• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail collects 2nd improvement notice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wst71Pa2

Try closer to 150 over the last 18 months! (over 10% of the total qualified drivers). There's a current recruitment ad for qualified drivers but I doubt many will want to come to ScotRail if they are with any of the big intercity TOCs - less money for more work???, a few freight drivers may be tempted by long term job security but ScotRail are not known for being keen on freight drivers but at the moment they'll take pretty much any qualified train driver I reckon!

Should have qualified that with 30+ in the last couple of months, like I said, unless you've got family who would benefit from the travel. I'd be surprised if they got half a dozen

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
The Scotrail 170 that I'm travelling in at the moment is full of advertising panels with the timely advice to 'try praying'.

InOban

Established Member
Will all these drivers being poached by TPE et al be still based in Scotland, or will they have to relocate? I can't see how they need so many for their Anglo Scottish trains.

Chrism20

Established Member
Will all these drivers being poached by TPE et al be still based in Scotland, or will they have to relocate? I can't see how they need so many for their Anglo Scottish trains.

IIRC their franchise spec is for something like an addition 16 or 18 services to/from Scotland per day from 2019 through the Glasgow/Liverpool and the extension of the newcastle services to Edinburgh.

No idea of the exact numbers required to run that but it will be fairly significant.

Yes, all based at the new TPE traincrew depot based in Glasgow Central. They need around 50 drivers I think (some TUPE'd across from Freightliner HH). Others have went to Virgin WC, LNER and Country. A small number have taken jobs with various freight companies.

Deltic1961

Another day of fun and games due to short forming, and now a signal fault at Perth.

The Twitter feed is entertaining but it is a total embarrassment to Scotland.

You are right, the abuse the ScotRail staff get on twitter is a total embarrassment to Scotland

Sirius

Points failure at Newbridge Jn now. Airdrie/Bathgate services starting back at Bathgate.

Deltic1961

You are right, the abuse the ScotRail staff get on twitter is a total embarrassment to Scotland

Today has been another s**tshow. I'm sure if Scotrail Alliance provided even remotely close to the service they're supposed to then the public would be more appreciative.

mde

Today has been another s**tshow. I'm sure if Scotrail Alliance provided even remotely close to the service they're supposed to then the public would be more appreciative.
There's no excuse really. Would people be comfortable with this verbal diarrhoea if it was expressed in person, rather than. behind a screen? I think not.

The service is perhaps less than stellar (being kind!); but, it really doesn't excuse the abuse that some of the punters generate. - the ScotRail feed isn't the only example of this, look at LNER for another example.

Mingulay

There's no excuse really. Would people be comfortable with this verbal diarrhoea if it was expressed in person, rather than. behind a screen? I think not.

The service is perhaps less than stellar (being kind!); but, it really doesn't excuse the abuse that some of the punters generate. - the ScotRail feed isn't the only example of this, look at LNER for another example.

It's a symptom of the medium. If you conduct your corporate dialogue with your customers online in a superficial way. Then it's likely you will get the reaction you find in all social media. I would say if the staff find it hard. Don't do It. If you can't hack customer interaction. Get another job. I don't think the customer reaction is unexpected. If your frustrated by a poor service. Rail road , holidays or any company. You let rip on line these days .the company has facilitated a platform for instant customer feedback. If that feedback is negative. Then they your service is not up to your customers expectations . Don't blame customers for getting the hump! I don't support online abuse. But if you fly with the crows you get shot as a crow

Deltic1961

Of course like any company there are going to be neds posting f**k Scotrail and such, I'm not talking about that but genuine customers who are let down.

Capture.JPG

route:oxford

Established Member

It was pretty much the norm prior to social media.

Why do you think there have been "dignity & respect" notices in banks, stations, council offices, JC+ offices for decades?

Mingulay

As we approach May and new timetable. Has there been any firm commitment when the cancellations for staff training or not enough staff will be behind us. As ever Scotrail are poor at keeping as all and more importantly the customer informed. On my route it seems to be better albeit in late for work now as my train cancelled and now overcrowded at Stirling , but it seems Fife is bad.

Is there an end in sight? Or are cancellations for short staffing here for the long term as Scotrail are not good employers or payers for drivers compared to other operators?

Now we have most of the new trains excuses are running out unless Abellio will suddenly blame brexit uncertainty for cancellations !!

El Blanco

As we approach May and new timetable. Has there been any firm commitment when the cancellations for staff training or not enough staff will be behind us. As ever Scotrail are poor at keeping as all and more importantly the customer informed. On my route it seems to be better albeit in late for work now as my train cancelled and now overcrowded at Stirling , but it seems Fife is bad.

Is there an end in sight? Or are cancellations for short staffing here for the long term as Scotrail are not good employers or payers for drivers compared to other operators?

Now we have most of the new trains excuses are running out unless Abellio will suddenly blame brexit uncertainty for cancellations !!
There was a statement in Holyrood yesterday where Scotrail have committed that the training will complete by May 19. Not sure whether or not that is May 19th or May 2019.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news...ion-four-months-after-winter-timetable-chaos/

Fife continues to be poor. Both loco hauled were cancelled yesterday morning due to to staff (guards I assume) shortages. That is a loss of 12 carriages in the rush hour. The following train was a 3 car and there was a report of someone fainting on it.

The report linked above also contains a statement that service improvements will not be fully realised until the new trains are operational. For Fife this will be when the HST’s are fully in service allowing the redeployment of the 170’s. It is reasonable to deduce that the capacity issues are likely to be around until 2020.

Last edited:

Mingulay

There was a statement in Holyrood yesterday where Scotrail have committed that the training will complete by May 19. Not sure whether or not that is May 19th or May 2019.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news...ion-four-months-after-winter-timetable-chaos/

Fife continues to be poor. Both loco hauled were cancelled yesterday morning due to to staff (guards I assume) shortages. That is a loss of 12 carriages in the rush hour. The following train was a 3 car and there was a report of someone fainting on it.

The report linked above also contains a statement that service improvements will not be fully realised until the new trains are operational. For Fife this will be when the HST’s are fully in service allowing the redeployment of the 170’s. It is reasonable to deduce that the capacity issues are likely to be around until 2020.

That response from Abellio Scotrail does not inform in reality. Even with training complete , do they have enough staff to run the timetable with no cancellations ? If not then I assume heavy fines must be due , on top of fines they should be incurring for dirty trains etc

Mingulay

How would that help?

In reality I agree it would not . Financial penalties may be the only sanction to ensure terms and conditions are attractive enough to employ the required staff. with some to spare for illness and holidays .

Deltic1961

But there's still no agreement on who's fault this mess is. Obviously the late refurb of HSTs, late delivery of 385s, staff leaving for more pay with other operators signalling faults, lots of train faults.

Ultimately the buck stops somewhere. Everyone is just blaming everyone else!

Mingulay

But there's still no agreement on who's fault this mess is. Obviously the late refurb of HSTs, late delivery of 385s, staff leaving for more pay with other operators signalling faults, lots of train faults.

Ultimately the buck stops somewhere. Everyone is just blaming everyone else!

If Abellio are not delivering the timetable regardless of the cause they should get fined .

If they feel they have a good claim against Hitachi or Wabtec, that is a matter for them , not the passenger or the Govt . The fine should not be conditional on fault elsewhere or not .

The buck stops with Scotrail

Seems that quite a few 385s with main toilet out of service ?

Mingulay

It would be no help whatsoever but those who believe the performance will magically be 100% if someone is given the boot will still come out with it

Your right , but that does not rule out the possibility that a different operator with a different culture would not improve things. 100% is untenable. But so is the farcical claim of customer satisfaction in the 80s%. Never been asked never seen a customer surveyed or interviewed in 20 years of rail travel . I do witness day in day out week in week out a high level of dissatisfaction amongst most fellow passengers. Not scientific but we all know claims made by the rail industry bear little resemblance to the majority using our trains in Scotland these last few years.

So the question remains unanswered. The end of cancelled trains due to staff shortages when ?

alangla

Never been asked never seen a customer surveyed or interviewed in 20 years of rail travel .
To be fair, I’ve been surveyed before. They just turned up at my local station in AM rush & handed out forms that could either be handed or posted back. Not seen a SQUIRE inspector for ages though, used to see loads of them, are Transport Scotland not bothering any more?

Your right , but that does not rule out the possibility that a different operator with a different culture would not improve things. 100% is untenable. But so is the farcical claim of customer satisfaction in the 80s%. Never been asked never seen a customer surveyed or interviewed in 20 years of rail travel . I do witness day in day out week in week out a high level of dissatisfaction amongst most fellow passengers. Not scientific but we all know claims made by the rail industry bear little resemblance to the majority using our trains in Scotland these last few years.

So the question remains unanswered. The end of cancelled trains due to staff shortages when ?

How would a new operator quicken things up or undo the Class 385 delay or the HST coach refurb delay?

GrimShady

Established Member
No replacement is going to be 100% better, that's not the point. They have proved utterly incapable of managing the franchise since it started. Everything has been late, seriously late and mismanaged. This alone is cause enough for them being stripped of the franchise. It's about time they paid the ultimate financial penalty. Most staff would probably agree. I fail to understand anyone who would want to defend them.

Status
Not open for further replies.