• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

On Moderation
What's that to do with HST engine swaps? Genuine question or is that related to how the 80x are maintained?
Craigentinny has been an HST depot for 40+ years until last year. Over the last 20+ of those years it has been doing all scheduled maintenance on the East Coast fleet except for the Brush re-engineering programme and similar, but including E, F and G exams, power unit changes, cooler group changes etc etc. It's just that Hitachi aren't interested/don't have the capacity to take on what is external work.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Craigentinny has been an HST depot for 40+ years until last year. Over the last 20+ of those years it has been doing all scheduled maintenance on the East Coast fleet except for the Brush re-engineering programme and similar, but including E, F and G exams, power unit changes, cooler group changes etc etc. It's just that Hitachi aren't interested/don't have the capacity to take on what is external work.

Understand what you meant now, it does seem somewhat disingenuous that Craigentinny doesn't do external work though as Haymarket seems to be able to do everything now I don't suppose it makes much difference to ScotRail's HST fleet.

scotraildriver

Established Member
Understand what you meant now, it does seem somewhat disingenuous that Craigentinny doesn't do external work though as Haymarket seems to be able to do everything now I don't suppose it makes much difference to ScotRail's HST fleet.
Craigentinny are struggling with Hitachi work as it is, there are regular requests for Cl385 units to be diverted to Millerhill overnight as they can't be accommodated at Craigentinny due to too much work. They certainly aren't in need of additional work in the form of HSTs. And personally I think Haymarket are doing a decent job anyway so no real need now for maintenance at Craigentinny.

InOban

Established Member
I thought that the 385s only went to Craigentinny for servicing. Overnight they should be at Millerhill.
Essentially the eastern depots are Hitachi - 385 and 80x
Haymarket is 170 and HST
Any 158s are serviced in Glasgow or Inverness, although I doubt that there are any longer services to take any North.
Am I right?

scotraildriver

Established Member
I thought that the 385s only went to Craigentinny for servicing. Overnight they should be at Millerhill.
Haymarket is 170 and HST
Any 158s are serviced in Glasgow or Inverness, although I doubt that there are any longer services to take any North.
Am I right?
Routine servicing is done at Millerhill. Craigentinny is the Cl385 maintenance depot so any units requiring more than routine servicing or a maintenance exam are done at Craigentinny. Even Shields don't touch them.

Clansman

Established Member
Haymarket is 170 and HST
Am I right?
The first Perth-Aberdeen and last Aberdeen to Perth, plus the morning Dundee-Inverness direct, allow up to 9 x 158s to rotate between the north and the central belt when the HSTs are in service. More often than not do these services consist of at least a 158/170 combo.

Speed43125

The first Perth-Aberdeen and last Aberdeen to Perth, plus the morning Dundee-Inverness direct, allow up to 9 x 158s to rotate between the north and the central belt when the HSTs are in service. More often than not do these services consist of at least a 158/170 combo.
Usually an early (0701 departure) Perth to Queen Street service of 3 x 158 as well

Established Member
I think an increase in the speeds right across the HML would be more beneficial than focusing on just one stretch. Surely there's places which can be increased to 90/100mph?
Well, you probably could drive an HST up Drumochter at 100 with no ill effect. Then you'd come to a shuddering halt at Dalwhinnie waiting for the southbound service.

A bit off topic, but speaking as a long suffering passenger on the HML, my view is that improving line speeds is secondary to dealing with capacity. Three extra loops please.

Staying off topic, if any part of the Scottish network should be taken to a consistent 100+ then it's Dunblane-Hilton Jn. It's engineered to identical standards of the WCML north of Carlisle, and already delivers pretty good timings even with 170s.

InOban

Established Member
Thanks for the extra information. I knew I could rely on the forum to fill in the gaps in my knowledge.

Rather than several short loops, the HML needs a couple of long dynamic loops.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Haymarket is 170 and HST
Am I right?

Seems to be very few 158s in Queen Street compared with last year, the HSTs have just about ousted them from the longer-distance workings.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Staying off topic, if any part of the Scottish network should be taken to a consistent 100+ then it's Dunblane-Hilton Jn. It's engineered to identical standards of the WCML north of Carlisle, and already delivers pretty good timings even with 170s.

The current 90 section (including the intermediate 100 section) was the first section of line north of the E&G to be passed for anything higher than 75 in Scotland.

ER158715

Haymarket predominately do the power cars with day to day work and exams of coaches too. Inverness do the X-exams plus the C4/C6 on the coaches. There is also the wheel lathe in the TMD -43030 is currently in to get tyres done.
on the subject of 158 on the HML, prior to revised Timetable, the first departure from Perth north (0508 or there abouts) and 1B06 (0536) from Inverness are also booked for 158 units.

route101

Established Member
Seems to be very few 158s in Queen Street compared with last year, the HSTs have just about ousted them from the longer-distance workings.

Think they are on Maryhill line services. Some Dundee stoppers, 170 more often than not.

Surprised they are maintained at Corkerhill.

Clansman

Established Member
Think they are on Maryhill line services. Some Dundee stoppers, 170 more often than not.

Surprised they are maintained at Corkerhill.
Sometimes work the once a day to Fife as well, which will keep them rotating throughout Scotland in addition to said services above.

Corkerhill? I thought Corkerhill only plugged the gaps in for Haymarket and Inverness when 158s started working Shotts services, and assumed this would be wound down by now?

scotraildriver

Established Member
Sometimes work the once a day to Fife as well, which will keep them rotating throughout Scotland in addition to said services above.

Corkerhill? I thought Corkerhill only plugged the gaps in for Haymarket and Inverness when 158s started working Shotts services, and assumed this would be wound down by now?
158725-741 (exc 737)are based at Corkerhill. Haymarket don't have capacity now that they have the HSTs. It's jam packed every night.

route101

Established Member
158725-741 (exc 737)are based at Corkerhill. Haymarket don't have capacity now that they have the HSTs. It's jam packed every night.

Didnt reliase they were based , i thought it was for maintaince and rotated through on Shotts services. Eastfield not have space?

InOban

Established Member
I believe that the last Shotts line service each day is operated by a 158 to get it back to Corkerhill.

Scotrail88

How many HSTs were in daily services before the lockdown.
With the classics away and the DMUs required for the fife circle services, be interesting to see if still be tight making fleet with substitutes still being common.

scotraildriver

Established Member
There were generally 9 diagrams before lockdown. We've now got 17 refurbs so should be fine. The refurbs are much more reliable than the classics and don't cause delays at stations so should work fine. I expect we'll probably have the full 26 sets available before passenger numbers return to normal - if they ever do.

Scotrail88

There would probably have been a planned increase from the May timetable change but sounds like HSTs should be more common and reliable now.
At this rate, there should be another few here by any timetable increase in a few weeks.

Agree that will be a long time, if ever, passenger numbers increase. Can’t see there being a peak demand with more flexible working and home working.

Goldromans

Wabtec have certainly upped their game since the start of the year, with a delivery every three weeks or so.

Goldromans

Alex Hynes has confirmed they’re working on labelling the HST services as ScotRail InterCity on departure boards, now that the classics have been withdrawn.

Status
Not open for further replies.