• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxfly

Presumably there is a superfluous ‘r’ in that and it should be “Power car traction motor contactor renewal”.
There could well be, whether it’s my poor copy and paste or the document warranted a better proof reading I will decline to comment haha

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JModulo

Another mk3 on a low loader outside Kilmarnock Wabtec this morning, unsure if its going away or had just arrived, didn't have time to hang about. Didn't appear to be stripped.

InOban

Established Member
Any sign of the next refurb set leaving the darkest recesses of Doncaster?
AIRC, about the same day as the last set was delivered, two power cars went south to Doncaster, to be joined up to the next set. But it seems to take a few weeks after that to get everything working

Spirit555

HA22 is dumped at the Edinburgh Park end of Haymarket depot was 43133 on one end. Has been there all week

Mark

Drumtochty

How many bikes can be carried on the non refurbished sets outwith the power cars.

Are the refurbished sets still only two bike capacity outwith the power cars.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
How many bikes can be carried on the non refurbished sets outwith the power cars.

Are the refurbished sets still only two bike capacity outwith the power cars.

I've seen a classic set with a large bicycle symbol painted on the TGS van, so I'd guess bikes can be stored in the TGS which I believe GWR had space for 3 bikes in.

CJSwan

There’s space for 6 bikes in the TGS, or at least there are 6 sort of slots in a metal rack that is almost as wide as the whole carriage

Speed43125

I was wondering what people were thinking of the Vinyl branding on the HST was like. From what I've seen the trains look pretty sharp when they're brand spanking new, but as they rack up the Miles ( especially the early repainted power cars) seem to have the vinyls go darker much quicker than the painted parts of the exterior, and on the coaches dirt seems to congregate around the border of the vinyl which really doesn't look very good. I first noticed this on the sticker on a 380 door ( it's a light colour just like the HST body), but the HSTs in this Rail grey colour seem to show it much more, and really detracts from what should be quite excellent looking trains.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I was wondering what people were thinking of the Vinyl branding on the HST was like. From what I've seen the trains look pretty sharp when they're brand spanking new, but as they rack up the Miles ( especially the early repainted power cars) seem to have the vinyls go darker much quicker than the painted parts of the exterior, and on the coaches dirt seems to congregate around the border of the vinyl which really doesn't look very good. I first noticed this on the sticker on a 380 door ( it's a light colour just like the HST body), but the HSTs in this Rail grey colour seem to show it much more, and really detracts from what should be quite excellent looking trains.

Yes, the stickers seem to go dark before the paint which gives a slightly tatty look. Shame, as it's otherwise a very good package indeed.

Highlandspring

Established Member
HA24 looks particularly dreadful with dirty brown vinyls, much worse than any of the other refurbished sets for some reason.

Highland37

Established Member
I think I'm getting mixed up with power cars which are 3. Though ScotRail seem to think a TGS accommodates only 2 bikes.

One of the issues re bikes on the refurbished HSTs is that Scotrail have a huge issue around telling the truth and admitting change. They clearly are nowhere near delivering what they promised but appear to treat themselves as fools as everyone else can see where they have not delivered. It appears that they hope to avoid the issue. They would gain a lot of respect but simply being open and honest.

haggishunter

Was in Aviemore by train from Inverness yesterday evening. Seat reservations were for seats 75, 76 and 78 in coach C - which don’t exist on a 170! Guess this should have been an HST at 17:27?

Edit - got the seat numbers wrong in original post and they prob wouldn't exist on an HST either !

Last edited:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
One of the issues re bikes on the refurbished HSTs is that Scotrail have a huge issue around telling the truth and admitting change. They clearly are nowhere near delivering what they promised but appear to treat themselves as fools as everyone else can see where they have not delivered. It appears that they hope to avoid the issue. They would gain a lot of respect but simply being open and honest.

I agree, they would do no worse to plainly admit exactly how things are at present or will be. The cycles issue is just one such area.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Was in Aviemore by train from Inverness yesterday evening. Seat reservations were for seats 75, 76 and 78 in coach C - which don’t exist on a 170! Guess this should have been an HST at 17:27?

Edit - got the seat numbers wrong in original post and they prob wouldn't exist on an HST either !

I think they go up to 74 in the refurbs, not sure if the Classics have reservations set-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.