• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwl

Established Member
Full electrification to INV and ABD must be several years from completion, perhaps more than ten (sorry don't recall whether dates have been published)? I'd be surprised if the HSTs could soldier on for that long, of if DR would want them to, when for their final few years a significant proportion of running would be under the wires. So I'd have thought bi-modes would be the way to go, at least for the interim.
TS appear to think they have reasonable life span left in the decarb report at the end of July. They seemed quite clear they didn't want short term investment

There are comparatively few structures for clearance problems so not as involves as recent schemes e.g. GWML, MML, Edinburgh - Glasgow or NW Phase 1-4 & 6.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DB

Full electrification to INV and ABD must be several years from completion, perhaps more than ten (sorry don't recall whether dates have been published)? I'd be surprised if the HSTs could soldier on for that long, of if DR would want them to, when for their final few years a significant proportion of running would be under the wires. So I'd have thought bi-modes would be the way to go, at least for the interim.

Can't see any real reason why HSTs couldn't last that long if they had to - they are well-built, and provided any corrosion is repaired before it gets too bad should be OK.

Established Member
Never mind Highland Main Line electrification, which I'd be amazed if we see this side of 2035 given that the A9 was supposed to be fully dualled in four years time.

On topic and of more immediate concern on the route: at this rate of output and availability of stabling, when will get our full HST timetable? May 2021, December 2021...?

BRX

Established Member
Never mind Highland Main Line electrification, which I'd be amazed if we see this side of 2035 given that the A9 was supposed to be fully dualled in four years time.

On topic and of more immediate concern on the route: at this rate of output and availability of stabling, when will get our full HST timetable? May 2021, December 2021...?
Surely that now depends more on what covid does, than the rate of delivery.

Established Member
Surely that now depends more on what covid does, than the rate of delivery.
Good point, but I'd like to think that we'd get our long awaited improvements to HML service to some sort of timescale that isn't entirely driven by Covid. Bear in mind that we're back to a full timetable again - not that it was ever reduced much even in the early days of lockdown.

Stathern Jc

Can anyone clarify what is done at "Doncaster Works Wagn Shops" as distinct from "Doncaster Works Wabtec" where we have seen the previous deliveries coming from?
Thanks

InOban

Established Member
For some reason all the power car movements go to the Wgn shops while the deliveries come from Wabtec. Puzzled me too.

Established Member
To save me scrolling back through the thread, can anyone tell me how many refurbed sets there are now - operational, or stored awaiting reopening of the Aberdeen line?

DannyMich2018

To save me scrolling back through the thread, can anyone tell me how many refurbed sets there are now - operational, or stored awaiting reopening of the Aberdeen line?
There have been 20 sets delivered, the last delivered on 17th August, although as know one has been most likely wrote off in the awful Stonehaven accident so 19 operational sets, likely number 21 will be coming up north possibly in the next few days as per post #12107 with 22 possibly not far behind.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Apparently a set has been out working Fife Circle turns today - 126/137 reported on 1219 Edinburgh-Cowdenbeath and return and 1423 Edinburgh-Cowdenbeath+return

Speed43125

Apparently a set has been out working Fife Circle turns today - 126/137 reported on 1219 Edinburgh-Cowdenbeath and return and 1423 Edinburgh-Cowdenbeath+return
Not surprised given the high service level now and the lack of Mk.2s. Though I would have rejected the idea if it had been on Speculative Ideas, it appears we are now there I guess.

Did it run with only have one power car? :D

route101

Established Member
Not surprised given the high service level now and the lack of Mk.2s. Though I would have rejected the idea if it had been on Speculative Ideas, it appears we are now there I guess.

Did it run with only have one power car? :D

I thought there was enough 158s and 170s ?

DB

I assume you mean powering rather than physically?

It has been done in the past! I remember NXEC doing the morning Leeds to Aberdeen (which had to start at York) with one power car as far as Edinburgh at least once. Nothing attached at the back.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
It has been done in the past! I remember NXEC doing the morning Leeds to Aberdeen (which had to start at York) with one power car as far as Edinburgh at least once. Nothing attached at the back.

True, but I don't see that occurring nowadays unless in an emergency.

Given the set ran two return trips, it must've had a second power car, but it's very possible only one 43 was powering. The first outward service did lose 7 mins time according to RTT

DB

True, but I don't see that occurring nowadays unless in an emergency.

Given the set ran two return trips, it must've had a second power car, but it's very possible only one 43 was powering. The first outward service did lose 7 mins time according to RTT

It's only ever been done in an emergency - there would be no sense in doing it unless it couldn't really be avoided.

alangla

Vaguely remember something posted on scot-rail about that train once running with no rear power car, a knackered one on the front providing ETH only and the Doncaster thunderbird tied to the front actually hauling it. Needless to say it was either 2 fresh power cars or a set swap at Waverley

Blindtraveler

Established Member
If we have sunk to the level of of replacing turbo or sprinter on Edinburgh area local diesel diagrams then at least put them on something we're they might perform reasonably well, a borders service entirely crewed by Edinburgh drivers and guards in both directions perhaps? Would certainly be interesting to try one out on that section

Would it have been any better (from a vandalism point of view) than Slateford?
Seem to remember that Wabtec have closed a Kilmarnock site recently.

Perhaps a deal can be struck with them.

Although it would be better to open it up again and convert HSTs there. Might just save on dead mileage going to Doncaster and help an ailing economy in Ayrshire.

Status
Not open for further replies.