• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jingsmonty

Not sure. Pics from outside had plenty slam doors on both carriages

I thought 'ah well, wishf thinking', but then realised that the exterior work IS largely complete. As Goldromans said, the slam door is probably the emergency exit by the buffet, which is being retained

Last edited:

On Moderation
Not sure. Pics from outside had plenty slam doors on both carriages
Don't forget that slam doors are retained (for emergency use only) at the buffet end of the first class/buffet vehicles.

nat67

Established Member
From Scotrail Twitter so presumably in the public domain; https://twitter.com/ScotRail?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author
D2Pl_eYWoAAQ-T3.jpg:large

D2PldyzW0AAqc2E.jpg:large

and;
D2PlNryWsAAHYI1.jpg:large
I have just noticed in the top photo Mk3 on the right is a TGS so that should be the first 5 coach set then.

On Moderation
That's the TGS not TFB. As the slam door would be on the other end.
There are no TGS vehicles in the refurbished ScotRail sets. The slam door is retained at the buffet end of the TFBs, which is exactly what is shown in the photo.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I have just noticed in the top photo Mk3 on the right is a TGS so that should be the first 5 coach set then.

Not a TGS, it's the TGFB. ScotRail aren't using any TGS vehicles in refurbished sets. The 5-car will have an extra TSL.

nat67

Established Member
There are no TGS vehicles in the refurbished ScotRail sets. The slam door is retained at the buffet end of the TFBs, which is exactly what is shown in the photo.
It looks like a TGS as there is still a handle on the outside.

hexagon789

Veteran Member

It's the crew access door or equivalent. It won't be used by passengers (in common with Mk3 buffet cars), so no point making it a sliding door.

Also the guard's door on TGS vehicles has a second, smaller door next to the main one:

IC125@40_-_43089+44047_at_Nottingham.JPG.jpg

On Moderation
How many times? IT IS NOT A TGS. Why?
- no TGS vehicles in the refurb fleet for ScotRail
- no additional opening for the door as on a TGS
- window arrangement different to a TGS

chuff chuff

Regarding the emergency slam doors beside the buffet I don't remember seeing the in service ones with outside handles,perhaps this mod is left to last minute to allow access via that door while the work continues.

jingsmonty

I'll add in that there are NO TGS vehicles on the refurbished Scotrail sets! The (power) doors will be operated just like any other DMU/EMU. The door control panels are, in fact, designed to mimic those of a 170, for ease of training.

As others have explained several times, the remaining slam door is a crew emergency exit. If it was for passenger use, it would be painted the contrasting blue colour, not the bodyside grey colour

nat67

Established Member
One reason I thought it was but as you said it isn't millions of times now. Is that I couldn't any yellow stripe on the top but they are not quit finished as I now realised. That Mk3 could but I maybe wrong on this looks as though it's the wrong way round in the photo. As someone has already stated the outside jangle arrangement must be a recent to have been kept as the first set doesn't have the outside handle on it.

Thanks for clearing that up though Chief ;)

jingsmonty

I said that already! ;)

Maybe the message will sink in this time?!

Just backing you up :lol:.. I know there isn't (I'd be worried if I didn't, considering I'll be working them..). The Conductor's office will be beside the buffet, in the TFB - which could be handy...

As nat67 said, think the lack of the red/yellow stripe understandably fooled some out there.

Just to make it clear - there isn't a TGS vehicle on the refurbished Scotrail sets:E:E

SC318250

Sets 4/5 dont look like they are far away from being finished internal. Suppose it will be down to how testing goes once complete

DirtyJohn

Not much technical knowledge from me, but I thought the same - they don't look that far from release.

My hope is that, now 3 sets (plus the XC/GWR sets too) have been completed, that the pace of work should pick up.

Sets 4 -7 are supposed to be 'in progress', with sets 8 & 9 onsite. Sets 4 & 5 definetly are - I'd guess these are the 2 closest to completion.

The staff training on the refurbished sets should be well in hand (if not completed) by the time these are released - they could, perhaps, be in service quicker than the 1st 3 sets? Hope so.

You're right, 4 and 5 are the closest to being completed. 6 and 7 are being worked on, and 8 and 9 are all but stripped and ready for the next phase.

jingsmonty

You're right, 4 and 5 are the closest to being completed. 6 and 7 are being worked on, and 8 and 9 are all but stripped and ready for the next phase.

That sounds about right - not ideal, but it's tangible progress. Hopefully work will start on sets at Kilmarnock soon too

jingsmonty

“All sets finished by December ‘19” Mmm that’s looking likely!

Right now, I'd take having enough sets to allow the use of classics to be discontinued.

If we get 9 sets in the not too distant future & Kilmarnock starts work, we may be on the way to completion.

You're probably right in your assessment of all the sets being completed by December, though :D. I'm actually quite suprised that Wabtec & Scotrail were so specific about stating that all the sets WOULD be completed by the end of this year?

scotraildriver

Established Member
An increase to 15 sets are required in daily service from the May timetable. 10 classic and 5 refurbed with the classics reducing as more are delivered over the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.