• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Given the number of vehicles left to convert, of which some will already be in hand, I can’t imagine the economics of reopening the site would be remotely favourable. In the grand scheme of things, the cost of getting to and from Doncaster will be trivial.

If the economics of keeping Kilmarnock open didn’t work when the conversion was in full flight, it certainly won’t now.

ScottDarg

Seem to remember that Wabtec have closed a Kilmarnock site recently.

Perhaps a deal can be struck with them.

Although it would be better to open it up again and convert HSTs there. Might just save on dead mileage going to Doncaster and help an ailing economy in Ayrshire.

The site Wabtec had at Kilmarnock has already been acquired by Brodie Engineering so no scope for Wabtec to move back in.

Railperf

Established Member
Not surprised given the high service level now and the lack of Mk.2s. Though I would have rejected the idea if it had been on Speculative Ideas, it appears we are now there I guess.

Did it run with only have one power car? :D
Be surprised for Scotrail to send out a set on one power car only. I've seen sets pulled out of service when one of the two power cars won't start.

Didn’t Brodie take that site over? Capacity and knowledge there for HST work once existing order completed with Doncaster

Brodie took over an empty Civil Engineers workshop at Kilmarnock. Across the line from Barclay's, which became Wabtec who closed the workshop.

Brodie seem to mange to get work that Wabtec could not and may look to expand across the line. Assuming they can get enough work to fill the place.

ScottDarg

Brodie took over an empty Civil Engineers workshop at Kilmarnock. Across the line from Barclay's, which became Wabtec who closed the workshop.

Brodie seem to mange to get work that Wabtec could not and may look to expand across the line. Assuming they can get enough work to fill the place

Brodie Engineering have had the Bonnyton depot for years - which is the ex-Civil Engineering depot you mentioned.

The article linked is regarding the former Wabtec site - which they have moved into. They retain both sites.

The linked article clearly covers this point:
The site was purchased from Wabtec Rail Scotland following its recent closure. Brodie Engineering acknowledges the professionalism of Wabtec Rail Scotland in the management of the transaction. The facility will allow Brodie Engineering to continue to expand its activities in Kilmarnock. Work will continue at Bonnyton Rail Depot along with this expansion.

fgwrich

Established Member
Brodie Engineering have had the Bonnyton depot for years - which is the ex-Civil Engineering depot you mentioned.

The article linked is regarding the former Wabtec site - which they have moved into. They retain both sites.

The linked article clearly covers this point:

Correct, Brodies have already started work in the former Wabtec site - the XC 170 Damaged in the Bromsgrove Incident is currently in there for repairs. WABTEC won't be coming back to Kilmarnock, the site has well and truly been sold to Brodies who are keen to expand over the line into the much larger worksite, as they seem to have more than enough work going through the cramped Bonnyton site at the moment (317 PRM Works, ScotRail 153 Conversion Work, ScotRail Overhauls, Collision and repair works for TOCs including GA & XC to name a few).

gingertom

Established Member
Correct, Brodies have already started work in the former Wabtec site - the XC 170 Damaged in the Bromsgrove Incident is currently in there for repairs. WABTEC won't be coming back to Kilmarnock, the site has well and truly been sold to Brodies who are keen to expand over the line into the much larger worksite, as they seem to have more than enough work going through the cramped Bonnyton site at the moment (317 PRM Works, ScotRail 153 Conversion Work, ScotRail Overhauls, Collision and repair works for TOCs including GA & XC to name a few).
One would hope Brodies have hired the staff that Wabtec made redundant from the closure of the site.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Regarding the site being named Caledonia, has this ever had its roots with the former Caledonian Railway company, even though Kilmarnock is predominantly former Glasgow & South Western territory?

The current main line to Glasgow was opened fully as the Glasgow & Kilmarnock Joint by the G&SWR AND the Caledonian and run as a joint railway by both companies

InvHst

I can't find the set and what it was working but there is a photo of a refurb hst through newburgh this afternoon that looks like it has a classic coach in the consist? Surely that's a worry if true

Taken from fb (Not my photo)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201005-220001_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20201005-220001_Facebook.jpg
    685.1 KB · Views: 185

ER158715

ScotRail have no serviceable “Classic” coaches left. That is a shadow from a tree on the left that’s causing an illusion. Time for Specsavers

InvHst

[/QUOTE]
No. That's a shadow.

1b31 allegedly the service. I'm sure it was a shadow as well

ScotRail have no serviceable “Classic” coaches left. That is a shadow from a tree on the left that’s causing an illusion. Time for Specsavers

Nah I totally thought it was a shadow was questioning the original post which was adamant that it was a classic..

On Moderation
Even if they did have classic stock still, they would be unable to operate a mixed formation.

OmniCity999

Established Member
When i first seen that image, i thought it was one of the Caledonian Sleeper Mk5's!

Shadow trickery right enough!

InOban

Established Member

Another delivery path on Tuesday. We'll see.

Now rescheduled for Friday.

InOban

Established Member
Presumably two power cars for a delivery of another set in 2-3 weeks. We've wondered before in this thread why they don't go straight to Wabtec.

On Moderation
Presumably two power cars for a delivery of another set in 2-3 weeks. We've wondered before in this thread why they don't go straight to Wabtec.
The location of “Doncaster Works Wagn Shops” is Wabtec. Predecessor RFS bought the old wagon works and that is today’s Wabtec site.

InOban

Established Member
Ah! But why are there still two locations in the System so that the Wagn Shops appear as a destination of a path but Wabtec as an origin?

Status
Not open for further replies.