• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The things I am looking forward to regarding the HSTs are:

• Quieter
  • More space for passengers (more seats)
  • Potentially more cycle space
  • More intercity style travel
  • Faster
  • More frequent
  • Better
Well done TS, Scot Gov and Abellio I say.

It really is a testament to the quality of the original design and build that people consider these trains that are heading towards 50 years old to be something to aspire to which has not really been beaten by anything since (that runs on diesel).

Marklund

The things I am looking forward to regarding the HSTs are:
  • Faster

They have a higher permitted speed, yes, but where will they be able to use it?
Can short sets go to 125 mph?
Is there anywhere that has a linespeed of 125 where they will be used?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
No, short sets can't do 125, it's either 110 or 100 for the 4-car sets due to brake force limitations (I forget which). However I don't believe there is anywhere they could exceed 100 anyway.

Marklund

No, short sets can't do 125, it's either 110 or 100 for the 4-car sets due to brake force limitations (I forget which). However I don't believe there is anywhere they could exceed 100 anyway.
Thanks, I was fairly sure I'd read that the maximum linespeed where they're running would be no more than 100.
They may well be quicker at accelerating, but in normal service, faster? No.

marks87

Established Member
Has it has power doors fitted? Would seem odd to paint it before major surgery.

Clansman

Established Member
The power doors have already been fitted as pictures of the coach in question appeared with the doors in and as well the cut out in the body prior to their instalment.

ld0595

There are a few stretches of 100mph, but nothing faster AFAIK.

I'm sure there are also sections of line where HSTs have higher permitted line speeds over the 170s. The section just north of Dundee towards Broughty Ferry allows a speed of 80mph for HSTs compared for 70mph for other stock (see here) so I see no reason why the shortened HSTs cannot do this.

najaB

Veteran Member
I'm sure there are also sections of line where HSTs have higher permitted line speeds over the 170s. The section just north of Dundee towards Broughty Ferry allows a speed of 80mph for HSTs compared for 70mph for other stock (see here) so I see no reason why the shortened HSTs cannot do this.
Actually, that's not the case. According to the Scottish Sectional Appendix, HST speeds apply to the following: Class 91 locomotive with mark 4 vehicles and DVT, classes 158, 159, 168, 170, 171, 172, 175, 180, 220, 221, 222, 253, 254 and 373.

gsnedders

Established Member
Actually, that's not the case. According to the Scottish Sectional Appendix, HST speeds apply to the following: Class 91 locomotive with mark 4 vehicles and DVT, classes 158, 159, 168, 170, 171, 172, 175, 180, 220, 221, 222, 253, 254 and 373.
Waaaiiiittttt… 373?! In the Scottish Sectional Appendix? They could never run to Scotland without being out-of-gauge. Or is it just a standard definition across the entire SA?

ld0595

Aha! Thanks for explaining - I wasn't aware of that!

marks87

Established Member
Waaaiiiittttt… 373?! In the Scottish Sectional Appendix? They could never run to Scotland without being out-of-gauge. Or is it just a standard definition across the entire SA?

Surely just a legacy from when the (shorter) 373s were intended to run to Glasgow on Regional Eurostar services?

BRX

Established Member
So why the different speed limits for different trains - is it something to do with weight?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
So why the different speed limits for different trains - is it something to do with weight?

Impact on track and braking performance. In particular the HST, when full-length, was designed to be able to brake to a stand from 125mph in the distance a conventional locomotive-hauled train of Mk2 coaches would be able to brake from 100mph.

(Two Miles a Minute by O S Nock is a good read on these things)

route101

Established Member
They have been to Scotland on testing

Clansman

Established Member
Sorry, i've not really been keeping up with this as much as i should - when was the proposed launch? Was it to be gradual?
The proposition was that the HSTs (the first of which is meant to arrive in the next few weeks) would be gradually phased in from May between Aberdeen and Edinburgh, with operation on all Intercity routes by the end of this year, and all sets operating all Intercity services by the end of 2019.

Introduction date now pushed back by over a month.

OmniCity999

Established Member
The proposition was that the HSTs (the first of which is meant to arrive in the next few weeks) would be gradually phased in from May between Aberdeen and Edinburgh, with operation on all Intercity routes by the end of this year, and all sets operating all Intercity services by the end of 2019.

Introduction date now pushed back by over a month.

Cheers Clansman.

Status
Not open for further replies.