• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotraildriver

Established Member
The project manager stated a couple of months back that all the vehicles for the original project were now under conversion. So that would suggest these are additional vehicles, or indeed possibly for GWR.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
The project manager stated a couple of months back that all the vehicles for the original project were now under conversion. So that would suggest these are additional vehicles, or indeed possibly for GWR.
They are not for GWR and are not extra for ScotRail. They are part of the originally identified fleet of 121 vehicles.

scotraildriver

Established Member
The PM stayed on 23rd March that all vehicles for the original build were now in Doncaster or Kilmarnock. What are they for then? You seem to know all about what they're not for.

On Moderation
The PM stayed on 23rd March that all vehicles for the original build were now in Doncaster or Kilmarnock. What are they for then? You seem to know all about what they're not for.
I’ve told you: they are part of the original fleet of 9 x 4-car and 17 x 5-car. Did the PM perhaps mean the initial 26 x 4-car are all at Wabtec and these are going up as part of the 17 TSs to make sets up to 5-car?

fgwrich

Established Member

Further to the above post by 43096, the remaining GW Vehicles are on GW territory at the moment. Wabtec are concentrating on the ScotRail sets at Doncaster only, with 1 GW Set also there for conversion. All the XC vehicles are now converted with the last 5 due to leave for Laira shortly.

43 302

Established Member
Further to the above post by 43096, the remaining GW Vehicles are on GW territory at the moment. Wabtec are concentrating on the ScotRail sets at Doncaster only, with 1 GW Set also there for conversion. All the XC vehicles are now converted with the last 5 due to leave for Laira shortly.
Out of interest do you know the vehicles in GW depots? I was only aware of one set at Long Rock a while back.

Dave91131

Out of interest do you know the vehicles in GW depots? I was only aware of one set at Long Rock a while back.

My notes have 42087-42554-42566-42580-44100 as still on GWR metals, though I will defer to the greater knowledge of those who may be more 'in the know'.

3973EXL

Established Member

Presumably a replacement path for the #20 power cars to Doncaster, since the one last week was cancelled. No sign of #19 coming North.
ROG move 18/07. Don't know if connected, suspect just a VAR on a schedule that won't run.

Goldromans

How reliable have the HST’s been recently? I know there’s a reduced timetable at the moment, but are we seeing the services that are meant to be HSTs actually being worked by one?

delt1c

Established Member
looking forward to my 1st trip on the highland mainline with Scot Rail HST

InvHst

How reliable have the HST’s been recently? I know there’s a reduced timetable at the moment, but are we seeing the services that are meant to be HSTs actually being worked by one?

Hard to gauge truthfully can be some issues if a line issue occurs and then they dont have stock in right place. Some days we have 170s instead of hst due to a fault but rare these days

Stathern Jc

Did notice on RTT today that 3 Inverness services which are usually HSTs were a single 158. Don't know the reason.
1B52 0944 Inverness to Waverley (Cancelled beyond Perth), 1H13 1333 Waverley to Inverness, and 1T62 1727 Inverness to Queen St.
Think that's all the same diagram.

InOban

Established Member
The movement from Haymarket to Doncaster has passed Ferryhill. I'm sure someone will pick it up on a Railcam.

InvHst

Did notice on RTT today that 3 Inverness services which are usually HSTs were a single 158. Don't know the reason.
1B52 0944 Inverness to Waverley (Cancelled beyond Perth), 1H13 1333 Waverley to Inverness, and 1T62 1727 Inverness to Queen St.
Think that's all the same diagram.

Yep same diagram train south was heavily delayed so set terminated in Perth and instead of not running a set a 158 took a path to Edinburgh under the old one and then finished the diagram

Goldromans

I was traveling yesterday on what I’ve just learned was the first refurb set delivered to ScotRail way back in August 2018. I saw a significant number of the seat coverings coming undone which really took away from the ‘new train’ look. I travelled again today on set number 9 (delivered Nov ‘19), walked through all three standard coaches and didn’t see one seat like this. Is there a known difference in quality between the first few and more recent sets? I remember there was an issue with leaking with the early sets.

PG

Established Member
I was traveling yesterday on what I’ve just learned was the first refurb set delivered to ScotRail way back in August 2018. I saw a significant number of the seat coverings coming undone which really took away from the ‘new train’ look. I travelled again today on set number 9 (delivered Nov ‘19), walked through all three standard coaches and didn’t see one seat like this. Is there a known difference in quality between the first few and more recent sets? I remember there was an issue with leaking with the early sets.
A shame to hear that. I do recall comments earlier saying that the first set, which I travelled on when it was about a month old, was suffering with leaks.

I too would be interested to know if is affecting other sets, and wonder if they'll be rectified by Wabtec presumably once all sets are, finally, delivered?

scotraildriver

Established Member
The quality has undoubtedly improved as time goes on. I assume you mean the headrests falling off, which does seem to happen with these seats. The 158s with the same seats suffer similar issues. Leaky roofs are unfortunately the result of 40 year old corroded rotten steel.

Speed43125

In short, yes. The sets currently being delivered are of better quality than the first few, but especially that first set which was talked about in detail on this thread at the time, can't be bothered to go back and look, but it's all there.

Northhighland

Notice the livery looks quite dirty and tired on the power cars very quickly. A few look pretty poor already.

Think the vinyl is quite stained and doesn’t seem to clean very well. Shame as otherwise a very good product.

Goldromans

Notice the livery looks quite dirty and tired on the power cars very quickly. A few look pretty poor already.

Think the vinyl is quite stained and doesn’t seem to clean very well. Shame as otherwise a very good product.
It’s made worse by the fact the painted areas stay much cleaner than the vinyl too. A real same as it really takes away from a great (IMO) livery.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
It’s made worse by the fact the painted areas stay much cleaner than the vinyl too. A real same as it really takes away from a great (IMO) livery.

It does but save cleaning more frequently I don't think much can be done to rectify the issue which is a fault of the light coloured livery and the vinyl rather than paint application

InOban

Established Member
I was thinking that we were due another delivery this week. Perhaps the guys are on holiday.

Railperf

Established Member
What is happening to the rake of 4 FGW trailers parked up on the south side od the Edinburgh to Carstairs route not far from Haymarket

DB

They'd have been better sticking with the standard Scotrail livery - that doesn't show the dirt as much, and I suspect the HST livery will increasingly start to look worn unless they replace the vinyls on the power cars every couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.