• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I'm suprised this would run as an HST service - entirely under the wires (I take it Cumbernauld to Grahamston through Greenhill Lower Jn is wired now)?
I think you've got confused by what I was saying- the five Edinburgh-Glasgow routes will NOT be part of the Inter7city network. They'll all be electric, with only the Falkirk High Express service conveying 1st class.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jingsmonty

I think you've got confused by what I was saying- the five Edinburgh-Glasgow routes will NOT be part of the Inter7city network. They'll all be electric, with only the Falkirk High Express service conveying 1st class.

Got you - yes, I did think you were talking about the Inter7City service. My mistake!

route101

Established Member
I'm suprised this would run as an HST service - entirely under the wires (I take it Cumbernauld to Grahamston through Greenhill Lower Jn is wired now)?

Unlikely but there is a chance one will do an E and G service

InOban

Established Member
The four coach sets have first class.

BTW I'm sure another poster suggested that the last HST arrival from Aberdeen will operate an E-G service to Edinburgh, since it has to return to Haymarket anyway. Whether there's a corresponding service in the early morning?

jingsmonty

BTW I'm sure another poster suggested that the last HST arrival from Aberdeen will operate an E-G service to Edinburgh, since it has to return to Haymarket anyway. Whether there's a corresponding service in the early morning?

Definetly a blast from the past - right back to the 1980s, just without the "INTERCITY" swallow livery & half the coaches....

scotraildriver

Established Member

It won't. It goes to Eastfield.

Goldromans

I personally cannot ever see an HST running an E-G service for various reasons: capacity (a 4/5 coach HST vs a 7/8 coach EMU) and how an HST could keep to the new EMU timings. It would make much more sense to move any HSTs that finish the day in Glasgow to Eastfield, surely?

Highlandspring

Established Member
It might happen as a short notice step up, in the same way that a 156 went out on a North Berwick a few months ago. Quite unlikely though!

jingsmonty

I personally cannot ever see an HST running an E-G service for various reasons: capacity (a 4/5 coach HST vs a 7/8 coach EMU) and how an HST could keep to the new EMU timings. It would make much more sense to move any HSTs that finish the day in Glasgow to Eastfield, surely?

It might happen as a short notice step up, in the same way that a 156 went out on a North Berwick a few months ago. Quite unlikely though!

I don't know - a 4 coach HST is pretty quick (although you're right, in that the 385s are, I'm sure, extremely rapid from a standing start). Highlandspring is probably right in that it is extremely unlikely to happen. Personally, from what I've seen, I'd rather a refurboshed HST to a 385 any day (although, in fairness, the 385s are not really designed for long distance work anyway).

Stoney1979

One week to timetable change....

One refurbished and one "classic" in service so far, so aiui by this time next week 8 more classic HSTs will have to be in service to maintain services after the 170s depart?

Is that the case?

chuff chuff

One week to timetable change....

One refurbished and one "classic" in service so far, so aiui by this time next week 8 more classic HSTs will have to be in service to maintain services after the 170s depart?

Is that the case?

That's certainly the plan/hope.

Stoney1979

Oh....

Am no expert but surely the whole thing must be hanging by a thread. I hope the classics are ready to go, otherwise the only consequence must be not enough trains to service the timetable. Unless other things have happened, some sort of Plan B is swinging in.

Esker-pades

Established Member
Oh....

Am no expert but surely the whole thing must be hanging by a thread. I hope the classics are ready to go, otherwise the only consequence must be not enough trains to service the timetable. Unless other things have happened, some sort of Plan B is swinging in.
We're well past plan B. TOCs withdrawing staff from revenue-earning service to train them is a sure sign that there's a big mess on the horizon.

mcmad

Scotrail gave up all pretence of a service to SDA and Fife last Monday and things got steadily worse as the week went on. Will be amazed if someone isn't offered up as the sacrificial lamb before a week is out on the new timetable if this continues.

InOban

Established Member
And I haven't heard confirmation that the ORR has authorised the SDA for public service. Won't affect the new Cumbernauld service,, since that route is already passed.

mcmad

hearing it should be ok but with a 75mph TSR EMU only between Larbert and Stirling due to additional dynamic load testing not being completed on time.

connormill

I know it's not really on topic, but a 156 was working to North Berwick on the 24th of November, I got it home after the rugby .

Nice big and (mostly) empty 7 car 385 on the way in, crammed into a 2 car 156 on the way back

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Will Falkirk High have been assessed for stopping positions, etc? What about other intermediate stations?

connormill

48 service cancellations today. .

Is that because staff have been taken from their regular duties to do HST Training?

If so, why have they left it so late to train the second guys up, they have known about the timetable change for weeks.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Is that because staff have been taken from their regular duties to do HST Training?

If so, why have they left it so late to train the second guys up, they have known about the timetable change for weeks.

They can't train until they have sets available to train on

Status
Not open for further replies.