• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mingulay

Is that because staff have been taken from their regular duties to do HST Training?

If so, why have they left it so late to train the second guys up, they have known about the timetable change for weeks.

Is this the Larry Grayson training on the HST?

They can't train until they have sets available to train on

they've had several slam door sets in Scotland for almost a year and knowing that the refurb program has fallen behind so badly they could have had all the staff training done, but like everything else with Abellio at the moment, they've had their heads buried in the sand over the issue!

The only thing they've done well throughout the new rolling stock delays was securing the 365s and getting them into service within 5 months. The project manager for that won an awars for it last week at some national rail awards do.

That,it's only in the last few weeks that any real effort to get the trains ready for service.Lots of days training were lost due to faults on the sets.

Yip! Its like walking into a totally different company when you go to Atrium for anything. All fan dabby dosey there and life is good! Its time they got out onto the network over a weekend to see the challenges traincrew currently face! The worst part now is that alot of the senior management are coming in from outside the rail industry and really dont understand how the railway works - prime example was the last HR director who came from Police Scotland and attempted to negotiate a pay deal having never done so before! he didnt even last 18months in the role and we also have a customer service director who came from RyanAir and we all know how they treat their staff and customers!!!

Highlandspring

Established Member
they've had several slam door sets in Scotland for almost a year and knowing that the refurb program has fallen behind so badly they could have had all the staff training done, but like everything else with Abellio at the moment, they've had their heads buried in the sand over the issue!
They haven’t had any TGS vehicles until the last few weeks though, which I understand contain the equipment box which is required to operate the CDL. As an aside I hope that openly criticising your employer on the internet works out well for you.

They haven’t had any TGS vehicles until the last few weeks though, which I understand contain the equipment box which is required to operate the CDL. As an aside I hope that openly criticising your employer on the internet works out well for you.

seems to be working well so far! like most internet forums this one is subject to the GDPR data protection rules so could not give out my details to a 3rd party. Just to add, the only 380101 i know of in ScotRail has 4 coaches so good luck to them discovering my real identity!

najaB

Veteran Member
like most internet forums this one is subject to the GDPR data protection rules so could not give out my details to a 3rd party.
In over 380 postings it's likely that you've revealed enough information to allow someone to make an informed guess as to your identity.

In over 380 postings it's likely that you've revealed enough information to allow someone to make an informed guess as to your identity.

I've been pretty careful i think, but anyway I've not said anything thats not been openly discussed in the poor excuse for a paper, The Scotsman.

But all this is digressing from the issue at hand, which is that the HST program is not going as planned and that it seems everyone apart from ScotRail management have seen it coming.

jingsmonty

That's certainly the plan/hope.

Oh....

Am no expert but surely the whole thing must be hanging by a thread. I hope the classics are ready to go, otherwise the only consequence must be not enough trains to service the timetable. Unless other things have happened, some sort of Plan B is swinging in.

That's the plan, I believe - not sure if there is a 'Plan B'...if there is, it would probably involve a lot of bus replacements!

Have just discovered that my 1st shift next week has an HST service in my diagram...1st time ever with paying passengers!

jingsmonty

Is that because staff have been taken from their regular duties to do HST Training?

If so, why have they left it so late to train the second guys up, they have known about the timetable change for weeks.

Also, RMT are in dispute & no members are working Rest Days to cover....

Highland37

Established Member
But apart from not having enough trains or staff to run the advertised service, everything is fine?

But apart from not having enough trains or staff to run the advertised service, everything is fine?

Yes, pretty much! but if you talk about it on here you get accused of openly criticising them...even if its the truth and widely known due to the top quality reporting in The Scotsman!

So will we have the remaining ‘classic’ HSTs all entering service on the 9th?

Thats the plan, but they're still training the guards on them so may not have enough to operate all services, even though they've had at least one slam door set with the appropriate coach to do the training on for several months, despite what other forum members say above. This was confirmed today on an internal staff forum by someone who has been involved in the HST training just incase @Highlandspring wants to argue it ;)

Highland37

Established Member
Is Scotrail really proceeding with Plan A and is it *really* the case that no matter what, they will not be able to run the service advertised?

AndrewE

Established Member
Surely using only one (or maybe two) refurbished sets with the rest of the HSTs running as unmodified slam-door trains is plan B? Especially as they now have to train staff on two different trains there can be no chance of enough trained staff being available even to run plan B?

Last edited:

chuff chuff

Have just discovered that my 1st shift next week has an HST service in my diagram...1st time ever with paying passengers!

Not sure if there hoping to have travelling fitters on services but they are looking to be in better nick after recent efforts.

Stoney1979

Oh dear, this really doesn't look good.

Assuming the BBC reporting is correct, which is a big assumption, it's somewhat disingenuous of SR to say the problems today - and looking likely to continue for some time - are down to "staff shortages" when in fact they do have the staff, they're just doing something else on the HSTs.

Although, I suppose, it's legally correct in that they are short of staff who are able to do the required job. Needs a qualification - "staff shortages due to….."

boabt

First time on a Classic HST today instead of a 170. Seat capacity upgrade is telling. Coaches in surprisingly good condition too.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
First time on a Classic HST today instead of a 170. Seat capacity upgrade is telling. Coaches in surprisingly good condition too.

You can debate the issue of seats, layout and spacing until you're blue in the face, and nobody likes the lights, but one thing definitely true of the GWR HST refurb is that it was of very high build quality.

JohnMcL7

What's the easiest way to find HST's on RTT? I've never quite got the hang of it but noticed a slam door HST going into Inverness today so wondering if it will be out and about tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.