• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
Talking of stores coaches whats the story with the rake of classic coaches sitting in the yard at Dundee? Been there a wee while now. Obviously not required but presumably still leased?
When I asked up-thread the answer was that they've been stripped for spares and, given that the ends weren't boarded up to protect them from the elements, are in pretty poor state now. I guess their next journey will be to the scrapyard - perhaps at Inverkeithing?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
XC removed one of the toilets on each of their coaches to create space for 2 of the extra seats.
I thought that for for the toilet retention tanks because the arrangement of the underfloor modules only allow one end to retain a toilet?

CC 72100

Established Member
XC removed one of the toilets on each of their coaches to create space for 2 of the extra seats.
This was done 10 years ago when XC initially refurbished the sets and had slam doors at the time.

The fitting of power doors now is a separate thing, but naturally the 'lost' toilet would have likely been removed as per other TOCs.

Note that the toilet on the TGS (G) has now been locked out, which it never was when sets had slam doors.

On Moderation
I thought that for for the toilet retention tanks because the arrangement of the underfloor modules only allow one end to retain a toilet?
Correct. There is only space for a tank at one end. At the other end, the brake equipment is in the equivalent space.

DB

Talking of stores coaches whats the story with the rake of classic coaches sitting in the yard at Dundee? Been there a wee while now. Obviously not required but presumably still leased?

Possibly one of the sets sold to Scotrail as spares?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Correct. There is only space for a tank at one end. At the other end, the brake equipment is in the equivalent space.
Presumably the sleepers had the advantage of being built with CET and that both toilets are one end or is that why they are both one end - the design couldn't be readily modified to have two CETs but at opposite ends?

On Moderation
Presumably the sleepers had the advantage of being built with CET and that both toilets are one end or is that why they are both one end - the design couldn't be readily modified to have two CETs but at opposite ends?
I suspect they were designed that way deliberately to avoid a costly underfloor redesign (if it is possible). It’s not like you can just remove the brake frame!

Can anyone help with the numbers of these coaches at Perth?

Thanks

Azzy49

I'm in Dundee Myself and unfortunately I'm not sure, I presume they are only keeping the rake of Coaches there to use room? That's the first I've heard of the coaches. Other than that on my Visits to Broughty Ferry post Stonehaven Crash, I've seen a few Hsts pass.

najaB

Veteran Member
I'm in Dundee Myself and unfortunately I'm not sure, I presume they are only keeping the rake of Coaches there to use room? That's the first I've heard of the coaches.
They've been in the carriage sidings for a few months now - I'd guess since about June/July.

Azzy49

They've been in the carriage sidings for a few months now - I'd guess since about June/July.
The only time I've been down there recently was in October, I did see them but didn't wonder too much as I was on a coach to Glasgow. My thinking is that their kept there either as spares or if a Depot is full. I doubt about the Depot though.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I suspect they were designed that way deliberately to avoid a costly underfloor redesign (if it is possible). It’s not like you can just remove the brake frame!
Very true, I imagine that had some bearing.

Can anyone help with the numbers of these coaches at Perth?

Thanks
Are there ones in Perth too?

I'm in Dundee Myself and unfortunately I'm not sure, I presume they are only keeping the rake of Coaches there to use room? That's the first I've heard of the coaches. Other than that on my Visits to Broughty Ferry post Stonehaven Crash, I've seen a few Hsts pass.
The ones in Dundee are ex-Classic sets HA31 and HA32 I believe

Azzy49

Very true, I imagine that had some bearing.

Are there ones in Perth too?

The ones in Dundee are ex-Classic sets HA31 and HA32 I believe
Thank you for the information, at the moment I suppose it's anyone's guess what they are doing in Dundee still.

Azzy49

Afaik ScotRail bought them from Angel and they are for spares, that's what I read anyway.
That makes sense, Dundee has kept spare Trains in the past from Scotrail Hsts to the odd SPT 170. Was in Broughty Ferry today... saw 170471 operating the 13:24 service from Aberdeen to Edinburgh.

Journeyman

Established Member
When I asked up-thread the answer was that they've been stripped for spares and, given that the ends weren't boarded up to protect them from the elements, are in pretty poor state now. I guess their next journey will be to the scrapyard - perhaps at Inverkeithing?

Shall we start a thread discussing potential uses for them? :)

*ducks*

DB

*ducks*

Not impossible that some of them could be used to replace the Carmont set.

If they do go for scrap one of the rail connected scrapyards is most likely - Scotrail previously sent a set to Booths.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
That makes sense, Dundee has kept spare Trains in the past from Scotrail Hsts to the odd SPT 170. Was in Broughty Ferry today... saw 170471 operating the 13:24 service from Aberdeen to Edinburgh.
Isn't first class suspended anyway? So use of a Suburban set doesn't matter.

At least if they've re-instated it is hadn't noticed. It would be useful in HSTs where first class provision is of course greater.

*ducks*
*Opens thread*

Spares, spares and... spares.

*Closes thread*

;)

Azzy49

Isn't first class suspended anyway? So use of a Suburban set doesn't matter.

At least if they've re-instated it is hadn't noticed. It would be useful in HSTs where first class provision is of course greater.

*Opens thread*

Spares, spares and... spares.

*Closes thread*

;)
I'm not sure about first class but it would make sense to suspend it for better times. So I think maybe that's why I've been seeing more 170's and 158's on the Scene as no need really for HST's as I don't think many People will really be travelling.
s and 15

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I'm not sure about first class but it would make sense to suspend it for better times. So I think maybe that's why I've been seeing more 170's and 158's on the Scene as no need really for HST's as I don't think many People will really be travelling.
s and 15
I know that it was suspended, not sure if they've re-instated it yet or not. Catering still seems to be suspended.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
I know that it was suspended, not sure if they've re-instated it yet or not. Catering still seems to be suspended.

When I had a quick look at the Scotrail website the other day, I noticed that the Edinburgh - Glasgow Queen Street via Falkirk High timetable states just above the footer of the table "All services within this timetable convey Standard Class accommodation only".

I have not had a proper look at the timetables for the HST routes.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
When I had a quick look at the Scotrail website the other day, I noticed that the Edinburgh - Glasgow Queen Street via Falkirk High timetable states just above the footer of the table "All services within this timetable convey Standard Class accommodation only".

I have not had a proper look at the timetables for the HST routes.
Had a look at their website, still appears to be suspended:

As part of our response to COVID-19, we have decided to remove First Class tickets from sale starting Tuesday 16 June. This will allow us to use the First Class carriages to better spread customers throughout the train and support physical distancing. Your First Class ticket remains valid for travel and you can continue to sit in the First Class carriage providing it is safe to do so.

We understand you may want to obtain a refund for your First Class ticket and buy a Standard Class ticket instead. Please visit our Refunds page for guidance and instructions.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Wonder when it will be reinstated... can't imagine that happening this year.
No, possibly next timetable change or maybe sooner if vaccination goes well and the Gov't removes most restrictions.

Hopefully then the buffets will open again as well and the HSTs will be diagrammed much more intensively.

Established Member
But if a Scotrail intercity service conveys no First Class accommodation due to the train type, where is there for the off duty staff to sit?

Only joking before anyone gets offended, I understand there are perfectly good reasons for that degree of segregation at the moment!

Status
Not open for further replies.