• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

InOban

Established Member
Why the delay in returning this set? The 75mph path on Friday suggests loco hauled, so presumably just extra vehicles.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deltic1961

I regularly get the Inverness to Aberdeen train at Dyce and the last few times its not been HST. Is there an issue with fulfilling all the diagrams they said they would?

najaB

Veteran Member
I regularly get the Inverness to Aberdeen train at Dyce and the last few times its not been HST. Is there an issue with fulfilling all the diagrams they said they would?
I don't think all the Aberdeen-Inverness services are planned as HSTs. What time(s) are you getting the train?

I don't think all the Aberdeen-Inverness services are planned as HSTs. What time(s) are you getting the train?

Only 3 or 4 each way maximum I think depending how much the diagrams have changed since I Iast bothered to look. You can see what is allocated on the day via realtimetrains.co.uk these days which is helpful to those interested.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
These were never slated to be all HST I'm afraid, even without the loss of a set at Carmont, it was always intended to be mixed HST/DMU on the Inverness/Aberdeen services.

Steven_G

Aberdeen to Inverness isn’t quite the express service the Inter7city pitch though.

Station every 10-15 mins

Highlandspring

Established Member
Only 3 or 4 each way maximum I think depending how much the diagrams have changed since I Iast bothered to look. You can see what is allocated on the day via realtimetrains.co.uk these days which is helpful to those interested.
Booked HST workings over the top currently are:

1B14 0456 Inverness - Edinburgh Waverley
1H23 0618 Aberdeen - Inverness
1A44 0601 Inverness - Aberdeen
1A50 1102 Inverness - Aberdeen
1H33 1342 Aberdeen - Inverness
1A60 1811 Inverness - Aberdeen
1H43 2156 Aberdeen - Inverness

John Bishop

There’s been quite a few issues with sets in the last week or so. Unfortunately some HSTs have been supplemented with 2 car 158s which has caused issues with passenger loadings where numerous passengers have had to be left at the station due to the train being full and standing.

Im beginning to think that this is how it’s going to be for the remainder of the time we have HSTs in the fleet.

Killingworth

Established Member
There’s been quite a few issues with sets in the last week or so. Unfortunately some HSTs have been supplemented with 2 car 158s which has caused issues with passenger loadings where numerous passengers have had to be left at the station due to the train being full and standing.

Im beginning to think that this is how it’s going to be for the remainder of the time we have HSTs in the fleet.
Are GWR having similar problems with their Castle units?

Are GWR having similar problems with their Castle units?
Think one of the main problems with HST's in Scotland is the lack of trained staff.

Social distancing does not help with training. Like 2 people in the cab. Although it must be pointed out that training on a simulator with remote monitoring would help this immensely. Seems to work well with airlines.

Passing Haymarket yesterday there did not seem to be too many power cars under repairs and plenty spare coaches at Slateford.

Looking at RTT there appears to be a number in use from Glasgow/Edinburgh to Aberdeen and Inverness.

So perhaps the focus for now is on these services with the temporary timetables.

najaB

Veteran Member
Think one of the main problems with HST's in Scotland is the lack of trained staff.
I dare say that on the maintenance side, it's also a lack of experienced staff. Training only gets you so far when you're dealing with older equipment that doesn't always do exactly what the manual says it should.

I dare say that on the maintenance side, it's also a lack of experienced staff. Training only gets you so far when you're dealing with older equipment that doesn't always do exactly what the manual says it should.
Maintenance does not appear to affect the Glasgow/Edinburgh to Aberdeen and Inverness services. Seen many in use yesterday.

Despite the age of HST's they are only as reliable as their last inspection.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Whatever the reasons let's hope they get sorted soon. ScotRail is going to gain itself a reputation once more for being an unreliable operator that leaves passengers behind if this nonsense carries on. Full and standing 158 is also a concern in these times where physical distancing is still very much required

Davester50

That doesn't say that all services will be HST operated.
Doesn't say they won't, and does give the impression they will.
Mind you, it is ScotRail Twitter, so I'd take anything they post with a pinch of salt.

Isn't there sliding door sets out of use? Sure I passed some about Slateford, or is that a minor maintenance base now?

najaB

Veteran Member
Doesn't say they won't, and does give the impression they will.
My comprehension skills are quite obviously sub-par in that case.
Isn't there sliding door sets out of use? Sure I passed some about Slateford, or is that a minor maintenance base now?
ISTR that they are/were storing some trailers there until Cadder is up and operational.

Davester50

My comprehension skills are quite obviously sub-par in that case.
Well, perhaps they should have been more clear that they, and other trains will link the seven cities.
Haven't they said they'll use the HSTs on some Fife commuter trains? Seems a bit off that two hour Inter-City journeys get commuter trains, while commuter services get InterCity trains.
Yes, I know diagrams come in to it, but If I were on a rammed 2 car 158 between Aberdeen and Inverness (and I was last year before the restrictions), I'd be a bit miffed.

ISTR that they are/were storing some trailers there until Cadder is up and operational.

I take it Inverness and Aberdeen don't have room to spare, so they could be getting used there?

The idea was to give them a monopoly on all/most services on the Aberdeen-Inverness, Aberdeen/Inverness to Edinburgh/Glasgow routes although that wouldn't stop dmu substitution or each route having an odd service booked for a unit (especially not after the fatal loss of a set last summer). It looks like a status quo during these watered down restriction led times has been reached for now as with the Scottish government not confident in easing rules further or encouraging office work again, no international tourism and on-off rules on areas with high cases travelling within Scotland the current reduced timetables and lesser intensive HST turns do the job. The cynic may suggest this is as good as it'll get now for the time being, but let's hope not as I don't think many people want that.

berneyarms

Established Member
With all due respect you're putting two and two together and making five.

It does not say that every train will be an HST - you've interpreted it incorrectly.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Maintenance does not appear to affect the Glasgow/Edinburgh to Aberdeen and Inverness services. Seen many in use yesterday.

Despite the age of HST's they are only as reliable as their last inspection.

However, if there is a shortage of HSTs available for traffic which route would you aim to substitute with units?

diamond chap

Davester50

There was cake earlier and there will be cake later.
And yet, right now there's none. And I'm hungry. ;)

I'm fairly sure it was never proposed that 100% of Aberdeen to Inverness services were to be HST, yet, a more accurate, or clearer wording of the reply would have been better.
Although it does depend on quite how the question was worded.

Several are at Slateford, Coaching formations are in this document. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gtahe5boVeHJ_IODnflrwqY7TGEK8SWKsoQ4VvfdV9c/edit?usp=sharing
This is being updated as things change.

Thanks. A shame they've got some stored. Could do with them earning their keep.

However, if there is a shortage of HSTs available for traffic which route would you aim to substitute with units?
Ahh, for whose benefit?
For the operator - the awkward working.
For the passenger, not theirs.

Although I have nothing against a 170 deputising for an HST, (actually prefer them), I do with a single 158 for one.

najaB

Veteran Member
I'm fairly sure it was never proposed that 100% of Aberdeen to Inverness services were to be HST, yet, a more accurate, or clearer wording of the reply would have been better.
You are correct, it has always been the intent that HSTs would only operate some of the services. The problem here isn't the answer, it's the interpretation.

Status
Not open for further replies.