• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jingsmonty

HA26 graffitied at Haymarket on Saturday, as was 170452.

The heavy cleaning squad are excellent at removing the additional artwork applied by wannabe Banksys'! Used to see some very colourful EMUs in my time....

I'd be more worried by the security at Haymarket, to be honest...

On another note, here's hoping the 1518 Inverness to Edinburgh is an HST Today....

InOban

Established Member
I think the OP thought it was a power car attached to a coach.... Oops.

Stoney1979

Are the SR HSTs described on RTT as "Diesel locomotive, trailing load 324 tonnes"? Saw this earlier today on an INV-EDB working and wondered if it was an HST.

If not, what is that? Freight?

The LNER HSTs seem to be easier to spot, being clearly defined as HSTs. Just trying to find a SR HST to have a go on....

Aictos

Established Member
Are the SR HSTs described on RTT as "Diesel locomotive, trailing load 324 tonnes"? Saw this earlier today on an INV-EDB working and wondered if it was an HST.

The LNER HSTs seem to be easier to spot, being clearly defined as HSTs. Just trying to find a SR HST to have a go on....

I like to know that too, also one for @Highlandspring and @jingsmonty but are there any fixed diagrams for the SR HSTs in passenger service and will there be more out in late March?

_toommm_

Established Member

That's correct - the timing load for a HST refers to a full length one, whereas diesel loco/324 tonnes is a short HST.

Remember though that they are only timing loads, and the fact that it says that is no guarantee the service is even planned to operate as a HST. Operators use the slowest possible train that could go on the route as the timing load so if anything else goes on it, it's guaranteed to stick to time.

Saying that though, LNER ones are normally fairly accurate to be honest.

_toommm_

Established Member
Thanks for the responses - there really is no sure way of knowing in advance, then.

You could tweet ScotRail in the morning - I'm sure they'd be more than happy to tell you if a certain train is a HST or not, or where the refurbished ones are (similar to what LNER do with the ICSwallow 225)

Wst71Pa2

The heavy cleaning squad are excellent at removing the additional artwork applied by wannabe Banksys'! Used to see some very colourful EMUs in my time....

I'd be more worried by the security at Haymarket, to be honest...

On another note, here's hoping the 1518 Inverness to Edinburgh is an HST Today....

Cops were in about the depot when I passed on Saturday

Highland37

Established Member
My partner and daughter came off the 1746 into Inverness. It was a classic HST. Daughter liked the seats, other half said they were too high and hard. Both said the lights were too bright.

I wished I could have been on it to find out

blackhill

Yes the training sets are described as hst 125mph on rtt but when in service they are diesel locomotive at 100mph trailing 324 tons

jingsmonty

I like to know that too, also one for @Highlandspring and @jingsmonty but are there any fixed diagrams for the SR HSTs in passenger service and will there be more out in late March?

There are in the Inverness diagrams, but that doesn't guarantee one turning up!
Southbound:
0453 Inverness - Aberdeen (Edinburgh via Aberdeen),
0554 Inverness - Aberdeen,
0944 Inverness - Edinburgh,
1255 Inverness - Edinburgh,
1725 Inverness - Glasgow QS.

Northbound, I'm not that sure, but one is booked to work through from Aberdeen (for 0944 South), the 0950 Perth - Inverness is booked an HST (forms 1255 South) as is the 1710 arrival into Inverness (forms 1725 South). The 2156 Aberdeen - Inverness is an HST (think this works up from the Waverley).

As I said, none of this actually means that an HST will turn up....they've only made very sporadic appearances...

Established Member
....they've only made very sporadic appearances...
Let's put it this way, I travel on the HML two or three days a week and I haven't even seen an HST in service, never mind travel on one. There was the one instance of the 1739 Edinburgh-Inverness getting cancelled before it set off. I sat on it, but I don't really count that as travelling or in service!

I think that chance has played a big part in this for me personally, but they do seem to be very few and far between.

jingsmonty

Let's put it this way, I travel on the HML two or three days a week and I haven't even seen an HST in service, never mind travel on one. There was the one instance of the 1739 Edinburgh-Inverness getting cancelled before it set off. I sat on it, but I don't really count that as travelling or in service!

I think that chance has played a big part in this for me personally, but they do seem to be very few and far between.

It's frustrating for the train crew as well - it annoys me when I get a 170 or (even worse, a 158) instead of an HST. The more we work them, the more experience that we gain.

The sets that have been taken off to work the dedicated training trains hasn't helped, but it's necessary. A case of 'short term pain for long term gain'.

Mingulay

It's frustrating for the train crew as well - it annoys me when I get a 170 or (even worse, a 158) instead of an HST. The more we work them, the more experience that we gain.

The sets that have been taken off to work the dedicated training trains hasn't helped, but it's necessary. A case of 'short term pain for long term gain'.

I saw a nice shiny new one in a siding in Perth last week , they do look good . Just a shame so slow on delivery. If only Wabtec were as good as Prince Philips car dealer !

jingsmonty

That would be the second refurbished set - it'll be based at Perth for static training for a few weeks.

Wonder if us Inverness crews will be released to go to Perth for training on the refurbished set? Hope so, as I can't see it appearing in Inverness anytime soon (lack of stabling space)..

Mingulay

That would be the second refurbished set - it'll be based at Perth for static training for a few weeks.

I got my first HST today. The miserable 4 car 158 which makes the now slow 17.18 Edinburgh Dunblane/ Alloa service is cramped and busy. It splits at Stirling. Front Alloa. Rear Dunblane after about 15 min wait aboard, Scotrail don't tell passengers but the following Aberdeen service stops at Dunblane ( no use for B of A passengers they have to wait). But if your quick and can bank on the Aberdeen train running late it's doable. It was 4 mins late Think it's just too complicated to get passengers informed on the train so your encouraged to sit it out at Stirling!

The Classic HST had door opening issues. Leading and rear car first and last doors opened the rest stayed locked. The door open lights flickered on and on off but not long enough to get the doors open. So another 2 mins lost till they got them unlocked. So further delay. Inside I thought they were ok. In fact very ok. Just dirty. Usual debris between seat back and cushion. Scotrail have clearly no access to what every house has. A hoover with a nozel on a hose! It's beyond them it seems.

Door opening issue again at Dunblane but not as long this time.

This a door fault or guard not got the hang of it yet ?

But bar doors and poor cleaning. The classic set is an improvement on a long run.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

Yes the training sets are described as hst 125mph on rtt but when in service they are diesel locomotive at 100mph trailing 324 tons
The data you are referring to in the open data feeds used by sites such as OpenTrainTimes and Realtimetrains are just timing loads.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a reminder this thread is to discuss ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

If anyone wishes to discuss anything else, please use an appropriate thread (create one if appropriate and if there isn't one already).

Please do not continue off-topic discussion; either ignore it or report it. If you wish to reply to it, please create a new thread in an appropriate section of the forum.

I've moved some posts here: https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...th-accessibility-regulations-for-2020.176956/

DannyMich2018

Any idea of when the next few refurbished sets are appearing? It's a very sad state of affairs if Great Western Railway has received most of their 93 new IEP's yet ScotRail only had TWO not even new refurbished units.....?! Would new-build have been a better/quicker option?

Status
Not open for further replies.