ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by Clansman, 12 Nov 2016.

1. John Bishop

John Bishop Member

There seems to be more HST diagrams on a Saturday out of Inverness for some reason? Think the HML has more HSTs also, can’t remember which services though.

2. jingsmonty

jingsmonty Member

There are a lot of Drivers in training just now, but, until they are qualified, this will be an ongoing issue

3. jingsmonty

jingsmonty Member

1554 Inverness to Edinburgh is HST saturday only, for one

4. jingsmonty

jingsmonty Member

To he honest, I wouldn't have known to ask about it if I hadn't have a heads up on here either...

5. hexagon789

hexagon789 Established Member

I'm sure if they could they would.

6. Northhighland

Northhighland Member

Thinking about it doth butter no parsnips. Action is needed. Should be 80%+ of leased HST’s in service classic or refurb. There isn’t.

See thread on GWR GTI’s. They seem to have much less problems getting them working reliably and quickly into passenger revenue service. Surely Scotrail can do the same?

7. 387gwr

387gwr Member

How many HSTs are planed to be in service?

8. FelixtheCat

FelixtheCat Established Member

Should be 26 sets once everything is complete.

9. FelixtheCat

FelixtheCat Established Member

No, because the staff haven't been trained on them. The HSTs are entirely new to ScotRail. GWR have been operating HSTs since they took over the franchise.

ScotRail don't choose to keep their shiny, refurbished rolling stock in the depot for no reason. The reason is that staff need to be trained on them before they can be entered into service. There are quite a few depots which are supposed to cover HST diagrams, and all those depots need to have most of their staff trained on them.

It's all very well saying "action is needed", but that means precisely sod all without detail. It's up there with "Brexit means Brexit" as pointless phrase of the year. It also assumes that action isn't happening now.

10. hexagon789

But GWR already had HSTs for years, and crucially had plenty of experience with them as a result. It's not a completely fair comparison in that respect.

11. Darandio

Darandio Established Member

You are both wasting your time trying to explain.

12. hexagon789

Quite possibly, but at least we've tried

13. 387gwr

387gwr Member

That is not a lot though

14. hexagon789

Why is 26 not a lot?

Presumably it's been calculated to cover all the main express services (fewer now E&G is electric), plus spares.

15. 387gwr

387gwr Member

Oh, okay

16. hexagon789

I was just curious of there was a reason why you thought 26 wasn't a lot. I suppose it wouldn't be for GWR perhaps, but 26 should be alright for ScotRail.

17. 387gwr

387gwr Member

I thought it would be for all long-distance travel for ScotRail

18. hexagon789

Well the 170s used to cover the Edinburgh-Glasgow via Falkirk High (4 trains an hour), plus many local services alongside 158s. Now the E&G is electrified along with Stirling/Dunblane/Alloa that saves a number of units, so you require fewer HSTs than 170s.

As it is ScotRail are keeping 34 170s I believe out of 55; 42 had First Class.

19. 387gwr

387gwr Member

So all of them has first class now?

20. hexagon789

The 170s? No.

21. 387gwr

387gwr Member

Ok, how many have first class?

22. hexagon789

34 units as built, plus the ex-Hull Trains 170/3s originally. Six had First Class retrofitted, plus another 2 with the 170/3s having it removed. So 42 170/4 units had First Class before any went to other TOCs.

23. pt_mad

pt_mad Established Member

What are the arrangements with regards complementary first class catering within the updated HSTs? I noticed a sort of counter in there where it looked like you help yourself to drinks? Do they have a host or does the trolley assistant look after the first class provision? Is there a hot offering that can be purchased anywhere onboard?

24. hexagon789

The idea was self-service hot drinks in first, plus trolley service in both classes and a buffet counter. I believe there was supposed to be 2 catering crew but there is at the moment only one person working trolley and buffet.

I'm not sure there's a significantly improved hot food provision, they do hot pies/toasties and things, only slightly better than the trolley only arrangement it seems.

25. jingsmonty

jingsmonty Member

GWR have 40+ years operating HSTs - they're a totally new traction for Scotrail. Don't underestimate the learning curve - it's been pretty steep...

The point about the training is very well made - I'd think that's why they've been scarce on the HML diagrams just now

26. scotraildriver

scotraildriver Established Member

Remember too alot of the infrastructure on the Western Region was designed with HSTs in mind. We are trying to maintain them in depots which weren't designed for them, stations alike, fuelling points which don't line up with the power cars being one example, no shore supplies another. With hindsight I suspect the people who put the bid in with HSTs didn't fully understand what was required and Transport Scotland in their nievity went along with it. Wabtec were clearly very over ambitious with their offering. All the people involved in the bid have now left though and we are left to pick up the pieces and make the best of it. Everyone is doing their best to make this work.

27. hexagon789

Just like anything newly introduced. I'm sure it will improve once everyone is used to them and their quirks. I don't think any traction has ever been introduced into service and been 100% okay off the bat in those terms.

28. jingsmonty

jingsmonty Member

Fair comments here, I can particularly relate to the infrastructure not being designed for HSTs! I asked on Yammer a while ago about shore supplies (in Inverness) & the reply was that we were getting them once all the infrastructure work is complete. It will save a fortune in diesel, I'm sure.

29. hexagon789

I take it that would allow the power cars to be shut down at termini?

30. Railperf

Railperf Established Member

Didn't the latest issue of Modern Railways show that the 2+4 sets were pretty unreliable in period 13?