• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

scotrail DMU fleet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found a thread on the scotrail 170s but I think its best to start a fresh. With the EMU scotrail fleet coming along nicely being refurbished and repainted. When are the 156s going to get repainted? Have they reach Perth or dundee in the past few years?

Is it true that the 156s might come off lease from scotrail in the next few years? And are they no longer going to work on the paisley canal line once its electricfied in december?

Are the ex northern 158s going to get more of a internal refurbishment like the inverness 158s and when will the rest of the 158s get repainted into saltire livery?

What internal refurbishment are the ex hull, suburban and SPT 170s having? Will they follow 170425-432 with their internal refresh?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Forgot to mention on what will happen to the DMU fleet when most of the lines around Glasgow and Edinburgh get electrified after 2016, used to strengthen services on non-electrified lines such as inverness and aberdeen lines?

Will scotrail get new EMUs, if so what will the class number be and how many will units will they get when they start being made?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rail-britain

Established Member
When are the 156s going to get repainted? Have they reach Perth or dundee in the past few years?
Looks to me like this was completed quite recently
Units aren't repainted any more, they are simply stripped to a plain livery and then have vinyls applied

Is it true that the 156s might come off lease from scotrail in the next few years? And are they no longer going to work on the paisley canal line once its electricfied in december?
Yes, once the Glasgow South electrification is completed (2018 to 2020) the vast majority of the fleet will be returned to RoSCo
The Paisley Canal electrification will release between 2 and 4 Class 156 units, they will be redeployed in order to release Class 158 units (hence the change on the Shotts service back to Class 156)

Are the ex northern 158s going to get more of a internal refurbishment like the inverness 158s and when will the rest of the 158s get repainted into saltire livery?

What internal refurbishment are the ex hull, suburban and SPT 170s having? Will they follow 170425-432 with their internal refresh?
This is ongoing and is due to be completed by the end of the current franchise

Forgot to mention on what will happen to the DMU fleet when most of the lines around Glasgow and Edinburgh get electrified after 2016, used to strengthen services on non-electrified lines such as inverness and aberdeen lines?

Will scotrail get new EMUs, if so what will the class number be and how many will units will they get when they start being made?
Some of the Class 170 units will be cascaded to the GSW, to take over from Class 156 units
Some of the Class 170 units will be retained on ScotRail Express duties, as a result many services will operate virtually permanently as 6 car (such as Glasgow / Edinburgh - Aberdeen and Edinburgh - Inverness)

Details for the new EMU are due in two months time
It is expected to be an order for 28 three car units and 8 four car units
The three car units will mainly be used in 6 car formation between Glasgow QS and Edinburgh

apestyler

Will the new EMU order include replacing the awful Class 314 units? As a driver of these it would nice to know if they're finally going to be replaced.

I was reading another thread and the 314s look to stay till around 2015; apparently they are suited to pottering around on the Glasgow lines, and ideal to keep them a while longer!

apestyler

Makes sense with the recent referb on them - hope they don't stay around much longer than that!

apestyler

Are the 314s pretty bad to drive then?

Haven't been driving for long but one of the most annoying things about these units are ... brake performance can differ quite a bit from each unit (sometimes from the A & B end), you can get an excellent step 2 bite in 1 unit, other times it feels like you're still in step 1 in another.

There's no PIS or on-train CCTV for the doors, while I don't mind doing announcements, having to constantly get out of your seat can become a pain. Finally the cabs are quite grubby with the saloon/cab door providing little to no security compared to a 380 cab door.

Plus sides are that they're simple units, and not much can go wrong in them, they're also pretty reliable and as you mentioned above on short routes around Glasgow, good acceleration up to around 45mph.

rail-britain

Established Member
Will the new EMU order include replacing the awful Class 314 units? As a driver of these it would nice to know if they're finally going to be replaced.
I suspect the flexibility in the next franchise will answer this
New units will be required however the wording is, "The new franchise holder will be able to acquire new or replacement rolling stock as specified by Transport Scotland"

The current routes (Cathcart Circle / Newton) only requires a unit capable of 50mph
Therefore suitable second hand units cascaded from other electrification / fleet replacement could be acquired (converted / modified to 3 car formation if required)
I suspect this will be the preferred option

D365

Veteran Member
I would order more 380s and cascade a number of 318s or 320s to replace the 314s where necessary.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Given the scaling back of ambitions recently (postponing electrification to Stirling/ Dunblane/ Alloa etc for a few years) I wouldn't expect the forthcoming EMU order to be quite as exciting as was previously expected.

SC318250

Given the scaling back of ambitions recently (postponing electrification to Stirling/ Dunblane/ Alloa etc for a few years) I wouldn't expect the forthcoming EMU order to be quite as exciting as was previously expected.

I suspect it will be an order of X sets, with and option of additional sets by a certain date

tom1649

Makes sense with the recent referb on them - hope they don't stay around much longer than that!

Why? What have they ever done to you? Good, simple units the 314s with no electronics to go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.