• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyMich2018

All 26 sets are now to be delivered as 4 cars, with the 5th added once they are all here.
It's been rumoured for some time that the rest would be delivered as 4 car only, the "classics" have only ever ran as 4 so surely if we were ever to get any 5-cars some classics would have been made up to five cars? At least with 9 sets now delivered things seems to be improving very slowly, ScotRail seem to be using very small number of "Classics" in service now but they must be more around as not all have gone to Wabtec yet?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Northhighland

You'd be surprised at those who prefer 170 first class to the refurb HST.

I would be surprised can’t see why any HML passengers would say that. The lack of cold air at every station and the noise are hard things to prefer over the HST environment.

I have never heard any passenger say that.

RLBH

I would be surprised can’t see why any HML passengers would say that. The lack of cold air at every station and the noise are hard things to prefer over the HST environment.

I have never heard any passenger say that.
I'm quite partial to First Class on a 170 - the saloon doors make a massive difference, and there's something to be said for the small saloon creating a compartment-like cosiness. It's lacking a lot compared to an HST, sure, but it's not without merits either.

Highland37

Established Member
One criticism I have heard is the lighting - too bright and harsh. Not sure if that was on a refurb or classic though.

Northhighland

Lighting is fine most of them run with only half the lights on. Fine for working.

Classic interiors are fine as well even if high density seating is not perfect it is better than standing by a country mile.

InvHst

So HA18 arrived Tuesday from Doncaster when nobody expected it. Today it's entered service and will finish in Inverness at 2101. Where the hell did the reliability come from so quick that's a huge step in the right direction

InOban

Established Member
The previous delivery also entered service within a day or two. I think that the pause in deliveries was caused by Angel Trains/ScotRail insisting that the refurbs were delivered ready for use. I seem to recall that some of the early units were quite unserviceable with roof leaks etc. And that Wabtec vans were observed at Haymarket, presumably with staff rectifying these faults.

Doesn't explain why so few refurbs are in use each day. Excluding one set at Brodies for a scheduled exam, they now have eight plus Classics.

dmkc

Well there was a classic set sitting in P19 back of 5pm... Oddly next departure to Careenden... Normally a 68 turn... Now a good gap of time before that departure so it was possibly awaiting a run back to the depot.

Maybe just a coincidence

However a refurb set was on P15... Next train to Glenrothes. Very odd considering that the ban on units docking on top of HSTs is still a thing?

Chris125

Established Member
Doesn't explain why so few refurbs are in use each day. Excluding one set at Brodies for a scheduled exam, they now have eight plus Classics.

Perhaps they are using the run-up to the new timetable to go through the refurbs and find/fix as many issues as possible? That's what I'd do.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Currently sat on the 1357 Aberdeen-Edinburgh, which is a refurb (and we’ve just left Aberdeen on time). A couple of mins before we left another refurb arrived from Edinburgh bang on time, and I noticed that the 1338 to Inverness was a classic. Pretty good!

Speed43125

Still a leap from 10 to 26 by May, but the availability recently has been better
if we want 26 by may, you'd be talking what 3 or 4 units a month? at the rate Wabtec are going now, no chance. But if they get their act together and if the stock isn't all leacy roofed and if scotrail staff are more capable of maintaining the things and if they sort something out with the cycle storage (through different layout 5th coach or otherwise). We'd be golden.
Only issue is that's still far too many 'if's..

Last edited:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
if we want 26 by may, you'd be talking what 3 or 4 units a month? at the rate Wabtec are going now, no chance. But if they get their act together and if the stock isn't all leacy roofed and if scotrail staff are more capable of maintaining the things and if they sort something out with the cycle storage (through different layout 5th coach or otherwise). We'd be golden.
Only issue is that's still far too many 'if's..

Yes and that's why I first found it difficult to believe and still do

gingertom

Established Member
refurb set snapped at Edinburgh Waverley this evening.

Attachments

• IMG_20191215_153257.jpg
    IMG_20191215_153257.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 139

59CosG95

Established Member
LinkedIn post from Wabtec Faiveley UK states that 43142 & 43144 (the final powercar pair) should be leaving Brush tomorrow.
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/wabt...mprising-of-activity-6610232989886541825-p4Oq

Brush Traction have been working on 54 power cars over the project for Abellio ScotRail, with the first pair arriving on site on the 21st October 2017 (43033 and 43148). The final pair are due to leave Brush’s site on the 17th December (subject to movement path availability). Work on the project includes:
• Traction interlock system installation to enable functionality with Wabtec Rail’s trailer car power door upgrade
• Forward facing CCTV installation
• Major corrosion repairs
• Full re-paint and new vinyl livery with Abellio ScotRail’s 7 cities graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.