• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Just noticed two foreign women miss their stop because they didn’t know how to open the doors on the Classic.
As the tourist season gets into full swing I can see this becoming a bit of an issue.

There are plenty of trains on the continent with manually-opened doors, so it's not exactly a solely UK-thing these days.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

robk23oxf

Just noticed two foreign women miss their stop because they didn’t know how to open the doors on the Classic.
As the tourist season gets into full swing I can see this becoming a bit of an issue.

I had to let someone out of a slam-door GWR set the other day as he didn't know how to open the door.

alangla

There are plenty of trains on the continent with manually-opened doors, so it's not exactly a solely UK-thing these days.
But they probably have a visible handle on the inside. Let’s be honest, the last thing you’d expect would be to have to open the window and hang out to open the door, especially if you’re used to power door stock which very rarely has an opening door window.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
But they probably have a visible handle on the inside. Let’s be honest, the last thing you’d expect would be to have to open the window and hang out to open the door, especially if you’re used to power door stock which very rarely has an opening door window.

I will accept that, but it's always signposted how you open the doors. In most cases quite clearly at that, right above the door.

najaB

Veteran Member
I will accept that, but it's always signposted how you open the doors. In most cases quite clearly at that, right above the door.
What? You mean I have look outside my bubble? What if I miss an Instagram notification?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Yes, but in which languages? Just English?

Yes. I've never even come across Gaelic in a Scottish-based train yet, but they do have pictogram signs.

I'm sure some trains had/have French and German on the emergency signage but I can't think which.

On Moderation
Yes. I've never even come across Gaelic in a Scottish-based train yet, but they do have pictogram signs.

I'm sure some trains had/have French and German on the emergency signage but I can't think which.
One (at least) of the airport services, I believe (Gatwick/Heathrow/Stansted).

kidman123

Saw a classic go through Edinburgh gateway at around 1638 had a refurb PC 4 classic carriages and a classic pc trailing I might be assume that was an Aberdeen service

Wst71Pa2

Saw a classic go through Edinburgh gateway at around 1638 had a refurb PC 4 classic carriages and a classic pc trailing I might be assume that was an Aberdeen service

Yup, coaches not near the top of the classic pile, and let's not mention that unrefurbed rear PowerCar <(

BRX

Established Member
If you're in a panic because you've only got seconds to work out how to open the door before it's too late, and the method of door opening is completely un-intuitive to anyone used to power doors, I think it's quite understandable that you might not look at the notices. You have probably got to the point of realising it's a manual door and are moving on to a reasonable assumption that there will be a handle somewhere on it. So you might be desperately searching the door itself for a handle rather than looking at signs above it.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
If you're in a panic because you've only got seconds to work out how to open the door before it's too late, and the method of door opening is completely un-intuitive to anyone used to power doors, I think it's quite understandable that you might not look at the notices. You have probably got to the point of realising it's a manual door and are moving on to a reasonable assumption that there will be a handle somewhere on it. So you might be desperately searching the door itself for a handle rather than looking at signs above it.

Isn't there an emergency release of some description? Or am I thinking Mk3 sleepers or even something else?

I believe the Mk2ds had internal handles from new but they were plated over after am accident where someone fell from a train at speed.

Perhaps if they had Central Door Locking back then, the Mk3s would've been built with internal handles.

alangla

Perhaps if they had Central Door Locking back then, the Mk3s would've been built with internal handles.
Given that equivalent stock on the continent was being built with power doors (SNCF Corail, NS Koploper etc) and BR had been using power door EMUs for years, the decision to fit slam doors to the Mk3s seems more than a little odd.

Rail Blues

Given that equivalent stock on the continent was being built with power doors (SNCF Corail, NS Koploper etc) and BR had been using power door EMUs for years, the decision to fit slam doors to the Mk3s seems more than a little odd.

Yes, was cost the rationale? Sleek futuristic looking HSTs heralding the 'age of the train' and you exit them by leaning out and turning a brass handle. Seems incongruous.

hexagon789

Veteran Member

I know that when they were being designed both power doors and retention toilets were available. Yet BR chose neither.

The Irish Mk3s were fitted with electric plug-doors from new, which proves it was very doable.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Mk3 coaches were built with internal door handles.

Interesting. I knew Mk2ds were bit they were removed early on. I assumed Mk3s never received them.

Presumably removed for much the same reasons, that in the pre-CDL era a passenger could all too easily open the door at speed and fall out?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
And imagine the faff and disruption that we'd have been spared if they had been.

Indeed, the only reason I can think of why they decided against it was cost.

Though Irish Rail seemed to feel it was worthwhile paying for power doors, while BR didn't which I still don't understand, but I guess history is like that - one can never fully comprehend and understand everything really.

najaB

Veteran Member
Indeed, the only reason I can think of why they decided against it was cost.
Don't forget (and this brings things slightly closer to topic), the HST was a stop-gap project that was intended to bridge the gap until 'proper' trains were introduced in the 1980s. At which time they would be relegated to second-line service doing things like Scottish internal routes.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Don't forget (and this brings things slightly closer to topic), the HST was a stop-gap project that was intended to bridge the gap until 'proper' trains were introduced in the 1980s. At which time they would be relegated to second-line service doing things like Scottish internal routes.

With the planned introduction of the APT.

Even so, power doors and retention tanks were available and the APT got both.

Surely even on the basis of near relegation it would've still been worthwhile fitting both features to the Mk3 stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.