• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail "hiring an additional train"

Status
Not open for further replies.

marks87

Established Member
Something I've not seen before, but ScotRail have taken to Facebook to explain why so many services have been short-formed recently (units involved in incidents etc.).

They say they're "hiring an additional train" to alleviate the overcrowding.

Anyone any ideas where it's coming from, or indeed what it is? I thought all usable DMUs were out there already?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Callum

Could perhaps borrow something from London Midland... With a shortage of drivers, there might be some DMU's not in use... Just an idea

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Don't you dare take our DMUs away from us! :) There may be a staff shortage, but the only services being affected by this are electric services and 153 operated services (COV-NUN & Bedford-Bletchley). Any less capacity as a result of removing 170s (which scotrail already have) would not be a good thing at all.

Last edited:

anthony263

Established Member
Well perhaps FGW could re introduce the loco hauled services and allow some
class 150's to go to scotrail

RJM

Sounds more likely that it'll be another loco hauled service - possibly another duty added to it. (Dosent it still work one AM & 1 PM Peak duty?)

Yes, I believe another 67 and a few more mk2s will be introduced sometime soon. The 1708 departure from Edinburgh Waverley to Glenrothes with Thornton will be loco hauled as usual, the 1721 service from Edinburgh to Cardenden SHOULD also be loco hauled.

I presume there will be two duties in the morning aswell.

RJM

craig87034

Yes, I believe another 67 and a few more mk2s will be introduced sometime soon. The 1708 departure from Edinburgh Waverley to Glenrothes with Thornton will be loco hauled as usual, the 1721 service from Edinburgh to Cardenden SHOULD also be loco hauled.

I presume there will be two duties in the morning aswell.

RJM

The old loco hauled diagram was 0632 Edinburgh-Edinburgh

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Could perhaps borrow something from London Midland... With a shortage of drivers, there might be some DMU's not in use... Just an idea

you can sod right off. :lol: There arent enougth relaible units to run the LM services there are down here!

It looks like another turn for the loco hauled stock

tbtc

Veteran Member
Peak journeys on the Fife Circle makes a lot of sense for loco hauled - a fairly long journey involving no reversal

Callum

Jeezo, didn't realise I ran the risk of upsetting folks and I apologise most whole heartedly.

I shall put forward a different suggestion entirely... Why don't Scotrail just sort out the problems with their stock... I hope nobody finds fault with that :)

Update: It might of started last week, but think we would have heard about it. Tonight I did the 1708 full circle behind 67027, then when walking back up platform at Waverley, 67017 rolled in with Ecs off the half circle.

fgwrich

Established Member
Couldn't a solution to be send some FGW Class 158/9s to ScotRail and FGW to temporarily introduce more loco-hauled services

What would the point of that be? FGW's fleet is already stretched as it is, and Scotrail already have a pair of loco hauled sets at their disposal - to which their doing.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I have no idea of the fleet size of FGW, it was just a suggestion to solve their temporary stock storage
To be honest, I don't think any TOC could do with DMUs being taken away from them, so the only way to go is what Scotrail has done, use loco-hauled stock.

davido39

I was getting really enthusiastic there thinking Scotrail had decided to use a loco hauled service on the Cathcart Circle. :lol: that will teach me to look at the whole thread before jumping to conclusions! :lol::oops:

Liam_Hendry

Mod Note: Threads merged

I hear Scotrail are planning on hiring an additional train for the Fife area so they can put 2 extra Class 170s on Edinburgh-Glasgow QS services. Anyone have any idea or opinions on what train(s) Scotrail are planning on hiring ? I think it's gonna be either a Northern class 158 or 156.
I was also thinking that they should hire a few Arriva class 175s from Wales to strengthing their fleet.

Thoughts anyone ?

MCR247

Established Member
Yeah, northern and ATW have so many spare trains so they should just hire a load of them out

Liam_Hendry

They should do what Northern did and hire a Class 180 Adalante. That could sort out the problems on Edinburgh-Glasgow. I think Scotrail need more Express trains like the Adalante and not have suburban designed train like the class 170. But also I think they should do what Chiltern have done and have a 3 MK3 coaches with a Class 67 or some other loco and a DVT on the back.

fgwrich

Established Member
They should do what Northern did and hire a Class 180 Adalante. That could sort out the problems on Edinburgh-Glasgow. I think Scotrail need more Express trains like the Adalante and not have suburban designed train like the class 170.

Why. It's completley non standard to the Scotrail Fleet, would require alot of staff training - costly, and to top that off, there's non spare anymore.

As i've said about in this thread, the additional Fife Circle service will be made up of a 67 & Mk2s, hired in from DB Schenker. That way, it's semi standard in the First Scotrail Fleet, staff are already trained up on them, 1 set is already in use, and besides, untill reccently it was the spare set doing nothing in Millerhill. And it's not as if Northern / FGW / Greater Anglia / East Midlands or ATW for that matter have any compatible / spare stock on their hands - Yes ATW has enough 150s, But it's been a good few years since Scotrail operated 150s.

Status
Not open for further replies.