• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
Brilliant, we may get another refurb...eventually ;)

Though I think Kilmarnock is just doing trailers.
I don’t think the vehicles that have gone to Kilmarnock today are part of the long term fleet - they certainly weren’t. The TGS that went definitely isn’t. So may be there for something else?

JLUK144

I don’t think the vehicles that have gone to Kilmarnock today are part of the long term fleet - they certainly weren’t. The TGS that went definitely isn’t. So may be there for something else?
I can confirm that the two power cars were in Scotrail Inter7City livery and the four Mk3s were in the old FGW Dynamic Lines livery. That would suggest to me that the set I saw was part of Scotrail's collection of Mk3s and HSTs. It came from some place in Perth so I wonder how that might affect things?

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K00019/2019/05/24/advanced

hexagon789

Veteran Member

Are they able to do repairs on the Classic fleet as well? That's all that springs to mind.

BRX

Established Member
Another HST and 4 coaches went past down to Kilmarnock about 10 minutes ago
I've noticed a few people referring to the power cars as 'HSTs' recently. An HST is the whole train - 2 power cars plus coaches. The power cars are power cars, or class 43s, as you prefer.

jingsmonty

I've noticed a few people referring to the power cars as 'HSTs' recently. An HST is the whole train - 2 power cars plus coaches. The power cars are power cars, or class 43s, as you prefer.

Correct! There's a bit of confusion with this internally too, conversations such as 'Set HA0× has a traction motor issue'. It's not the set, it's the power car! I've always thought that the set nos equate to the trailer rakes only.

I've been on nightshift & been told that set HA×× is on a certain job - I've no way of easily knowing which set is which without the Power Car nos....

Highlandspring

Established Member
Correct! There's a bit of confusion with this internally too, conversations such as 'Set HA0× has a traction motor issue'. It's not the set, it's the power car! I've always thought that the set nos equate to the trailer rakes only.
You’re right in that only the trailers are given semi-permanent set for maintenance purposes. Powercars are independent and aren’t associated with the set number. As well as the Genius system there’s a big whiteboard on the wall in Control to keep track of all the set formations and what powercars are on them, which is updated by the Maintenance Controllers. However to most folk in ScotRail Control everything is called a ‘unit’ so you end up with nonsense like “Unit HA04 engine out.” etc. I did hear one person describe a powercar as “Not the normal carriage but the one with the engine in” which made me smile. I could tell you a funny story about attempting to turn a pair of powercars this week but I’d better not...

BRX

Established Member
Does it involve running the power cars around to the opposite ends of the train to realise that this does not quite work?

jingsmonty

You’re right in that only the trailers are given semi-permanent set for maintenance purposes. Powercars are independent and aren’t associated with the set number. As well as the Genius system there’s a big whiteboard on the wall in Control to keep track of all the set formations and what powercars are on them, which is updated by the Maintenance Controllers. However to most folk in ScotRail Control everything is called a ‘unit’ so you end up with nonsense like “Unit HA04 engine out.” etc. I did hear one person describe a powercar as “Not the normal carriage but the one with the engine in” which made me smile. I could tell you a funny story about attempting to turn a pair of powercars this week but I’d better not...

Cheers for that - do tell:lol::lol:

InOban

Established Member
Unless it's just a set of coaches to be married to power cars already in Scotland. I notice it's not leaving directly from Wabtec, but from the West Yard.

ScottDarg

Steven_G

5 deliveries and all positioned around the country for both training and running.

Surely all 5 will be in active passenger service continually soon.

jingsmonty

5 deliveries and all positioned around the country for both training and running.

Surely all 5 will be in active passenger service continually soon.

Full training will beed to be completed at Inverness (I'm assuming the other depots have pretty much completed the conversion) before they can enter regular service in the HML. It's not long (approx 2hrs for Drivers, not sure about the Conductors), so it shouldn't take long. It needs to be done, as I imagine it would be much easier to diagram the sets if they were fully interchangeable.

We'd look pretty daft if a refurb turned up in Inverness & no-one could work it!

I'm hoping we aren't too far away from Inter7City sets displacing Classic sets....

snookertam

Is that not the responsibility of ScotRail to fully train their staff then? They've only worked with units with underfloor engines for decades so their entire frame of reference will be based on that. The staff in the control office, aside from it being their job, probably don't give a monkeys about trains and many probably barely even travel in them.

In fact I can tell you with some degree of certainty that if it wasn't for the fact they can look out the window, most control staff would barely ever get to see a train.

Clansman

Established Member
Another full and standing refurb yesterday between Glasgow and Aberdeen. Luggage capacity an issue despite the improvements. Mostly cases on vestibules - more needs to be done to highlight the storage space for cases between seats, which is quite large between two bays of four.

In the long term, it's difficult to see how four carriages will prove adequate on the peaks and weekends.

The five carriage sets can't come soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.