• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northhighland

If Abellio want to bid for more UK franchises then they can’t really walk away leaving this mess.

They need to sort it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I noticed in the past few weeks that there are various STP haymarket/Inverness/dundee moves under a 2W**/3H** headcode, most of them appear to be running. Are still issues with crew being trained on the HSTs. Thought this was mostly completed?

bigmoose

When was the last refurb delivered? Seems like there’s been a long gap since anything came out of the Wabtec time machine, and hence the rate of delivery is actually slowing.

59CosG95

Established Member
When was the last refurb delivered? Seems like there’s been a long gap since anything came out of the Wabtec time machine, and hence the rate of delivery is actually slowing.
A few weeks ago, August if I recall. ScotRail have refused to accept any more sets until all the defects found in the 6 first refurbs have been well and truly banished from the subsequent sets.
As a result, I think that, once SR start accepting them again, there should be a glut of deliveries.

Highland37

Established Member
What information do you base that on? Beyond blind hope, is there any hard evidence to suggest there will be a sudden increase in the delivery rate?

59CosG95

Established Member
What information do you base that on? Beyond blind hope, is there any hard evidence to suggest there will be a sudden increase in the delivery rate?
Much of it is blind hope, to be honest with you. Besides from the knowledge that HA17-HA19 are all within Doncaster at this point...

In all honesty, the increase will probably be very brief (e.g. 3 sets in quick succession, before another steady rate of 1 a month). It may step up again once work on the XC & GWR sets is complete.

snookertam

Have not long arrived in Queen Street, the new seated sleeper coach makes for a very pleasant day train trip on the West Highland Line. Single airline seat with plug and deep spacious overhead luggage rack and a hot meal and cold beer suited my perfectly as a solo traveler on this occasion.

But of course both the Mk5 fleets have had plenty of problems and are way late entering service, so it’s not clear at all we’d be any better off had the new stock route been taken. New stock now would take so long to get into service the HSTs have to made to work.

On reasonable track the Mk5s were very smooth and quiet, but there were some bits particularly North of Bridge or Orchy where the ride was definitely notably worse than Mk3s so the HSTs do have some advantages.

Just north of Bridge of Orchy is pretty bad on a 156 as well. Might be an issue with the track or even the earthworks underneath.

Northhighland

Passed Inverness station today and noted a refurb set in the siding minus a power car. assuming it is n the shed for repair or exam. Thinking that if we have power car reliability issues as we seem to be having, surely some extra power cars could be sprinkled around the network until the teams get the power cars to the standard of reliability needed? Must be plenty ex GWR ones in storage?

If abellio could get the service running predictably then the public would be happier. Classic or refurb isn't the end of the world. the issue is the lack of seats and reservations. Surely a few extra power cars would help?

GLC

Passed Inverness station today and noted a refurb set in the siding minus a power car. assuming it is n the shed for repair or exam. Thinking that if we have power car reliability issues as we seem to be having, surely some extra power cars could be sprinkled around the network until the teams get the power cars to the standard of reliability needed? Must be plenty ex GWR ones in storage?

If abellio could get the service running predictably then the public would be happier. Classic or refurb isn't the end of the world. the issue is the lack of seats and reservations. Surely a few extra power cars would help?
Specifically for the refurbs, I believe the new door interlock system on the refurb carriages means that only refurb power cars can be used with them.

InvHst

I noticed in the past few weeks that there are various STP haymarket/Inverness/dundee moves under a 2W**/3H** headcode, most of them appear to be running. Are still issues with crew being trained on the HSTs. Thought this was mostly completed?

This is the latest batch of recruits being trained on them. However with only having 1 official training HST then they have to use a set that could have been on a passenger working

InvHst

Specifically for the refurbs, I believe the new door interlock system on the refurb carriages means that only refurb power cars can be used with them.

100% correct however you could remove the refurbished powercars off the classic sets and still run ex get classic sets. But again their reliability isn't the best either

Highland37

Established Member
Sigh. Another 170 journey from Queen Street to Inverness. It is one of the Filthy sub Fleet also which adds to the charm of long distance suburban travel.

The HSTs really are a bit of a disaster with poor reliability and an uncertain level of service. We are now being evicted from our seats by people with reservations but there are no reservation tickets on the train.

Is that really so surprising when ancient trains are planned for the core service?

InvHst

Sigh. Another 170 journey from Queen Street to Inverness. It is one of the Filthy sub Fleet also which adds to the charm of long distance suburban travel.

The HSTs really are a bit of a disaster with poor reliability and an uncertain level of service. We are now being evicted from our seats by people with reservations but there are no reservation tickets on the train.

Is that really so surprising when ancient trains are planned for the core service?

0845 was a 170 fully expected that after yesterdays lack of HST diagrams ending in Inverness I think only 2 are due to finish in Inverness Tonight so if they steal a set for training tomorrow then only 1 out of 3 morning trains will go out.

InvHst

Only 2 will finish in Inverness tonight 2101 from Edinburgh and 2320 from Edinburgh
The 0008 from Aberdeen is a 170 due to disruption earlier today

Past haymarket depot this evening at 5pm whilst on the tram and saw 5 classic sets in the depot, couldn't see spare donor power car 43018 outside.
Did see a refurbished set on the 1230 Edinburgh to Aberdeen today

Alanko

Somewhere between Waverley and Queen Street.
Let's not forget that Alex Hynes stated that the plan is for the rate of delivery to go up to two sets a month.

Alex Hynes consistently re-tweeted anything positive or whimsical that I posted up on Twitter if it had a link, however tenuous, to Scotrail. Anything negative was ignored. Alex also seems to spend a lot of time on Twitter in general, re-tweeting lost teddies reunited with anxious kids, and studiously ignoring thousands of commuters kicking off at 7:30 every morning when their trains vanish into the ether.

Not sure he is the best guy to ask for an honest opinion on this one. :lol:

Highland37

Established Member
He ignored me when I asked why the 1508 Queen Street to Inverness was not an HST.

Anyone know why?

PG

Established Member
Am I the only one who thinks that the MD should be making more productive use of their time, like I don't know, maybe sorting out what resources are required to get trains on the tracks!

Clansman

Established Member
Am I the only one who thinks that the MD should be making more productive use of their time, like I don't know, maybe sorting out what resources are required to get trains on the tracks!
Making more productive use of his time, or to be seen to be productive on his social channels?

Northhighland

right next to it is a classic set with two refurbed power cars. Surely a spare classic power car would have had an additional set in traffic?

CJSwan

No. They will be partly in service, a new operator in place and an order for new stock will have been made.
Don’t suggest new stock, there’ll be plenty here who’ll be terribly upset at the mere idea of there being no more HSTs.

YorkshireBear

Established Member

You naively assume it's him doing the retweeting.

PG

Established Member
You naively assume it's him doing the retweeting.
Fair point, unless anyone knows for certain that other staff don't have access to his Twitter account?
No. They will be partly in service, a new operator in place and an order for new stock will have been made.
Sadly I'm now of the opinion that you will be proved right.

SC318250

HA20 operating 5T01 from Brodies Kilmarnock to Haymarket Depot after coaches had bogie change (C4)

Highland37

Established Member
Fair point, unless anyone knows for certain that other staff don't have access to his Twitter account?

Sadly I'm now of the opinion that you will be proved right.

Why are you sad? The HSTs are ancient and all of the evidence available shows that they can't provide the service.

Status
Not open for further replies.