• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST derailment at Dalwhinnie (10/04/2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
what confuse me is in the train is heading North bur appears to be on righthand track?
The train's definitely heading south because Dalwhinnie station is on a left hand bend north to south.

Purely my speculation as someone who knows Dalwhinnie very well, but it looks like it's pulled away from the long down platform as an unusual movement (it could make sense if they were testing a longer HST running southbound) and the rear of the set has diverged on the crossover.

I might be totally wrong and don't mind being told as much!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Anyone have any more news about Dalwhinnie derailment or any more pictures?
I doubt we're going to get much beyond speculation until the investigation is concluded and a report is published in due course.

najaB

Veteran Member
I doubt we're going to get much beyond speculation until the investigation is concluded and a report is published in due course.
To be fair, news/pictures of the recovery and repair would be interesting enough and require no speculation.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
The HST set that became derailed near Dalwhinnie has been described in some media reports as a "test train".

What would have been tested during the "wee small hours" on a Saturday morning?

43 302

Established Member
The HST set that became derailed near Dalwhinnie has been described in some media reports as a "test train".

2+5 set HA19.

On Moderation

Platform lengths/platform-train interface for the 5-car HST sets - all the ScotRail sets are currently 4-car.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Platform lengths/platform-train interface for the 5-car HST sets - all the ScotRail sets are currently 4-car.
Thanks for clarifying. Looks like the train-rail interface might have been the biggest issue on Saturday morning! :s

On Moderation
It was a 5 car set, but I believe it had previously worked as 2+4. (Not 100% sure though).
It's HA19, which was the last (complete) set out of Wabtec earlier this year - I don't think it has yet been in passenger service, as it's the first 5-car set.

Established Member
This is just third hand local gossip, but my understanding is that the train should have crossed over onto the up line for a normal run on the double track section to Blair Atholl, but for some reason continued southbound on the down until the points moved.

No particular credence should be given to this explanation, it came from a friend of my wife (and neither my wife nor her friend are either clued up or interested) whose husband's brother works for Network Rail in the area!

Killingworth

Established Member
Line unlikely to reopen until at least Wednesday. Latest from National Rail Enquiries

"All lines are currently closed between Perth and Inverness, due to an empty passenger train derailing at Dalwhinnie.

Work is continuing on site to re-rail the train and rectify the damage caused to the track by this incident. We anticipate that that the line will remain closed until at least the end of the day on Tuesday 13 April.

Monday 12 and Tuesday 13 April:

• Trains from Edinburgh / Glasgow Queen Street to Inverness will terminate at Blair Atholl and start back at Kingussie.
  • Trains from Inverness to Edinburgh / Glasgow Queen Street will terminate at Kingussie and start back at Blair Atholl.

Buses will run between Perth and Inverness as follows:

• From Perth to Inverness departing at 05:03, 08:11, 11:30, 13:30, 16:30, 19:30.
  • From Inverness to Perth departing at 05:40, 07:00, 09:00, 11:00, 13:00, 15:00, 17:45, 19:00. (the 17:45 bus will carry onto Glasgow Queen Street if required and the 19:00 bus will carry on to Edinburgh if required)"

See National Rail Disruptions

hexagon789

Veteran Member
This is just third hand local gossip, but my understanding is that the train should have crossed over onto the up line for a normal run on the double track section to Blair Atholl, but for some reason continued southbound on the down until the points moved.

No particular credence should be given to this explanation, it came from a friend of my wife (and neither my wife nor her friend are either clued up or interested) whose husband's brother works for Network Rail in the area!
A similar suggestion was made on wnxx

BRX

Established Member
Regardless of the derailment it seems strange that it would have carried on that far, having taken a different line from that expected.

scotraildriver

Established Member
Everyone just needs to wait for the RAIB report. It's very clear what happened, the question is why it happened. But all the speculation on here is wrong so best just wait for the proper information.

Last edited:

Steven_G

Hopefully the RAIB report will not link anything to do with 5 car set compared to 4 car.

Does anyone think there will be repairs needed on the derailed elements? Sounds like it wasn't going at speed. Not sure what experiences folk have had with this in the yard.

najaB

Veteran Member
Does anyone think there will be repairs needed on the derailed elements? Sounds like it wasn't going at speed.
If it was a normal southbound move then if they hadn't stopped at Dalwhinnie the line speed is 70mph.

MadMac

Good picture of the signal box diagram at https://flic.kr/p/23UAjdg. There is no signalled move at Dalwhinnie whereby an Up train can get on to the Down line. If I were investigating this, I’d be focussing on how/why that train (or at least, the vast majority of it) was where it ended up. It’s entirely possible that this was specially authorised given that this was a test train, but if that’s the case, there would be some very specific instructions issued.

matchmaker

Established Member
Good picture of the signal box diagram at https://flic.kr/p/23UAjdg. There is no signalled move at Dalwhinnie whereby an Up train can get on to the Down line. If I were investigating this, I’d be focussing on how/why that train (or at least, the vast majority of it) was where it ended up. It’s entirely possible that this was specially authorised given that this was a test train, but if that’s the case, there would be some very specific instructions issued.
And there is no way of getting from the down line to the up line, except by a reversal over the trailing crossover. Very strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.