• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

shap summit

I believe I saw a training run on Wednesday 8th, about lunch time, between Dundee and Broughty Ferry, I was driving into Dundee and a HST went past in the opposite direction. It was only when it was passed that I realized that it was a short set. So I guess that it was going to Aberdeen.

ash39

Established Member
Have they been painted or is it just vinyl over the FGW blue base?

They do look good, and considerably better than the initial renders which showed a paler blue which looked poor. I still think they'd have looked good in standard dotty ScotRail livery though...

route101

Established Member

They do look good, and considerably better than the initial renders which showed a paler blue which looked poor. I still think they'd have looked good in standard dotty ScotRail livery though...

Yeah i thought they would look good in Scotrail blue too.

On Moderation

They are being repainted at Brush, with the detail of the "landscape" added by vinyl.

And I agree, they would look better in the standard ScotRail livery.

ash39

Established Member
They are being repainted at Brush, with the detail of the "landscape" added by vinyl.

Thanks for the info. The yellow warning panel being exactly the same as the FGW livery made me question it!

Blue looks to be a very similar shade too.

Highlandspring

Established Member
The problem with that is how to deal with the doors, which have to be in a contrasting colour. The Fife Circle loco hauled stock looks pretty poor round the coach ends as a result.

On Moderation
Thanks for the info. The yellow warning panel being exactly the same as the FGW livery made me question it!

Blue looks to be a very similar shade too.
The yellow is actually different if you look at a front end view - on FGW cars it carries on down the side of the light cluster, which it doesn't on the ScotRail version.

Rail Blues

Yeah i thought they would look good in Scotrail blue too.
I think the new livery works very well on the units and really don't think the ecisexis Scotrail liberty would work on a loco like 43 which is all curving lines. Plus, painting them up in standard Scotrail livery would deemphasise the fact that this is an inter city service and different from the commuter/regional stock Scotrail has generally operated to date.

Could be set back a bit with Driver training. The lead HST driver trainer resigned on Friday and is away to FGW!

route101

Established Member
I think the new livery works very well on the units and really don't think the ecisexis Scotrail liberty would work on a loco like 43 which is all curving lines. Plus, painting them up in standard Scotrail livery would deemphasise the fact that this is an inter city service and different from the commuter/regional stock Scotrail has generally operated to date.

I suppose . I look forward to trying them out . i think they still will be very busy and should of been 6 cars

CJSwan

I agree that they should be 6 cars, perhaps a mix of 5 and 6. I was on a 5 car from Aberdeen to Glasgow and then back yesterday (granted it was a Sunday) and all carriages were pretty busy for most of the way in each direction.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I'm still convinced that having a mix of lengths is going to end up regularly with the shorter ones on busy services whilst a longer one trundles along empty

route101

Established Member
I agree that they should be 6 cars, perhaps a mix of 5 and 6. I was on a 5 car from Aberdeen to Glasgow and then back yesterday (granted it was a Sunday) and all carriages were pretty busy for most of the way in each direction.
Yeah , usually a 3 car 170 on that route too .

RichJF

Or keep them a uniform length of 2+5. No backlash from passengers for getting a shorter set & no problems with timetabling.

Northhighland

I know a good few people who drive to Edinburgh and Glasgow from Inverness because the train is regularly rammed especially leaving on the return Journey. I think they would be easily persuaded back to rail and the HST would be attractive, the East coast service is always busy getting into Inverness.

So demand may well increase, so 2+5 all round would seem sensible to me. Also rarely see 1st class on the 170's used that much, not sure what know of pricing they will put on the HST first class. Hard to see why a whole carriage will be used.

Clansman

Established Member
The yellow is actually different if you look at a front end view - on FGW cars it carries on down the side of the light cluster, which it doesn't on the ScotRail version.

First class is always rammed on Inverness services, and I imagine the enhanced provision on the HSTs will make paying the upgrade more worthwhile.

marks87

Established Member
I know a good few people who drive to Edinburgh and Glasgow from Inverness because the train is regularly rammed especially leaving on the return Journey. I think they would be easily persuaded back to rail and the HST would be attractive, the East coast service is always busy getting into Inverness.

So demand may well increase, so 2+5 all round would seem sensible to me. Also rarely see 1st class on the 170's used that much, not sure what know of pricing they will put on the HST first class. Hard to see why a whole carriage will be used.

It's a half-carriage of First Class per set (the buffet coach).

NotATrainspott

Established Member
IIRC, there are depot issues preventing a consistent 2+5 fleet immediately.

Since most routes are run by 3-car 170s today, and the HST-served routes are seeing general capacity/frequency improvements anyway (A2I, hourly to Inverness, Glasgow-Dundee-Aberdeen stopper, etc) it might not be necessary anyway. Clearly though adding some extra Mk3 trailers isn't going to be the end of the world if it's absolutely required.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

On Moderation
The fully refurbished and re liveried power cars are moving up to Craigentinny tomorrow. Thats the move you have linked on RTT.
If you think the ScotRail power cars are "fully refurbished" then you are very much mistaken. Cab repairs, fitting of traction/brake interlock and a repaint do not constitute fully refurbished in my book.

InOban

Established Member
Mid February was suggested by poster from there over a month ago, so at least they're not getting more delayed.

If you think the ScotRail power cars are "fully refurbished" then you are very much mistaken. Cab repairs, fitting of traction/brake interlock and a repaint do not constitute fully refurbished in my book.

I couldnt care less what they've done with them as I'll not be driving them thankfully!
The "fully refurbished" is what the project manager refers to them as. They've done them on the cheap, especially not fitting the WSP/sanders. I'll stick to my 380s and 156s

Status
Not open for further replies.