic1961

Deltic1961 Member

A couple of years ago when we were getting constant signal faults between Aberdeen and Inverurie (which are still happening BTW) I wrote to my MSP about the time it took to recover services in the event of disruption as it could take over 6 hours to get things back to normal.

I got a BS letter from Alex Hynes about "lessons learned" and how they had an integrated disaster recovery team (or something like that) to co-ordinate getting things back on track after disruption.

2 years on and nothing has changed. Surprisingly. If anything it's worse.

6. 68000

68000 Member

This is quite a stretch of the truth. The Scottish Parliament have introduced enabling legislation that allows councils to on introduce a parking levy. Now the council may decide to introduce this or more likely they may not. If they do, it is very likely to be introduced in areas the council consider to be overcrowded ie city centre locations. Most employers in city centre locations do not offer their staff free parking and it is generally the car allowance senior staff who get it. If people decide to drive to city centre locations they are probably paying for a car park space anyhow and the levy will not affect them. Councils are extremely unlikely to introduce the levy to industrial or business parks although looking at the amount of commuters who park on footpaths in these areas, something may need to be done to protect pedestrians.

On top of that, the employee will only affected if they have an allocated car park space and the employer passes on the levy

7. snookertam

snookertam Member

https://www.scotsman.com/news/trans...n-drivers-to-come-out-of-retirement-1-4874353

Regarding the stat that ScotRail are 39th out of 45 for drivers' pay, the salary is still very good and for someone entering the grade is not to be sniffed at. Sometimes things like this could be considered as bad luck, but it happens so much with Abellio I don't think that defence will really cut it.

8. Highlandspring

Highlandspring Established Member

I’ve heard a rumour that drivers who have recently left ScotRail to go to Virgin, LNER, Transpennine etc.. are getting cold calls out of the blue to let them know that if they find the grass isn’t greener and they ever want to come back then there will be a job waiting for them.

9. scotraildriver

scotraildriver Member

2 guys at my depot who are going to Transpennine had a call asking for their reasons for leaving. They cited the current rosters as their main reason, but given they haven't actually seen a roster for Transpennine there is no guarantee it's any better and were then asked how they knew the grass would be greener. There was no begging them though. Sundays are also inside the working week which means the increase in salary isn't as much as it seems, although more days off.

10. 380101

380101 Member

I'd say the workload for us ScotRail drivers, especially in the Strathclyde area is a big part of the reason guys/gals are leaving for other TOCs/FOCs. Having seen a Transpennine roster I don't blame the guys wanting to go! 2 all stoppers to Ayr and back and a ScotRail driver has stopped at more stations than a Virgin or TP driver will do in a week! More money for significantly less work is easily the main reason for driver's in ScotRail jumping ship to other companies! The salary increase is significant, even if you take the Sundays inside into consideration - the TP guus will be approx. 12k a year more and VWC guys are on 17k more a year than us! Whilst the money is not everything, it'll play a big part in it even if some of the terms and conditions may be not as good as ScotRail. We're the only TOC with a driver's sliding pay scale if we're removed from driving due to safety incidents or medical reasons and that one condition is worth thousands and hopefully we'll never sell it!

11. Mingulay

Mingulay Member

Fair play to you. You have a profession and if the market rate for that skill is higher elsewhere then it’s healthy there is a movement in employment opportunities. If Abellio have a pay structure or conditions that don’t make them attractive they have to adjust that to have sufficient staff to run the network with spare driver and guard capacity in reserve. Cancelling trains due to lack of staff is a management failing.

12. Deltic1961

Deltic1961 Member

Still chronic short forming, overcrowding, crew shortages and broken down trains every single day. Seems stop skipping is back as well.

Never mind, they're "working flat out" so it'll all be ok .... soon .......

13. 380101

380101 Member

Stop skipping was never as big an issue as was made out by the opposition parties and the press. The big effect of the "ban" on stop skipping was a massive increase in delayed trains, and surprise, surprise the opposition and press moaned about that too!

Stop skipping is an industry wide option to recover services in the quickest way possible - a small inconvenience for a few passengers that limits the disruption on the network.

But, I also understand the frustration of the passengers over the last 4 years, and trust me, frontline staff are just as frustrated! Despite what many passengers, and many of the members on this forum think, we do actually put maximum effort into attempting to deliver a good service for passengers. We don't like being late or getting cancelled anymore than the passengers do.

14. cb a1

cb a1 Member

The part of the network I travel on (GLQ <-> ABD) has improved considerably since the tail end of last year. Which areas are still getting it bad?

15. Deltic1961

Deltic1961 Member

Aberdeen to Inverness (Dyce)

It's been terrible lately.

16. Highland37

Highland37 Member

Glasgow to Inverness is very poor right now. 158s sometimes. trains often late including the one I picked my partner and daughter off last night which has been much more common in recent times (basically since the HSTs started to make and appearance but on this occasion, it was a 170).

17. Deltic1961

Deltic1961 Member

Today the 05:54 Inverness to Aberdeen commuter train was cancelled due to a fault (surprise surprise) and the next train only has two carriages. Who the hell is planning this?

18. scosutsut

scosutsut Member

North Berwicks are still struggling for capacity too. To the point now that it's unusual for peak runs not to be short-formed to their pre-timetable change capacity, which wasn't enough! Assume 385 availability is the main blocker as we don't regularly see 380s anymore.

19. 47271

47271 Established Member

Someone who has very limited resources at their disposal. It appears that sometimes they have nothing at their disposal.

20. Mingulay

Mingulay Member

Assuming you are a regular commuter on North Berwick. Have or are you aware of ever being asked to complete or participate in a Customer Satisfaction survey of late or ever? Given Scotrail still claim customer satisfaction in the high 80s % It seems to me that the surveys avoid routes which are routinely overcrowded and cancelled ?

21. route101

route101 Established Member

How many HSTS have operated Glasgow to Inverness , cant be many ?

22. scosutsut

scosutsut Member

Never asked, otherwise I would pan them!