• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLUK144

There is a sheer lack of clarity from Scotrail, the Scottish Government and Network Rail. No wonder why so many folk are disappointed in the service!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Highlandspring

Established Member
Interesting, thanks. I've definitely seen Scotrail guards stepping out the local door to check first (and I know at Dalwhinnie and possibly a few other stations that it's local door only, usually the one next to the disabled toilet) so they must just be using the non official way?
They use the egress handle to release a door and reset it afterwards.

On Moderation
Inverness does maintain the Sleepers though, so I imagine any serious maintenance could be done there assuming that's what you mean?
Did. Just servicing of the sleepers at Inverness now; maintenance is by Alstom at Polmadie. That said, Inverness is nominally home depot for the ScotRail trailer cars.

chuff chuff

Further to a few pages back regarding the use of non refurbished power cars to bring up the refurbished rake from Doncaster, pretty sure I spotted the use of two non refurbished power cars to shunt a single refurbished coach at Haymarket today.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Did. Just servicing of the sleepers at Inverness now; maintenance is by Alstom at Polmadie. That said, Inverness is nominally home depot for the ScotRail trailer cars.

Did they switch to Polmadie when Serco took over or simply with the change to Mk5 stock?

If it's nominally home for the trailers, is that purely a registration thing then?

chuff chuff

Using the egress handle is the official and accepted method for single door operation on scotrail slam door HST.

hexagon789

Veteran Member

Well surely using an emergency egress handle to release a local door to check the platform is clear, before resetting the egress and releasing the doors is not an ideal process?

Surely an emergency egress release should only be used in emergency?

chuff chuff

The egress is for single door working as far as I'm aware the guards are using the TGS to operate the doors.

delt1c

Established Member
Well surely using an emergency egress handle to release a local door to check the platform is clear, before resetting the egress and releasing the doors is not an ideal process?

Surely an emergency egress release should only be used in emergency?
The fact that it is the Scotrail Official and accepted method should be an answer. I am sure a TOC has more knowledge than an outsider

On Moderation
The fact that it is the Scotrail Official and accepted method should be an answer. I am sure a TOC has more knowledge than an outsider
A TOC that frankly has zero HST experience and a practice that is not used on any other HST operator.

On Moderation
Did they switch to Polmadie when Serco took over or simply with the change to Mk5 stock?

If it's nominally home for the trailers, is that purely a registration thing then?
It switched when Serco took over.

The plan for ScotRail HST maintenance was power cars at Haymarket and trailers at Inverness and depot allocations reflect that.

On Moderation
Was there no ability to fit a 'proper' local door release?
Don’t need to if they use the TGS van doors for dispatch. And if they do need to use another door, just open the window to see where you are rather than using emergency equipment for a purpose it is not intended for and doing a 10sec mince around the platform.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Don’t need to if they use the TGS van doors for dispatch. And if they do need to use another door, just open the window to see where you are rather than using emergency equipment for a purpose it is not intended for and doing a 10sec mince around the platform.

Presumably they also planned with having the power doors so never foresaw the need anyway.

This isn't a local door operation as such it is for single door at short platforms so rarely used.

I see, thanks.

alangla

Seems like a bodge-it solution though.
Similar to the practice of parking them with the batteries off then doing cold starts all the time then?
Did anyone at ScotRail actually bother to study best practice at the other HST TOCs or has it just been “we know best” ?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Similar to the practice of parking them with the batteries off then doing cold starts all the time then?
Did anyone at ScotRail actually bother to study best practice at the other HST TOCs or has it just been “we know best” ?

I thought they were parking them with one power car running to avoid cold starts?

alangla

The training train isn't (or it wasn't tbe ladt time I was on it anyway), we have authority to 'cold start' if required - it's stabled with both engines shut down & power car batteries isolated (to avoid them discharging & failing to start the engine).

Sets for passenger service ARE stabled with 1 engine running, supplying ETS to the coaches & the other power car (in the station anyway - I'm not 100% sure about the set that is stabled overnight at Inverness for the 0554 Aberdeen, although this hasn't ran as an HST very often anyway, I don't think).

I thought they were parking them with one power car running to avoid cold starts?
The message above is from this thread in January this year, things may have changed since I guess. As I understand it, the 1 power car running is in stations only, not depots or places like Dundee yard though, like I say, things might have changed.

Edit- they also might have got shore supplies put in at the stabling points by now as well

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The message above is from this thread in January this year, things may have changed since I guess. As I understand it, the 1 power car running is in stations only, not depots or places like Dundee yard though, like I say, things might have changed.

Edit- they also might have got shore supplies put in at the stabling points by now as well

It's only stations that I know of them.keeping one power car running, so you are probably right that for stabling that everything is shut down.

Northhighland

Been in Edinburgh all day. On a 170 down for Inverses this morning, was Ok but pretty grotty, looks like cleaning standards are slipping, suppose they will be short of staff too? Arriving at Haymarket we stopped next to a classic HST looking at it it was in pretty poor shape you could see visible corrosion on the coach doors were corroded, bit of a mess. I am assuming someone picked the best coaches out of the ones off lease?

On the way up on the LNER HST. We left wavily alongside a train for Perth which was absolutely rammed to the door. People were pushing on the platform at Haymarket to get on it. the HST we were on had loads of seats. Passing haymarket there were 4 classic sets and a refurb sitting there. AS the weather improves and tourists start to appear Scotrail are going to get roasted by the public if they don't get these trains working and capacity up.

The training excuse is woefully thin now.

Status
Not open for further replies.