Scotrail Franchise - Abellio

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by Scotrail88, 21 Jul 2014.

1. 3141

3141 Established Member

I remember the rumour back in 2005 (or whenever) that the winner of the Scotrail franchise was going to be Arriva.

2. overthewater

overthewater Established Member

Scotrail has nothing to do with the DFT ;) Unless they have ears in Leith I doubt they're any the wiser :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: 29 Sep 2014
  3. Bodiddly

Bodiddly Member

But do they have equally good sources in Transport Scotland?

4. Suraggu

Suraggu Member

All of it will be officially rumours until it is officially announced by Transport Scotland. But yes we were told sometime in October 2014 would be the official announcement.

Then a few weeks later the DfT should be announcing the East Coast Franchise winner. Although this year has shown interesting results with franchise winners.

5. Manchester77

Manchester77 Established Member

Following the ICEC announcement I hope everyone is prepared for the hours on the news of people saying how we're losing out because DOR won't be running it, conveniently ignoring the fact that when IEP is rolled out onto ICEC it will wipe out any premium they pay to the DfT

6. KX03HZY

KX03HZY Member

Id say National Express or Abellio for Scotrail, Stagecoach/Virgin or Keolis/Eurostar for ICEC

7. 387star

387star Established Member

Another blow for my staff travel :cry:

8. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

I wonder if the rumour regarding 158s transferring from Scotrail to TPE will be cleared up when the announcement is made.

9. Suraggu

Suraggu Member

At this point it could be anyone.

10. Blindtraveler

Blindtraveler Established Member

This is the first I had heard of it, id have thought theyd have more use for 170s

11. thealexweb

thealexweb Member

They would but the Scottish Government would never let new stock leave their railways.

12. LNW-GW Joint

LNW-GW Joint Veteran Member

I doubt if there is a "plan" to transfer 158s to TPE.
    Each bidder will have different plans for Scotrail stock, and I would have thought only First Group will know enough to perhaps plot a way through the maze by aiming to move stock between FSC and FTPE if they win.
    Nobody else will have the knowledge, or even desire, and Transport Scotland won't be interested in what happens to any non-retained stock.
    It will probably have to wait until the dominos fall after the announcement.
    There's very little scope anyway until EGIP gets more wires and new EMUs are delivered.

13. backontrack

backontrack Established Member

More people coming out for independence too late then. :lol:

14. thealexweb

thealexweb Member

I disagree that Scotrail has no stock to spare. When the 380s were first delivered Scotrail was supposed to release some of their Class 318s, instead they were kept and underused for years. Now their Class 318s are being properly used around Motherwell thanks to recent electrification and this has lead to the displaced Class 156s being surplus to requirements. They are currently being used for one off-jobs like strengthening rural services during roadworks and helping with the Ryder's Cup but beyond that they are not needed. This combined with reinstating the second loco-hauled Fife circle diagram could easily free up five DMUs at a starting point.

15. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

If you recall 8 of the 158s at Scotrail were actually intended for Northern Rail and while Scotrail have refurbished most of their 158s, those 8 remain untouched suggesting their long-term future at Scotrail hadn't been guaranteed.

It seems someone at DfT leaked that 8 x 158s from Northern will transfer to TPE, despite no negotiations with Northern and Northern having a guarantee in their Direct Award agreement that they will get 14 x 319s as additional capacity and won't lose any DMUs without getting replacement stock.

I suspect DfT were trying to cover something up - but what exactly? Maybe that Scotrail may lose trains at the time of a Scottish Independence referendum?

16. 170401

170401 Member

Interestingly enough these 8 also appear to have been left out of the Wifi program with all (I think) except these 8 now having it fitted. Seems to be pretty good too, vast improvement on that fitted to the 170 stock ;)

17. 3141

3141 Established Member

Why would DfT leak something if they were trying to cover something up?

18. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

Leak something which could be misinterpreted to try to stop people jumping to a logical conclusion about something else?

19. 3141

3141 Established Member

Maybe, but if DfT leaked that Northern were going to lose eight trains and people in the Northern areas believed it there'd be another protest like the one when it was reported that FTPE were going to lose their class 170s to Chiltern.

And there are enough people with some knowledge about things, like those on this forum, who might say that the operator with stock to spare was Scotrail, so they should lose some trains instead.

The best way to cover something up is not to start talking about it, or anything related to it.

An alternative interpretation, which will appeal to some on here, is that the DfT isn't competent enough to realise that.

Anyway, when the winner of the Scotrail franchise is announced, we'll probably all be surprised by who it is and the details of what they're going to do.

20. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

Someone leaked something to BBC News. The day after North West Tonight reported 9 x TPE 170s going to Chiltern, they did a report on a proposed solution being Northern lose 8 x 158s to TPE. The former has been confirmed by Chiltern, TPE, Porterbrook and DfT, the latter has been confirmed by no-one but has been mentioned by Labour MPs in parliament with the Conservative MPs just going on about electrification in response, so they aren't confirming or denying it.

Last edited: 29 Sep 2014
  21. thealexweb

thealexweb Member

Quite unexpected. I thought all the buzz had been around National Express. As someone who lives in Edinburgh I am tempted to go to the announcement. Does anyone know what time it will be at?

Source: http://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/first-lose-scotrail-franchise-to-dutch-firm-abellio-1-3565659

22. Blindtraveler

The Scotsmans website and Facebook page reporting tonight that Abellio are expected to be announced tomorrow as the winners. If so, Im happy as if First, who have by and large done a decent job with it didnt retain it I'd want MTR or Abellio.↲

23. thealexweb

thealexweb Member

How much of the franchise detail will be revealed tomorrow at Edinburgh Waverley? Does anyone know what time the announcement is at.

24. overthewater

overthewater Established Member

I did say Abellio had a good chance of winning ;)

25. thealexweb

thealexweb Member

Serco Sleeper and Abellio Scotrail... Northern Rail has come to the north XD

26. GaryMcEwan

GaryMcEwan Established Member

27. LNW-GW Joint

LNW-GW Joint Veteran Member

If true, at least the SNP can say the winner is not "English".
    But (again, if true) a bad loss for FirstGroup following on from FCC, and another bid failure by Arriva.
    DB will be cross.

Edit:
    The BBC now has it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-29531099

Last edited: 7 Oct 2014
  28. kevconnor

kevconnor Member

If true, and given the quotes about expertise with Northern one could see there being a detrimental impact on Northern with a drain on experienced senior management being poached from Northern to head up Scotrail from early next year.

29. TUC

TUC Established Member

'Northern Rail in particular shares many of the characteristics of the ScotRail service'-except that one current company is competent and the other isn't. Poor Scotrail ...

30. Blindtraveler

The Serco/Abellio tyup makes sense for the continued happy working of the sleapers if nothing else.