• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Franchise - Abellio

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnysr

I am sure that I read somewhere that the new saltire branding was to be applied to all sets by the time the franchise is taken over - was this actually the case and if it was, is it still?
I would hazard a guess at about 3/4 of the fleet being saltired currently. There's still the First ScotRail and SPT carmine and cream liveries in a few sets yet.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Altnabreac

Established Member
I am sure that I read somewhere that the new saltire branding was to be applied to all sets by the time the franchise is taken over - was this actually the case and if it was, is it still?

The way the tender was worded suggested not all sets will be in Saltire livery before handover.

Any new stock used has to be saltired very soon after entry into service.

For the legacy stock I think from memory they have until 2018 to Saltire it all so there may well be some carmine and cream 313s for a while yet.

Kite159

Veteran Member
The way the tender was worded suggested not all sets will be in Saltire livery before handover.

For the legacy stock I think from memory they have until 2018 to Saltire it all so there may well be some carmine and cream 313s for a while yet.

I assume you mean the 314s, the AC-only twin of the 313s

jonnysr

The 314s will be headed straight to the scrapyard then?
It would be a shame as they are a cracking ride. Much more comfortable than the 318's and 320's and perfectly suited to the Glasgow metro routes they operate - there's loads of room for standing inside when they get busy!

What is heading onto the Neilston/Newton/Cathcart routes when the 314's go out to pasture and when is this excpected to happen?

cf111

Established Member
I would hazard a guess at about 3/4 of the fleet being saltired currently. There's still the First ScotRail and SPT carmine and cream liveries in a few sets yet.

Thanks both.

I haven't seen a Saltire-clad 158 on the Far North Line yet, which was why I was asking.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Im rather amazed, given how many Inverness based sets make there way to the Central Belt that 1 of them hasnt stopped long enough to be vinaled
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
What is heading onto the Neilston/Newton/Cathcart routes when the 314's go out to pasture and when is this excpected to happen?

This is purely an educated guess but I'd have said the 320s, with the 318s and 321s when they arive doing the outer suburban stuff to Motherwell, Lanark etc. Ultimately the 321s arival will I feer spell the end of the 314s. If however Abellio see sense then they may refresh the 314s and keep them till 202↲at which point retaining them further would be too costly due to access rules↲

sprinterguy

Established Member
I haven't seen a Saltire-clad 158 on the Far North Line yet, which was why I was asking.
Aye, none of the original Scottish class 158s (i.e. those owned by Porterbrook), a number of which make up the Far North fleet, have yet received the Saltire livery.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Thinking about it and applying some oil to a rusty brain cog, the Porterbrook 158s were all repainted into FSR Corprat around 6 months to a year before the 25 Inverness ones were refurbed. Despite this its interesting to note that these wernt Saltired at the same time, given that the 156s that were refreshed shortly after whent Saltire. ↲

6Z09

Not that bothered about the saltire branding!
Just hope they put up the departure platform numbers a bit earlier at Queen Street!
Instead of the usual last minute rush to the Edinburgh train!

Butts

Veteran Member
Not that bothered about the saltire branding!
Just hope they put up the departure platform numbers a bit earlier at Queen Street!
Instead of the usual last minute rush to the Edinburgh train!

Just stand "trainside" of the barrier - mind you a lot of others do that as well which creates congestion :p

cf111

Established Member
Thinking about it and applying some oil to a rusty brain cog, the Porterbrook 158s were all repainted into FSR Corprat around 6 months to a year before the 25 Inverness ones were refurbed. Despite this its interesting to note that these wernt Saltired at the same time, given that the 156s that were refreshed shortly after whent Saltire. ↲

Indeed, the FNL 158s ran around in National Express livery with First branding for quite a while.

scotraildriver

Established Member
Thanks both.

Because the saltire wrecks don't have RETB brackets so no chance you'll see one. A lucky escape indeed!

Chris125

Established Member
Plans for just one direct train from Stranraer to Glasgow

Proposed changes to rail timetables would mean just one train would run from Stranraer direct to Glasgow daily.

Four services currently run each day from the south west Scotland town direct to Glasgow

Rail industry sources insisted that Stranraer would get more journey opportunities to Glasgow, including passengers being able to connect into the regular Ayr-Glasgow electric trains which run four times an hour.

The regional transport partnership, Swestrans, said it recognised that the operating company had tried to balance the availability of rolling stock and paths on the network with provision of direct services.

clc

Established Member

Proposed changes to rail timetables would mean just one train would run from Stranraer direct to Glasgow daily.

Four services currently run each day from the south west Scotland town direct to Glasgow

Rail industry sources insisted that Stranraer would get more journey opportunities to Glasgow, including passengers being able to connect into the regular Ayr-Glasgow electric trains which run four times an hour.

The regional transport partnership, Swestrans, said it recognised that the operating company had tried to balance the availability of rolling stock and paths on the network with provision of direct services.

If Stranraer gets a more frequent service to Ayr where passengers can change to a comfortable air conditioned electric train with one leaving every 15 mins it doesn't seem too bad.

The increase in frequency between Stranraer and Girvan would certainly encourage me to use the train more often when I'm visiting Portpatrick. The current timings means I tend to take the bus instead.

harz99

I make that only three direct services from Stranraer to GLC at 1250,1908 and 2113. None at times when people are likely to be fussed about changing at Ayr which they already do on the busiest services, and have done for some time now.

It's really a non story.

Of far more importance is the continued operation of the line from Stranraer to Ayr, which the proposed alterations will support, and should enable a more frequent/balanced service without the current enormous gaps.

najaB

Veteran Member
It's really a non story.

Of far more importance is the continued operation of the line from Stranraer to Ayr, which the proposed alterations will support, and should enable a more frequent/balanced service without the current enormous gaps.
Agreed. Especially since Ayr isn't exactly a difficult station to make a change at, it's level access from Platform 3 to both 1 and 2.

Does anyone know what the proposed service pattern will be between Ayr and Stranraer?

jonnysr

Noticed the "ScotRail is operated by First" labels on the doors have been covered up - by a another grey sticker. It's a different colour and makes the doors look patchy, very shoddy. I thought the stickers were supposed to peel off for the new operator to attach theirs?

me123

Established Member
If Stranraer gets a more frequent service to Ayr where passengers can change to a comfortable air conditioned electric train with one leaving every 15 mins it doesn't seem too bad.

The increase in frequency between Stranraer and Girvan would certainly encourage me to use the train more often when I'm visiting Portpatrick. The current timings means I tend to take the bus instead.

I'd agree that focussing on Stranraer-Glasgow direct isn't necessarily the best way to go with this line. Although direct services do have distinct advantages, particularly to those travelling with luggage, a transfer to a Northbound service at Ayr would be easy.

But running trains preferentially to Kilmarnock will not only maintain rail services to Stranraer, but provide a valuable link between Ayr and Kilmarnock (which has only a handful of daily trains). The frequency of Glasgow-Ayr services mean that there would be minimal, if any, significant increase in journey times. I'd love to see hourly Kilmarnock-Girvan trains (I think there would be demand), with extensions to Stranraer as needed. Continuing service from Kilmarnock to Glasgow/Carlisle would be possible as well, although I suspect that the market for through traffic would be minimal on the whole.

The only concern I'd have would be Southbound: in the event of a delay on the Glasgow-Ayr portion, would it be possible for the Southbound service from Ayr to be held?

I'd argue the best way would be:
1) Connect Stranraer services to fast Glasgow services. Without exception. (If you want to go to local stations, the slow one won't be far behind).
2) Ensure that a fast Glasgow service arrives on P2 for a cross-platform transfer to P3.
3) Vice Versa in the opposite direction
4) Hold Southbound trains to Stranraer as long as possible to allow the booked transfer. You'd need to work out the maximum time based on the single track line to minimise ongoing disruption.

If it's done right, stations South of Ayr have the potential to improve their overall service for the sake of a transfer.

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'd agree that focussing on Stranraer-Glasgow direct isn't necessarily the best way to go with this line. Although direct services do have distinct advantages, particularly to those travelling with luggage, the possibilities for a transfer at Ayr in the Northbound direction would make up for this.

Though, of course, since the ferry moved the I imagine the amount of luggage is now fairly small overall.

NotATrainspott

Established Member
Noticed the "ScotRail is operated by First" labels on the doors have been covered up - by a another grey sticker. It's a different colour and makes the doors look patchy, very shoddy. I thought the stickers were supposed to peel off for the new operator to attach theirs?

Are you sure that it's not just the lack of weathering under the sticker? They were designed specifically to be peeled off and replaced whenever the franchise holder changed, so I can't see why it would be necessary to cover them over.

me123

Established Member
Though, of course, since the ferry moved the I imagine the amount of luggage is now fairly small overall.

The journey's long enough that I suspect quite a few people have at least an overnight bag!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

To be honest, I suspect that First have little concern as to how the trains look now. But I'm pretty sure the ones I've seen have just been removed.

Class 170101

Established Member
The journey's long enough that I suspect quite a few people have at least an overnight bag!

Perhaps but isn't there a direct coach from the terminal to Glasgow? In that sense I agree with Ainsworth that demand is probably minimal in that context.

Status
Not open for further replies.