• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Conductors Issuing Tickets Valid on LNER Only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
I boarded the 0624 Scotrail service from Haymarket to Falkirk Grahamston and bought a single with a Railcard from The Conductor. The ticket I was issued with was slightly cheaper than normal and embellished with "Valid on London and North Eastern Railway Only"

This I may have put down to a one off anomaly had I not bought a ticket onboard the other day (a return ) between the same destinations and received another ticket with the LNER caveat on.

What is going on ? - The Return was slightly cheaper as well.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Does seem on the face of it that you have been incorrectly issued with tickets that are only meant to be used on the (daily?) LNER 'Highland Chieftain' service, i.e. the one that calls at Falkirk Grahamston on its way to Inverness.

As a general aside, are there not ticket barriers at Haymarket requiring passengers to have valid tickets before boarding, or are they not in operation at that time in the morning? (Never been there quite that early!)

Mak1981

It's a cheaper ticket probably a mistake and just pressed the first option that came up rather than looking at the validity

Butts

Veteran Member
Does seem on the face of it that you have been incorrectly issued with tickets that are only meant to be used on the (daily?) LNER 'Highland Chieftain' service, i.e. the one that calls at Falkirk Grahamston on its way to Inverness.

As a general aside, are there not ticket barriers at Haymarket requiring passengers to have valid tickets before boarding, or are they not in operation at that time in the morning? (Never been there quite that early!)

Yes there are barriers at Haymarket which are open until about 6.40am normally.

You can buy tickets onboard which I elected to do (running a bit close to departure time on arrival).

Once I could have understood with the rogue ticket but seemed strange twice in a row. Mind you they have only just started coming around again so perhaps a bit rusty.

superjohn

Is ticket acceptance still in place due to the LNER Azuma issues? If so that might be the cheapest valid ticket depending on the interpretation of the rules.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Is ticket acceptance still in place due to the LNER Azuma issues? If so that might be the cheapest valid ticket depending on the interpretation of the rules.
Could be, but, if so, it seems a very generous concession given that the handful of timetabled Haymarket-Grahamston LNER services aren't normally scheduled to run until mid afternoon/early evening.

Butts

Veteran Member
It's bad enough with half our passengers travelling on XC Only Haymarket to Edinburgh tickets discounted with the Jobseekers Allowance without your mob getting in on the act. ;)

With all due respect your colleagues were in hiding for over a year which allowed all the fare dodging to escalate.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Could it be anything to do with the fact that the "LNER ONLY" tickets are issued specifically to Falkirk Grahamston, whereas the Any Permitted tickets are issued to Falkirk Stations? E.g. perhaps the ticket machine software prioritises those fares defined directly to the station?

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Could it be anything to do with the fact that the "LNER ONLY" tickets are issued specifically to Falkirk Grahamston, whereas the Any Permitted tickets are issued to Falkirk Stations? E.g. perhaps the ticket machine software prioritises those fares defined directly to the station?
Don't know about ScotRail's TIS but it actually makes it harder to find on ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.