• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST derailment at Dalwhinnie (10/04/2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stathern Jc

Isn't the trailing crossover seen on the diagram the one at Dalnachardoch?
I'm sure the crossover at the South end of Dalwhinnie is facing. We see part of a set of facing points on the photo at post 19 and it can also be seen on the diagram on "tracksy.uk".
https://traksy.uk/live/M+59+DALWHIN
Presume this will primarily be used to allow access to the siding. Looking at services on RTT for last Thursday as an example it doesn't look as if any stopping trains are booked move across to Platform 1 for passenger convenience, though I could be mistaken.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BRX

Established Member
So was it travelling southbound, was supposed to go via platform 1, points at N end of station failed to move (frozen?), front PC and first 4 1/2 carriages carried on through platform 2, points moved under the rear of the train sending last bogie of last coach + rear power car off through platfrom 1...all the way through the station and beyond?

mcmad

So was it travelling southbound, was supposed to go via platform 1, points at N end of station failed to move (frozen?), front PC and first 4 1/2 carriages carried on through platform 2, points moved under the rear of the train sending last bogie of last coach + rear power car off through platfrom 1...all the way through the station and beyond?
Nope. The crossover is South of the station, at the North of the station is a turnout where the double track goes back into single track.

Train was heading South on the Up and should have continued South on the Up but has been diverted for reason as yet publically unconfirmed onto the down line until the last coach and rear powercar which have tried to take the correct route.

MacCookie

Looking at services on RTT for last Thursday as an example it doesn't look as if any stopping trains are booked move across to Platform 1 for passenger convenience, though I could be mistaken.

1H07 SX 08:35 Edinburgh to Inverness is booked to use Platform 1

Generally speaking Down trains will use the Up platform if they're not crossing something. Where there are Down trains in the current timetable using the Down platform, I would expect that in the full timetable they would ordinarily be crossing an Up train.

Cheers,
Ewan

InvHst

1H07 SX 08:35 Edinburgh to Inverness is booked to use Platform 1

Generally speaking Down trains will use the Up platform if they're not crossing something. Where there are Down trains in the current timetable using the Down platform, I would expect that in the full timetable they would ordinarily be crossing an Up train.

Cheers,
Ewan

1h07 hasn't used platform 1 in well i can't remember when it last did it all north trains heading for Kingussie use platform 2 unless their is a wheelchair user requiring off a service then the crossover south of the station is utilised for that exact reason so they can safely exit the station. As it has been said though best to wait for the raib report they know what they are doing and we will find out what the cause is in time

Established Member
Isn't the trailing crossover seen on the diagram the one at Dalnachardoch?
I'm sure the crossover at the South end of Dalwhinnie is facing. We see part of a set of facing points on the photo at post 12,971 and it can also be seen on the diagram on "tracksy.uk".
https://traksy.uk/live/M+59+DALWHIN
Presume this will primarily be used to allow access to the siding. Looking at services on RTT for last Thursday as an example it doesn't look as if any stopping trains are booked move across to Platform 1 for passenger convenience, though I could be mistaken.
You're quite right on the crossover, which all goes to show what a load of rubbish the local gossip from someone's brother who works for Network Rail or whatever and passed on to me has proved to be! Typical Speyside.

Steddenm

Here's a theory... maybe the driver had placed the powercar lights to red for danger as it was in the middle of the night? Are both ends of the train red?

najaB

Veteran Member
Here's a theory... maybe the driver had placed the powercar lights to red for danger as it was in the middle of the night? Are both ends of the train red?
Yes, both ends would have been at red at the point the picture was taken. But if you're suggesting that the train was travelling north then it has been confirmed that it was travelling south. Plus, had it derailed in the direction of travel the outcome would have been a lot worse than a power car and trailer partially in the dirt.

Jim

Established Member
Hopefully the RAIB report will not link anything to do with 5 car set compared to 4 car.

Does anyone think there will be repairs needed on the derailed elements? Sounds like it wasn't going at speed. Not sure what experiences folk have had with this in the yard.
Why an earth would the length of the train make a difference?

It would have still derailed?

John Bishop

You're quite right on the crossover, which all goes to show what a load of rubbish the local gossip from someone's brother who works for Network Rail or whatever and passed on to me has proved to be! Typical Speyside.
For the avoidance of doubt, the crossover is facing in the UP direction which was the direction of travel for the incident HST under discussion here.

The HST was supposed to be traveling on the UP line that night.

scotraildriver

Established Member
OK I'll clear this up. This train was supposed to travel in the up direction towards Perth on the up line like any normal service train would do. For some reason it went through the crossover when the signals and points were showing normal. We have been fortunate indeed this wasn't a service train travelling at 70mph line speed.

matchmaker

Established Member
My mistake in the wording. As the train was (mostly...) on the down line, the facing crossover would have been trailing to it!

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
OK I'll clear this up. This train was supposed to travel in the up direction towards Perth on the up line like any normal service train would do. For some reason it went through the crossover when the signals and points were showing normal. We have been fortunate indeed this wasn't a service train travelling at 70mph line speed.
It has been suggested by an industry contact it had been crossing to the down line (through the crossover) due to single line working.

najaB

Veteran Member
It has been suggested by an industry contact it had been crossing to the down line (through the crossover) due to single line working.
That can be easily confirmed by anyone with access to the weekly operation notice if it was due to planned work.

Established Member
Hope this doesn't result in flexibility being removed from the network.
I know that we're going off topic a bit here, but is it not the case that this crossover (now that we've established that it's facing) allows northbound freight to be looped at Dalwhinnie? I've been on an overtaking train there on at least one occasion, so I should've known that all along.

If it's removed then, yes, the route will become less flexible.

Anyway, at least we've established the circumstances if not the cause of the derailment. The thread wasn't going to give up on that until someone genuinely in the know satisfied its curiosity!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I know that we're going off topic a bit here, but is it not the case that this crossover (now that we've established that it's facing) allows northbound freight to be looped at Dalwhinnie? I've been on an overtaking train there on at least one occasion, so I should've known that all along.

If it's removed then, yes, the route will become less flexible.

Anyway, at least we've established the circumstances if not the cause of the derailment. The thread wasn't going to give up on that until someone genuinely in the know satisfied its curiosity!
I understood Network Rail plain lined it to get the line open again more quickly and will be coming back in to reinstate the crossover later on.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
That's quite likely. The same happened at Eastleigh.
Well then, I think that demonstrates the likelihood that that is exactly what will happen at Dalwhinnie rather than getting rid of the crossover altogether as suggested

BRX

Established Member
From what I can gather, it's the associated signalling that is usually the expensive/complicated bit of changing track layouts, rather than the physical laying of track itself.

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
From what I can gather, it's the associated signalling that is usually the expensive/complicated bit of changing track layouts, rather than the physical laying of track itself.
Probably much less so for a mechanical location such as Dalwhinnie, and if in due course it is a like for like (or very similar) replacement hopefully just a case of reconnecting the various bits and testing detection, interlocking and other elements which will have been disconnected or modified due to being plain lined.
1h07 hasn't used platform 1 in well i can't remember when it last did it all north trains heading for Kingussie use platform 2 unless their is a wheelchair user requiring off a service then the crossover south of the station is utilised for that exact reason so they can safely exit the station. As it has been said though best to wait for the raib report they know what they are doing and we will find out what the cause is in time
As the bi-di platform 1 is the lesser route on the down home signal (photo on post 78) I would imagine using platform 1 would mean the distant could not be cleared - unless it is a 'splitting distant' which is unlikely as these are very rare. Clearing the distant should be telling the driver he is continuing under clear signals on the 'main' route. Without the distant the driver would be approaching the home signal with caution adding to the running time which would need to be reflected in the timings if it was the booked move which might impact on the pathing further along the line.

Last edited:

High Dyke

Established Member
Probably much less so for a mechanical location such as Dalwhinnie, and if in due course it is a like for like (or very similar) replacement hopefully just a case of reconnecting the various bits and testing detection, interlocking and other elements which will have been disconnected or modified due to being plain lined.
Not always the case. I work a mechanical signalled location, where we want a wire adjuster fitting to a semaphore signal. All the equipment is there, having been made redundant from a different signal. However, according to those with better technical understanding, to make the change will require a design to be submitted and a 'new works order, completed.

Having seen the log entry for the train involved in the incident, then I concur with my learned colleagues in Scotland. I look forward to seeing the investigation report.

Status
Not open for further replies.