• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

InOban

Established Member
I notice that this time they are using the emptiness of the network to run more or less nonstop from Doncaster to Millerhill, and pathed for 125mph.
Puzzled why they then send it via the Sub, which means multiple reversals at Haymarket to access the depot. Only once has it been routed through Waverley.

fgwrich

Established Member
I notice that this time they are using the emptiness of the network to run more or less nonstop from Doncaster to Millerhill, and pathed for 125mph.
Puzzled why they then send it via the Sub, which means multiple reversals at Haymarket to access the depot. Only once has it been routed through Waverley.

I may be wrong, but could it be that the set is the wrong way around and requires turning via the Sub?

43 302

Established Member
I thought they were restricted to 100mph as 2+4. Or is the pathing on RTT not reflective of their actual speed limit?

scotraildriver

Established Member
Only 1 reversal at Haymarket platform 0. The formation is:

43183-42277-42300-42299-40621-43035

Last edited:

Speed43125

I thought they were restricted to 100mph as 2+4. Or is the pathing on RTT not reflective of their actual speed limit?
Those limits existed in the very early days of the HST, but modifications have long since been made to the braking and even 2 + 1 ould be permitted at 125

InOban

Established Member
My bad, forgetting that there are crossovers allowing a train to cross over all four tracks there.
How many sets is that now 16 or 17?

InOban

Established Member
If so, and taking into account the 25 extra coaches to be delivered later, then Wabtec have finally passed halfway! (64 v 125)

On Moderation
If so, and taking into account the 25 extra coaches to be delivered later, then Wabtec have finally passed halfway! (64 v 125)
The fleet was quoted as 121 vehicles - 17 x 5-car and 9 x 4-car.

OmniCity999

Established Member

Believe there is some confusion out there. It may or may not have been stated that the entire fleet will receive another carriage - this may have confused some.

Goldromans

Believe there is some confusion out there. It may or may not have been stated that the entire fleet will receive another carriage - this may have confused some.
I’m aware this had been discussed. Has this been confirmed by an official source?

PG

Established Member
If it was the entire fleet, presumably that would result in 17 x 6 car and 9 x 5 car?

I'm more of the opinion that it was all the 4 cars to receive an extra car which would result in a uniform fleet of 26 x 5 car.

Speed43125

If it was the entire fleet, presumably that would result in 17 x 6 car and 9 x 5 car?

I'm more of the opinion that it was all the 4 cars to receive an extra car which would result in a uniform fleet of 26 x 5 car.
As delivered, every set will have 4 carriages (possible exception of the final set), then additional carriages (possibly TGS for bike storage) will be added, as spec'd, that would be an additional 17 carriages to be delivered to lengthen 17 sets, this proposal would be for 26 additional carriages creating a uniform fleet of 2 + 5.
So yes, you are correct. I'm not aware of any plans at the moment for lengthening beyond 5 carriages.

PG

Established Member
...an additional 17 carriages to be delivered to lengthen 17 sets, this proposal would be for 26 additional carriages creating a uniform fleet of 2 + 5.
Thanks for the clarification.

That should aid the folk at the coal face with not having to worry quite as much about which set goes where, especially during times of disruption.

Stathern Jc

Thanks for the clarification.

That should aid the folk at the coal face with not having to worry quite as much about which set goes where, especially during times of disruption.
That sounds as if it would make planning easier.
Can someone refresh my memory? I had it in mind from somewhere that services between Inverness and Aberdeen would be 2+4 sets to suit platform lengths. What's the capacity of the new station at Kintore?
Perhaps I'm wrong. But this is a long thread to trawl though to check, so apologies if going back to anything said earlier.

InOban

Established Member
I can't find the official figure for Kintore, but the platform at Insch was extended to 160m to accommodate the HSTs, so I think that we can assume that Kintore will be no shorter.

Clansman

Established Member
That sounds as if it would make planning easier.
Can someone refresh my memory? I had it in mind from somewhere that services between Inverness and Aberdeen would be 2+4 sets to suit platform lengths. What's the capacity of the new station at Kintore?
Perhaps I'm wrong. But this is a long thread to trawl though to check, so apologies if going back to anything said earlier.
The sets were to be rotated around based on demand, rather than rigidly fixed lengths on each route - though Aberdeen to Edinburgh are/would be having most of the 2 + 5s.

Remember that a 4 + 2 HST has fewer standard seats than a double 158 - at peak times Aberdeen to Inverness is used to coping with up to 6 (though admittedly this difference re HST lengths will be solved with the additional Aberdeenshire DMU services) so it would be vital for the sets to rotate, if that wasn't planned initially.

ScottDarg

The previously used Slateford depot is currently being cleared for re use as an HST stabling point. Not sure if the HA31 - 33 will move here too to be stripped, but it will reduce pressure on Haymarket depot which has had to close to any more trains on a few occasions recently due to being full. This has caused some congestion in Waverley as trains cannot move to the depot. I wonder how the local NIMBYS will react, given the relentless moaning they did last time Slateford was in use.

Path for the first set to move there on Monday: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K00068/2020-05-11/detailed

ScottDarg

Status
Not open for further replies.