• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottDarg

Worth noting that all HSTs out Yesterday (08/02) were Refurbished sets - the only Class 170 substitutions were due to disruption caused by a failed freight service. Sets out were HA16, HA17, HA18, HA19, HA20, HA21, HA22, HA25 and HA26 (9 sets in total).

One of todays sets was involved in a collision with a tree earlier:
#StormCiara One of our InterCity high-speed trains struck a tree near Insch earlier. We're still working to fix the situation, but as you can see, the train has been damaged. Appreciate your patience if you're on board or on any of the services affected.
EQWibJZXsAYw0in

https://twitter.com/ScotRail/status/1226565065656217600?s=20

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldromans

Looks like it was missed, but worth noting that all HSTs out Yesterday (08/02) were Refurbished sets - the only Class 170 substitutions were due to disruption caused by a failed freight service. Sets out were HA16, HA17, HA18, HA19, HA20, HA21, HA22, HA25 and HA26 (9 sets in total).

One of todays sets was involved in a collision with a tree earlier:

EQWibJZXsAYw0in

https://twitter.com/ScotRail/status/1226565065656217600?s=20
I assume a power car swap can mean the train will be able after the storm drama is sorted?

Far north 37

Established Member

Highland37

Established Member
It looks like Scotrail are doing a much better job of getting the sets out and recent weeks have seen a huge improvement. I have enjoyed travelling on them.

On Moderation
I assume a power car swap can mean the train will be able after the storm drama is sorted?
Yes - one of the advantages of the HST is that you can replace an individual vehicle in cases like this. Unlike, for example, an Azuma where a damaged driving car takes the whole set out of service - in the case of the Neville Hill accident for many months - and means either cancellations or short forms.

FOH

It looks like Scotrail are doing a much better job of getting the sets out and recent weeks have seen a huge improvement. I have enjoyed travelling on them.
Who are you? And what have you done with Highland37? ;)

Speed43125

Who are you? And what have you done with Highland37? ;)
in fairness it has been very good on the last few days. Very few 170s, I heard the 170 air brake noise as one pulled in earlier today and was very surprised, having spent a good while listening to just 385s and 43s the sound of the turbostar was surprisingly intrusive. Safe to say they seem to have improved the situation dramatically.

Speed43125

Highland37

Established Member
Welcome to the forum ;)

Ha. I just say as I see it. Don't get me wrong, the railway is still very much stuck in the past and its own worst enemy. The increase in emissions also concerns me and the worst ever cycle provision but Scotrail aren't interested in the latter.

Paul Kerr

Ha. I just say as I see it. Don't get me wrong, the railway is still very much stuck in the past and its own worst enemy. The increase in emissions also concerns me and the worst ever cycle provision but Scotrail aren't interested in the latter.

If the rumours are true about the 5th trailer for each set changing from a standard TS to a TGS, that should at least address the cycle issue.

For the emissions, how much additional CO2 per mile are we talking about? The MTU in the HST power car is a relatively new power unit; indeed it's several years newer than the ones on the 170s they are replacing...

Established Member
So what do we think, is full implementation for December 2020 timetable - two years late - a realistic possibility?

DirtyJohn

So what do we think, is full implementation for December 2020 timetable - two years late - a realistic possibility?

The first set started being stripped around September 2017, id like to know who said they could strip and build 26 sets in 1 year lol.
There was issues at first with corrosion, asbestos, mold and workers leaving for Hitach.
Even without those problems, there's no chance you're gonna get all those sets done in 1 year.

mic505

You also forgot to mention the different length measurements per coach, since they were hand-built from 1975-82.

Established Member
The first set started being stripped around September 2017, id like to know who said they could strip and build 26 sets in 1 year lol.
There was issues at first with corrosion, asbestos, mold and workers leaving for Hitach.
Even without those problems, there's no chance you're gonna get all those sets done in 1 year.
Okay, so an HST timetable in May 2021. That's over six years since Abellio took over the franchise and less than a year before they lose it. Cracking.

Just on the subject of the timetable, there's quite a few people up here on Speyside who know and are convinced that the Highland Main Line will collapse under the strain as soon as it's introduced. Too many trains and not enough capacity and resilience other than the double track between Blair Atholl and Dalwhinnie. So that's the next treat awaiting us...

DirtyJohn

IIRC BR had asbestos removed from rolling stock before privatisation so can you elaborate on the issues with the Mk3 please?

The asbestos was only minimal, it was found in the bitumen paint that was put on the inside shell when first built.
It was classed as non licensed removal, and was removed in certain areas before it went to the welders and then vehicle builders.
We are talking 0000000.1% but as we all know what a single fibre can do.

DirtyJohn

Okay, so an HST timetable in May 2021. That's over six years since Abellio took over the franchise and less than a year before they lose it. Cracking.

Just on the subject of the timetable, there's quite a few people up here on Speyside who know and are convinced that the Highland Main Line will collapse under the strain as soon as it's introduced. Too many trains and not enough capacity and resilience other than the double track between Blair Atholl and Dalwhinnie. So that's the next treat awaiting us...

If i was a guessing man, i reckon all 26 sets could be done by december. Especially as a contact finishes in March which, would release a lot more welders and fitters/vehicle builders.

PG

Established Member
The asbestos was only minimal, it was found in the bitumen paint that was put on the inside shell when first built.
It was classed as non licensed removal, and was removed in certain areas before it went to the welders and then vehicle builders.
We are talking 0000000.1% but as we all know what a single fibre can do.
Thank you for the detailed explanation, things like this go someway towards explaining the slow rate of progress at Wabtec.

Status
Not open for further replies.