• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Apart from the 1439 to Inverness from Glasgow via Aberdeen and the 1840 Glasgow to Aberdeen
Every other service is a hst
I must be misunderstanding you - do you mean that these are the only Scotrail intercity services not operated by HSTs from today onwards?

That can't be right, for example the 0636 Inverness-Edinburgh and 1807 Queen Street-Inverness are still 170s? The 1807 has to run as 2×170 for the foreseeable future otherwise there's social distancing issues on the commuter leg as far as Dunblane.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

InvHst

I must be misunderstanding you - do you mean that these are the only Scotrail intercity services not operated by HSTs from today onwards?

That can't be right, for example the 0636 Inverness-Edinburgh and 1807 Queen Street-Inverness are still 170s? The 1807 has to run as 2×170 for the foreseeable future otherwise there's social distancing issues on the commuter leg as far as Dunblane.

I meant to put Aberdeen to Glasgow services apologies. 1807 is back to 3 car operation due to an increase in services highly doubt we will see that as a 6 car again

Established Member
1807 is back to 3 car operation due to an increase in services highly doubt we will see that as a 6 car again
That's going to be interesting when an Inverness passenger with a counted place reservation can't board safely at Queen Street because the thing's already busy with Stirling area commuters. I was on it last week and it was more than fine as 6, but I wouldn't fancy it with the combination of more travel and reduced capacity.

Sorry, not exactly on topic, but the relevant point is that it's one that could probably benefit from the extra capacity provided by an HST.

Staying with the subject of making the best use of available capacity, do you know what the deal is with Scotrail First Class at the moment? You can't buy anything other than Standard Class Anytimes online so, I assume, First Class runs around empty when the capacity could be put to good use to maximise social distancing. Is it downgraded and they're just not saying as much?

Steddenm

That's going to be interesting when an Inverness passenger with a counted place reservation can't board safely at Queen Street because the thing's already busy with Stirling area commuters. I was on it last week and it was more than fine as 6, but I wouldn't fancy it with the combination of more travel and reduced capacity.

Sorry, not exactly on topic, but the relevant point is that it's one that could probably benefit from the extra capacity provided by an HST.

Staying with the subject of making the best use of available capacity, do you know what the deal is with Scotrail First Class at the moment? You can't buy anything other than Standard Class Anytimes online so, I assume, First Class runs around empty when the capacity could be put to good use to maximise social distancing. Is it downgraded and they're just not saying as much?

First Class on a HST is withdrawn at the moment and is used for staff travelling PASS or working. On the DMU/EMU services it has been declassified.

Established Member
First Class on a HST is withdrawn at the moment and is used for staff travelling PASS or working. On the DMU/EMU services it has been declassified.
Thanks, helpful to know. That HST capacity is going to be needed for paying passengers before long I think...

Steddenm

Thanks, helpful to know. That HST capacity is going to be needed for paying passengers before long I think...

I agree. In the past couple of weeks I've travelled Edinburgh-Aberdeen, Aberdeen-Glasgow QS and Haymarket-Dundee on them and they have been packed in Standard.

fgwrich

Established Member
I agree. In the past couple of weeks I've travelled Edinburgh-Aberdeen, Aberdeen-Glasgow QS and Haymarket-Dundee on them and they have been packed in Standard.

Indeed, it certainly was particularly busy last week in standard on all the services I travelled on (HST Wise, EMU Wise but not so much DMU Wise). 98% of people Adhearing to the social distancing / mask wearing rules, sadly the odd one or two didn't including one passenger who took her mask off when boarding, and spent the rest of the journey doing her make up instead.

Back to topic though, from my observations last week all the HST operated services had a good patronage using them.

InvHst

Has that system been introduced yet?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Staying with the subject of making the best use of available capacity, do you know what the deal is with Scotrail First Class at the moment?

Website says they stopped selling first class tickets from Tuesday 16th June.

gingertom

Established Member
I think I know what my guess is.
If there's 2 sets of cars to come north, I don't know why they need 2 delivery runs. It's not as though a pair of power cars can't move 8- they've been moving 9 car formations up and down the ECML, Drumochter and Slocht for donkeys years.

Goldromans

If there's 2 sets of cars to come north, I don't know why they need 2 delivery runs. It's not as though a pair of power cars can't move 8- they've been moving 9 car formations up and down the ECML, Drumochter and Slocht for donkeys years.
It would certainly make sense. And with today’s path not having moved yet, it’s definitely possible. (And would give us an opportunity to see an 8-car ScotRail HST!)

InOban

Established Member
Path for next power cars tomorrow. Fingers crossed for today's delivery in 30 minutes.

43 302

Established Member
Anyone have the formation of the set coming north today?

Last edited:

scotraildriver

Established Member
It's HA 11 formed 40611(ex 41130) - 42267 - 42325 - 42301. Power cars 43151 and 43124

Last edited:

On Moderation
Ah, excellent thanks. Am I right in thinking this is the 19th set delivered then - hence the confusion around which HA Set it was?
Yes, it is the 19th set. Sets are now numbered based on the last two digits of the TGFB vehicle.

Goldromans

Ah, excellent thanks. Am I right in thinking this is the 19th set delivered then - hence the confusion around which HA Set it was?
Indeed, 19th set but not HA19. The HAXX designation now corresponds to the last two digits of the TGFB coach (ie 40611 on set 19 makes it HA11).

Status
Not open for further replies.