• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Franchise - Abellio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Good heavens, even by the standards of Neil Bibby and the Scottish media - it's the main story on the front page of the Herald's print edition this morning - this is desperate stuff.

It's difficult to discern the self serving analysis that's the source of the 'figures', but I suspect the back of an envelope in Bibby's office. What exactly is the basis for focusing on a particular 43 out of 73 stations?

And then both Transport Focus and The Herald fall for it. Even The Scotsman hasn't touched the story.

I thought we'd seen the back of this nonsense.

Half of ScotRail trains miss punctuality targets at Scotland's busiest stations

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...ality_targets_at_Scotland_s_busiest_stations/

SCOTLAND’S rail operator has failed to meet a target for trains to arrive on time at nearly three-fifths of stations, according to figures.

A total of 43 out of 73 stations missed ScotRail’s public performance measure, which currently stands at 90.8 per cent, to arrive or terminate within five minutes of schedule in July. The stations include Edinburgh Waverley, Aberdeen, Dundee, Perth and Inverness.

Passenger watchdog Transport Focus described the performance as “disappointing” while Scottish Labour said the number of trains arriving late is “unacceptable”.

Most stations fell just short of the target but some stations were way off, such as Wick, Markinch, and Arbroath, where around one-third of trains arrive more than five minutes late.

One-fifth of trains arriving at the busy commuter station in Milngavie arrived more than five minutes late.

Half of the trains arriving at Scotland’s busiest stations – in Edinburgh and Glasgow – arrived between one and five minutes late, while at some stations the number of trains arriving on time was as low as 28 per cent at Ardrossan Harbour, and about 40 per cent at Arbroath, Carnoustie, Elgin, Girvan and Wick.

David Sidebottom, Transport Focus director, said: “Following ScotRail’s efforts to improve punctuality over the past year, it would be disappointing if these performance results were signalling some worsening.

“Transport Focus’s most recent National Rail Passenger Survey showed both an increase in overall passenger satisfaction for ScotRail to 90 per cent and also in punctuality after poor results last autumn.

“Punctuality is the most important factor which contributes to passengers’ satisfaction with their train service and it is imperative that both ScotRail and Network Rail maintain a relentless focus on performance.”

Transport spokesman for the Scottish Labour Party, Neil Bibby, said: “Over the past year Scottish Labour has been campaigning for better rail services alongside passengers and railway workers.“Railway workers should be thanked for their hard work and perseverance in what has been a difficult year for ScotRail.

“However, passengers will want to see continued action to tackle delayed services.

“These latest figures show there is still a considerable problem. It is unacceptable services at nearly 60 per cent of stations failed to hit the performance target last month.

“Scottish Labour will continue to keep up the pressure on ScotRail and the SNP Government to meet the expectations and needs of Scotland’s passengers in the months ahead.”

ScotRail stressed the statistics only show below-target performance at 43 of its 359 stations – amounting to just 12 per cent of its stations.

A ScotRail spokesman said: “Of the 60,000 services that we ran last month, 94 per cent of them arrived on time.

“That’s up from 91.1 per cent last year, and exceeds the 90.9 per cent target in the performance improvement plan.

“We’re well ahead of operators in England and Wales, where the annual performance standard shows only 87.9 per cent of trains arrive on time.

“We are building the best railway Scotland has ever had, and we are delivering record-equalling satisfaction scores of 90 per cent at a time of huge investment to our network that will deliver faster trains, more seats and better services.”

A Transport Scotland spokesman said: “ScotRail has been working hard to lift performance, as can be evidenced by several months of sustained improvement, with the annual average PPM measure now at 90.5 per cent, the highest it has been in two years and higher than many other operators down south.

“However, there is no room for complacency.”

Blindtraveler

Established Member
FFS what a slow news story. I'm a well known chritic of Scotrail and am no fan of the SNP and its policies but this just seams petty and stupid to me.
Taking figurs for July is mad to say the least as its holiday season and in the case of Edinburgh's Westen bays we are a platform down just now.

The fact they are managing to run a service at all with the DMU refurbishment ongoing and a rolling stock plan dating from the 90s, i.e. Short DMUs on express work is amazing in itself given what passenger numbers now are, the result being said DMUs are in many cases inadiquat.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Speeking of DMUs has anyone got an update on how the 158 refits are doing? Have they finished the Inverness 25 yet and if so have they started on the Haymarket ones? I assume these will take longer given its a full strip and refurb rather than a refresh like the Highland units.

signallerscot

Speeking of DMUs has anyone got an update on how the 158 refits are doing? Have they finished the Inverness 25 yet and if so have they started on the Haymarket ones? I assume these will take longer given its a full strip and refurb rather than a refresh like the Highland units.
158731 is done and out in traffic.

Mordac

Established Member
Cheers, given the state the Haymarket lot are in 2 months or so is impressive.

Indeed, a those units are singularly unpleasant for their claustrophobic environment (the only worse train for this that I've experienced is the standard class on 373 eurostars).

Clansman

Established Member
Sorry to be proper negative, but given the state of the Haymarket units, and the fact that there are still a lot in that state left, why did ScotRail see fit to refurbish the Inverness ones first?

DuncanS

More political nonsense -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-40861435

Whilst the concept is a nice idea, at the moment how would they know what train I have taken - I buy a weekly ticket for my commute so if the 1307 is delayed by 45 minutes then I don't care and wouldn't expect the money back but if the 0811 is cancelled then how would they know I was due to take that train anyway and hadn't decided to have an extra 30 minutes in my scratcher and get the 0842?

Yes its a fine idea if you have paid by card and booked a specific train but the majority of journeys in Scotland wont be pre-booked on specific trains.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Sorry to be proper negative, but given the state of the Haymarket units, and the fact that there are still a lot in that state left, why did ScotRail see fit to refurbish the Inverness ones first?

With sinic mode fully engaged, for a quick win publicity wise...Look at our shiny, refurbished, 2020 compliant, tourist spec units.

They haymarket lot were always going to be a major challenge as other than the odd seat cover or replacement button they hadnt been touched in years.

Clansman

Established Member
With sinic mode fully engaged, for a quick win publicity wise...Look at our shiny, refurbished, 2020 compliant, tourist spec units.

They haymarket lot were always going to be a major challenge as other than the odd seat cover or replacement button they hadnt been touched in years.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great refurbishment program, but they really are taking the p*ss by marketing it as "scenic", when in reality, both the Inverness and Haymarket seating layouts come off worse than when they went under the spanner.

alexf380

Established Member

Even though they were in a much better shape cosmetically, I believe the Inverness units were due an overhaul before the Haymarket lot. I seem to remember they had a few mods back in 2008/09 once the Inverness refurb was completed.

JohnR

More political nonsense -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-40861435

Whilst the concept is a nice idea, at the moment how would they know what train I have taken - I buy a weekly ticket for my commute so if the 1307 is delayed by 45 minutes then I don't care and wouldn't expect the money back but if the 0811 is cancelled then how would they know I was due to take that train anyway and hadn't decided to have an extra 30 minutes in my scratcher and get the 0842?

Yes its a fine idea if you have paid by card and booked a specific train but the majority of journeys in Scotland wont be pre-booked on specific trains.

If you use smart card, then of course they know - from when you tap in and when you tap out.

Some people seem to want to attack reasonable ideas simply because of where they come from.

DuncanS

Who is attacking? Just asking some questions about the practicalities of it, most people don't have smart cards.

JohnR

Describing it as "political nonsense" seems to suggest you have already made your mind up.

Established Member
I thought that it might be helpful to lift the full piece from The Herald, which seems to have replaced The Scotsman as Bibby's organ for his second attempt on Scotrail in a year.

To be fair, I've got far less of a problem with today's work than yesterday's. At least it's overtly political and states Labour's position on the two franchises let by the Scottish Government. Although a thirteen year avowal on Caledonian Sleeper when you make no comment on, and probably have no clue about, Serco's current performance, give it a rest Neil.

What I don't like is the way that The Herald has allowed itself to be choreographed through this story over the past two days. Concocted performance outrage on Monday, Labour 'blueprint' on Tuesday.

Tomorrow, in a Herald exclusive, Labour will promise free haggis neeps and tatties served to the seats to all Scotrail passengers.

Call for automatic passenger refunds for ScotRail delays

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...omatic_passenger_refunds_for_ScotRail_delays/

PASSENGERS should automatically receive refunds for train delays, Scottish Labour will say today, as it publishes a new blueprint to improve the country’s railways.

ScotRail paid out more than £2000 a day in compensation for hold-ups and poor service between April and December last year, with around 40,000 people lodging complaints.

Scotland’s rail operator also suffered punctuality problems at three-fifths of stations in July, including Edinburgh Waverley, Aberdeen, Dundee, Perth and Inverness.

Disgruntled passengers can fill out an online claim form for a partial refund, which ScotRail says should be processed within 10 days.

A delay of between 30 and 59 minutes entitles passengers to a 50 per cent refund of a single journey or 25 per cent of a return, and a one to two hour delay means a full refund for a single trip or half a return.

Labour’s proposal is for automatic refunds to ScotRail passengers using smart cards or who buy tickets using credit or debit cards.

The change would be backed up by an advertising campaign about the other compensation methods aimed at those paying cash.

Labour said the Scottish Government should “put pressure” on ScotRail franchise holder Abellio to introduce the refund scheme as soon as possible.

The party said it would also make it a requirement if ScotRail was publicly run.

Transport spokesperson Neil Bibby MSP said: “Delayed trains are still a major problem on the ScotRail network, despite improvements in recent months.

“Passengers have always been entitled to compensation for significant delays, but many are unaware of their rights. Scottish Labour has repeatedly called on the Scottish Government to run an awareness campaign.

“Now we are demanding that automatic compensation is introduced for passengers paying by card if their train is 30 minutes or more late.

"We want a railway system that puts passengers before profits and automatic compensation for delays would do just that.”

The refund idea is part of Scottish Labour’s plan for a “radical overhaul” of the railways.

Under the blueprint, ScotRail and the Caledonian Sleeper would be brought into public ownership when the franchises expire in 2025 and 2030 respectively, there would be free wifi across the network, and legal duties to improve access for the disabled.

A spokesman for the ScotRail Alliance said: “We know how frustrating any delay can be, which is why we already offer compensation to customers who have been delayed by 30 minutes or more. There is an option for that to be paid electronically.

“It is quick and easy for customers to claim money back, particularly online.

"The most recent figures show that 94 per cent of our trains are on time, and that nine out of 10 customers are satisfied with ScotRail. The investment we are making in new and better trains will mean faster journeys, more seats and better services."

Scottish Government quango Transport Scotland said ScotRail’s existing refund system was already better than under some other franchises.

A spokeswoman said: “We welcome any measures which would make it easier for passengers to claim compensation and work with ScotRail is ongoing in this respect as part of our continuous improvement process for the franchise.”

On punctuality at ScotRail, she said performance was at its highest for two years.

“However there is no room for complacency. The ScotRail franchise contains the toughest quality regime in the UK to drive up standards with financial contributions reinvested towards enhancing customer experience, as well as 200 new services, 20,000 more seats per day and better journey times by 2018. We expect this to continue with as ScotRail maintain the actions in their Performance Improvement Plan.

“The Scottish Government will continue to deliver against the £5 billion programme committed over the five years to 2019 that will help transform Scotland’s railway and make it fit for the 21st century.”

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
If I purchase an open ticket using my credit card, how will the system know which trains I caught in order to process a refund?

Automatic refunds for advance tickets makes sense if purchased from the TOC directly as they know which train(s) you should have caught.

The only improvement I would make to the online claim system is getting rid of the requirement to cut the ticket in half before making a claim

DuncanS

Describing it as "political nonsense" seems to suggest you have already made your mind up.

No, no it doesn't.

It suggests I treat all politicians with the contempt they deserve, whether or not its a good idea is something totally different.

route101

Established Member
Bit of a strange one yesterday .
I was travelling Kirkcaldy to Edinburgh and in the paper timetable there was a 1629 to Tweedbank via Edinburgh . When i got to Kirkcaldy there no mention of this train on station monitors nor scotrail app . I know there was problems at Haymarket but the 1646 VTEC service and service before were on time , timetable mistake ?

XC90

I won't be posting here anymore I'm afraid after Alastair Dalton of the Scotsman copied and published many of my comments on the Scotsman twitter. Too risky I dont fancy getting in bother.

Lazy lazy journalism.

My auto correct changed journalism to journalist but I don't want get personal. Seems my smart phone is really smart.

alexf380

Established Member
Bit of a strange one yesterday .
I was travelling Kirkcaldy to Edinburgh and in the paper timetable there was a 1629 to Tweedbank via Edinburgh . When i got to Kirkcaldy there no mention of this train on station monitors nor scotrail app . I know there was problems at Haymarket but the 1646 VTEC service and service before were on time , timetable mistake ?

Many services through Glenrothes (Where that one starts ) were cancelled yesterday so it was probably wiped from the face of the earth to avoid confusion.

route101

Established Member
Many services through Glenrothes (Where that one starts ) were cancelled yesterday so it was probably wiped from the face of the earth to avoid confusion.

Ah i thought it would say it was cancelled . The northbound services were running late .

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Was another turbulant night for Fife tonight too as whilst many of the units opperated OK the 2 LHCS hit trouble due to points problems in the West which badly held up the empties for the 17:07 and cansled the 17:20 totally.
The former was started from Inverkeithing but otherwise completed its circle as usual.

Established Member
This doesn't quite suit the established political narrative!

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...ke_mockery_of__quot_profiteering__39__claims/

Dutch giant bails out ScotRail after losses make mockery of "profiteering' claims

HOLLAND's nationalised railways have bailed out ScotRail with a multi-million loan after the train operator suffered its first loss in more than a decade.

After nearly a year of accusations of "profiteering" in Scotland, Netherlands-based Abellio has confirmed it has effectively been subsidising service improvements north of the border.

New annual accounts show a division of the Netherlands state-owned railway this year extended £10m in credit to its Scottish subsidiary.

This came after Abellio ScotRail Limited suffered a £3.5m after-tax loss for 2016, its first full year in charge of most of Scotland's train services.

Abellio ScotRail, however, said its outlook was "robust" and stressed its current investments in stock would see new "faster, longer and greener' trains hit Scottish tracks, which are owned by the UK Government, later this year.

The losses came in a difficult year for the ScotRail as its service dipped below the standards of reliability and punctuality required by its franchise deal with the Scottish Government. They have since recovered and are among the best in the UK.

Abellio ScotRail did not explain in its accounts why it made a loss. However, poor performance, partly blamed on knock-on disruption from major infrastructure work at Queen Street station in Glasgow, may have cut income, sources said.

Train operators across the UK also saw some passengers move back on to the roads in 2016 as the drop in the oil price brought down the cost of petrol at the pumps.

The loss in 2016 came after an after-tax profit of £9.5m - more than a million a month, in April-December 2015.

That figure, despite sparking protests, was dramatic reduction in profitability from the last years of the previous franchise, First Group. Industry insiders always stress that train operating companies - whose margins can be wafer thin - tend to make their investments in the first part of their franchises and their profits at the end.

Abellio ScotRail's 2015 profits formed the basis of a campaign against the franchise by trade unions and some Labour figures.

The RMT general secretary Mick Cash in late 2016 referred to Abellio

'profiteering". He said: "The million pounds a month that is being stripped out by Abellio and shipped across the North Sea to Holland would go a long way to addressing the staffing, safety and performance issues that are dragging Scotrail down."

However, Companies House filings show that Abellio ScotRail's Dutch parent company has not sought or received any dividend since the franchise began. Official documents show the only money crossing the North Sea has been from the Netherlands to Scotland, not the other way round.

The 2016 accounts show a "Group Loan support" of £10m from Abellio Transport Holdings BV, a sister company registered in Utrecht in the Netherlands, which, like Abellio ScotRail, is ultimately owned by Dutch Railways, NV Nederlandse Spoorwegen,

Last month left wing activist group Momentum, a key plank of Jeremy Corbyn's support, shared a video alleging Abellio ScotRail's profits were going to The Netherlands.

The video, which showed Dutch stereotypes, was condemned by the SNP's transport minister as "untrue" and "bordering on xenophobic". The video's makers responded by saying Mr Yousaf was siding with "profiteers".

ScotRail last week announced that 94 per cent of its trains had meet government standards for reliability and punctuality, up from just 90 per cent at the end of 2016. Mr Yousaf said: "The very real efforts to lift performance is a credit to all the staff who have worked hard to deliver this in the face of unrelenting, often unwarranted, criticism."

Mr Yousaf is currently working on long-term proposals to renationalise ScotRail under powers devolved just after the current franchise began.

Scottish Labour also wants to take the service back in to public ownership.

Last edited:

Fishplate84

What's the chances of those making recent political capital of ScotRail profits flowing back to Abellio in the Netherlands being totally fine with Abellio Netherlands and the Dutch passengers and taxpayers having to pump money in to subsidise the Scottish?

My guess is they will see no irony in this and express some sort of entitlement to this happening. If someone take the position that money shouldn't flow one way, it stands to reason it shouldn't flow the other either.

JohnR

I suspect the truth is somewhat more complex than either side would care to admit.

Status
Not open for further replies.