• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Altnabreac

Established Member
To be honest, if it's not specifically a Scotrail HST you're after, you could visit the most northerly city by HST right now, by catching the Highland Chieftain (12.00 London KX to Inverness)...it's been running since 1984.

Unless he's referring to visiting the City and Royal Burgh of Elgin? ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Highland37

Established Member
Monday to Saturday has 4 services in total which are Scheduled 0453 and 0554 departures from Inverness to aberdeen

And 0614 and 2156 from Aberdeen to Inverness are hst operated but obviously crew and unit availability.
Sunday has a few as well but which ones I'm not 100% sure

My bad. I didn't realise that. I might be on the 2156 next week.

jingsmonty

Has the 1934 1A88 Edinburgh-Aberdeen been a HST recently.

Cheers Nat.

Not 100% sure, but is this not booked for a 170 anyway? I know 1A87 (1840 from Glasgow QS - Aberdeen) is booked an HST, as this is shunted at Aberdeen to form 1H43 (2156 to Inverness).

BRX

Established Member
Saw someone off on the 1255 from Inverness this afternoon... It was a 170 though, disappointingly.

Highlandspring

Established Member
43148 HA05 43140 failed at Haymarket platform 2 on 1A81 1736 Edinburgh Waverley - Aberdeen, LNER thunderbird from Craigentinny coming to assist.

najaB

Veteran Member
Is the set that failed last week (43176/135 I think) very poorly? It made it to Dundee but doesn't seem to have moved since.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
To be honest, if it's not specifically a Scotrail HST you're after, you could visit the most northerly city by HST right now, by catching the Highland Chieftain (12.00 London KX to Inverness)...it's been running since 1984.

Thanks but I won't be doing Inverness til 2021 :). Any HST to Inverness will do me. A Scotrail one will sound the same as a normal MTU HST - except for the plug doors of course .

Stoney1979

We'll never know but it would be interesting to find out how many HSTs didn't fail today. And how many 170/158s/others did. In the interests of objectivity.

Highland37

Established Member
We'll never know but it would be interesting to find out how many HSTs didn't fail today. And how many 170/158s/others did. In the interests of objectivity.

Yes that would be a good point to compare.

Any imminent sign of the eminent, imminent, third set?

BRX

Established Member
DSC_0090_crop_759x529.JPG
_20190313_224108-800x504.JPG

Took these two photos of sidings being (re)laid at Inverness this afternoon. Are these the stabling points for the HSTs?

Established Member
Has the 1934 1A88 Edinburgh-Aberdeen been a HST recently.

Cheers Nat.

It was last Thursday, 7 March. Meanwhile I boarded a 158 as the 1942 to Inverness on an adjacent platform.

I'm so over these trains now. The refurbishment's a farce, the training's a farce, the deployment of the classic sets is a farce, the provision of stabling facilities is a farce.

If we ever get the full complement of refurbed sets then great, what will be will be. Meanwhile I'm totally resigned to the Abellio franchise stumbling to its conclusion with a hotchpotch of a few refurbed HSTs, classic HSTs, 170s and 158s.

Then another outfit will come along with another idea ahead of the next franchise.

Would anyone else like to predict an alternative scenario?

Highland37

Established Member
It was last Thursday, 7 March. Meanwhile I boarded a 158 as the 1942 to Inverness on an adjacent platform.

I'm so over these trains now. The refurbishment's a farce, the training's a farce, the deployment of the classic sets is a farce, the provision of stabling facilities is a farce.

If we ever get the full complement of refurbed sets then great, what will be will be. Meanwhile I'm totally resigned to the Abellio franchise stumbling to its conclusion with a hotchpotch of a few refurbed HSTs, classic HSTs, 170s and 158s.

Then another outfit will come along with another idea ahead of the next franchise.

Would anyone else like to predict an alternative scenario?

I have had one HST this year and use the train a lot. Like you say, it is a farce and wabtec are clearly miles off. How anyone can take them seriously is beyond me.

It's mid March and ONE set has been delivered this year yet they are saying all sets by the end of the year.

Theresa May has more credibility

Far north 37

Established Member
Read wabtec using kilmarnock now to convert some of the scotrail sets.
Not sure how long it will take staff to understand the program but working in engineering myself it wont be as straightforward as just jumping in and getting straight on with it unless they have carried out this work before.

InOban

Established Member
The fault which aborted the (already delayed) delivery last Saturday must have been quite major, since there is no sign of it being rescheduled. Unless it's an engine failure, and the path from Haymarket to Doncaster is for an engine.

jingsmonty

Thanks but I won't be doing Inverness til 2021 :). Any HST to Inverness will do me. A Scotrail one will sound the same as a normal MTU HST - except for the plug doors of course .

The power doors aren't plug doors (like the Chiltern LHCS Mk3s have), they're class 156 style sliding doors. Less complicated, cheaper & easier to fit - but, arguably, not as neat looking.

jingsmonty

They were always there but im sure there was only two roads there before not three.

No, there was always 3 roads there (no. 6, 7 & 8 roads, as they were/are called). They are being relaid & remodelled, as only 7 road (middle one) was long enough for a 4+2 HST (we used to stable the training train there) - at the cost of fouling the 2 roads on either side!

I believe shore supplies are being installed here, once the rest of the work has been completed.

Status
Not open for further replies.