• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Not sure if it's for this thread, but it would be great to have a real-time feed on what the SR HSTs are doing on a daily basis.
Out of the 10 booked HST diagrams today, 5 are being covered by 170s. Of those 4 are because of driver traction knowledge and 1 is due to a powercar fault.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

chuff chuff

Trained driver's is still a real sticking point,from what I hear Edinburgh Waverley especially.

Last edited:

jingsmonty

Your hml services on a weekday are as follows
0833 Edinburgh - Inverness
0944 Inverness - Edinburgh
1255 Inverness - Edinburgh
1336 Edinburgh - Inverness
1725 Inverness - Glasgow
1739 Edinburgh - Inverness

These may not all run though as they are 2 seperats diagrams so if they don't have required crew or maintenance issues they are replaced by 170s. Scotrails journeycheck on the formation updates will say if they are 3 instead of 4 which means it's a 170

I hope you didn't try catching the 0944 Inverness - Edinburgh Today. It was a 158!

Highland37

Established Member
Could someone be slightly more precise on arrival of set three beyond saying "imminent"?

This month?

Highland37

Established Member
Fair enough but you did say you heard it was imminent. Where did you hear it?

Sounds to me that there is nothing imminent but something might appear. Production is such that "imminent" has become meaningless in this sense.

chuff chuff

Sounds to me that there is nothing imminent but something might appear. Production is such that "imminent" has become meaningless in this sense.

I sure he'll have an update for you soon.

Highland37

Established Member
I am not looking for a personal service. However, I do believe there is an extreme reluctance to recognise the issues. Saying something is "imminent" is a good way of doing that. No, I am not saying that @jingsmonty is in some kind of denial or trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes.

But I am saying that the new development of Wabtec and Scotrail saying all sets will be delivered by the end of the year, bears scrutiny and given that many people on here report movements of stock, we are able to say that it's not looking likely. End of 2020 maybe.

jingsmonty

I am not looking for a personal service. However, I do believe there is an extreme reluctance to recognise the issues. Saying something is "imminent" is a good way of doing that. No, I am not saying that @jingsmonty is in some kind of denial or trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes.

But I am saying that the new development of Wabtec and Scotrail saying all sets will be delivered by the end of the year, bears scrutiny and given that many people on here report movements of stock, we are able to say that it's not looking likely. End of 2020 maybe.

It was a reply from the Scotrail HST project manager to a question from someone asking on the staff social media site.

I didn't just make it up.

jingsmonty

How does the beginning of March grab you?

jingsmonty

Oh god..... Was planning Perth tomorrow wasn't it meant to be a 170? What happened

Supposed to be an HST - I guess that's all that was available. Inverness doesn't usually have any 170s sitting around, as only 158701-725 are based there.

On the upside, the 1255 was an HST....

scotraildriver

Established Member
Out of the 10 booked HST diagrams today, 5 are being covered by 170s. Of those 4 are because of driver traction knowledge and 1 is due to a powercar fault.

Not so much lack of knowledge but ongoing training. 4 sets are "stopped" 1 at each - Inverness, Dundee, Eastfield and Perth for ongoing training courses so there will be 4 diagrams worked by 170s every day until the training is done.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Perhaps someone should explain that to the Control Duty Manager then, as “driver traction knowledge” was the reason stated in the daily HST Start of Work information.

InvHst

Supposed to be an HST - I guess that's all that was available. Inverness doesn't usually have any 170s sitting around, as only 158701-725 are based there.

On the upside, the 1255 was an HST....
The 944 is the 614 from Aberdeen which scotrails advertised as a 170.... Whoops

DannyMich2018

Perhaps someone should explain that to the Control Duty Manager then, as “driver traction knowledge” was the reason stated in the daily HST Start of Work information.
The first unrefurbished HST's arrived in Scotland way back in November 2017!! I'm sure if Scotrail was properly organised (staffed) training would have finished some time ago and we wouldn't have substitutions or cancellations. Let's not even mention Wabtec here..... BR took just six years to built nearly 200 power cars and 700+ coaches, Wabtec have took more than two years to just refurbish/rebuild just 5 sets so far....

jingsmonty

Not so much lack of knowledge but ongoing training. 4 sets are "stopped" 1 at each - Inverness, Dundee, Eastfield and Perth for ongoing training courses so there will be 4 diagrams worked by 170s every day until the training is done.

Sounds right. It's a short term pain, but it's the right thing to do

scotraildriver

Established Member

The duty manager is well aware of the situation. It's just the way it's being reported. Sets being used to train drivers who don't have traction knowledge.

InvHst

Sooner the hsts are here the better tbh very worrying news that the 2040 Edinburgh to Perth this evening broke down at markinch and was emergency evacuated

Status
Not open for further replies.