• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
HST sets. The TGS vehicles were fitted with buffers and drophead buckeye couplers, though I've never understood why this was necessary as a 91 can couple to an HST vehicle using its buckeye.

Not all the TGS used with the 91s actually received buffers, 91s did run with some only equipped with their buckeye (Alliance) couplers.

Eight were converted to run with 91s during the modification process it was was decided the conventional buffing gear was not required

Five TGS had the guard's end fitted with buffers, TDM jumpers and a drophead buckeye

The next TGS converted had no buffers just a standard HST alliance coupling and had TDM jumpers both sides

The last two conversions also had no buffing gear just a standard HST Alliance coupling and these had only one TDM jumper provided on one side only.

These last three were labelled: "Connect to Class 43 or 91 locomotive only - Call Control (on number) for authorisation to connect to any other locomotive type".

TGS vehicles - 44021, 056, 058, 059, 086, 097, 098 and 101 were the ones modified to run with Class 91s, same list you have there, though I don't know which individual TGS received which of the various stages of treatment.

On Moderation
Not all the TGS used with the 91s actually received buffers, 91s did run with some only equipped with their buckeye (Alliance) couplers.

Eight were converted to run with 91s during the modification process it was was decided the conventional buffing gear was not required

Five TGS had the guard's end fitted with buffers, TDM jumpers and a drophead buckeye

The next TGS converted had no buffers just a standard HST alliance coupling and had TDM jumpers both sides

The last two conversions also had no buffing gear just a standard HST Alliance coupling and these had only one TDM jumper provided on one side only.

These last three were labelled: "Connect to Class 43 or 91 locomotive only - Call Control (on number) for authorisation to connect to any other locomotive type".

TGS vehicles - 44021, 056, 058, 059, 086, 097, 098 and 101 were the ones modified to run with Class 91s, same list you have there, though I don't know which individual TGS received which of the various stages of treatment.
Thanks. The giveaway as to which had buffers would be evidence on the bufferbeam after they were removed, either holes where they were fixed or something plated over.

So the question then is why does 44077 have RCH jumpers, as per the photo I linked to earlier?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Thanks. The giveaway as to which had buffers would be evidence on the bufferbeam after they were removed, either holes where they were fixed or something plated over.

So the question then is why does 44077 have RCH jumpers, as per the photo I linked to earlier?
A good question because as far as I can ascertain it was not one of those modified for use with 91s.

InOban

Established Member
There appears to be a set going south on Monday. I assume the sets will be sent down in turn to have their 5th vehicle added . No path yet for the return North.

Goldromans

There appears to be a set going south on Monday. I assume the sets will be sent down in turn to have their 5th vehicle added . No path yet for the return North.
I assume it won’t need to stay long as the coach should already have been tested?

InOban

Established Member

The northbound working has now been loaded into RTT. I wonder whether this might actually be the final set with its 5 coaches and the set going south on Monday could remain to collect an extra vehicle. It would make sense for all the sets to be tested with 5 vehicles at Wabtec.

Steven_G

I don’t follow. The last complete which is also the first 5 car set hasn’t been delivered yet.

you wouldn’t send a set down to add a car to it surely? Logic says you would send up half the single additional cars in one 9 carriage set then split them up at Haymarket. No?

DB

It would make sense for all the sets to be tested with 5 vehicles at Wabtec.

It really wouldn't. Provided the extra carriages have been tested themselves it should just be a case of slotting them in - HST Mk3s are just independent unpowered trailers - they aren't like modern units (or Mk5 sets) which have a TMS which needs reconfiguring. Sending every set down to Doncaster is just a waste of time and fuel.

InOban

Established Member
You may well be right. We'll see what comes up on Tuesday.
But why then send down a complete set (125mph schedule) rather than just two power cars (75mph schedule)?

najaB

Veteran Member
You may well be right. We'll see what comes up on Tuesday.
But why then send down a complete set (125mph schedule) rather than just two power cars (75mph schedule)?
They could be collecting multiple but less than nine - e.g. send down a 2+4 come back with 2+9.

On Moderation
They could be collecting multiple but less than nine - e.g. send down a 2+4 come back with 2+9.
Why send down a 2+4, in that case? Just send a pair of power cars and take the five TS vehicles back.

najaB

Veteran Member
Why send down a 2+4, in that case? Just send a pair of power cars and take the five TS vehicles back.
It's probably a bit easier to path it at 125mph than 75mph, plus maybe they need the carriage with the office for the door controls (can't remember the correct designation)?

On Moderation
It's probably a bit easier to path it at 125mph than 75mph, plus maybe they need the carriage with the office for the door controls (can't remember the correct designation)?
There's already a full set at Doncaster they test the coaches with for door controls. In any case, every vehicle has door controls.

najaB

Veteran Member
There's already a full set at Doncaster they test the coaches with for door controls. In any case, every vehicle has door controls.
I didn't mean the physical buttons, isn't the control box in the guard's office?

On Moderation
I didn't mean the physical buttons, isn't the control box in the guard's office?
Not sure what you mean? Every vehicle has a guard's operating panel for the doors (actually, one at each end, opposite sides). Are you referring to the ripper unit that translates the buzzer codes from the CDL circuits into the 36-way jumpers? That's located in the TGS* on the original sets with CDL, I'm not sure what's been done on the sliding door sets.

* in the buffet I think on the Grand Central sets

najaB

Veteran Member
Not sure what you mean? Every vehicle has a guard's operating panel for the doors (actually, one at each end, opposite sides).
Yes, but control panels are all wired back to a central logic box which, if memory serves correct, is in the guard's office. No?

Devon Sunset

As I understand it the final set is coming up as a 2+8 with the extra coaches being slotted into their allocated sets at Haymarket. There are also some sets to return to Wabtec for remedial work so that explains the one going the other way.

InOban

Established Member
I knew that eventually someone with inside information would appear! I just reported what was on RTT and the rest was just me speculating.

OmniCity999

Established Member
Does anyone know how many seats are in the 5th carriage??
Operated Routes
Glasgow/Edinburgh to Aberdeen/Inverness
Aberdeen to Inverness

Fife Circle (2020/21 winter timetable only)

Refurbishment Details
See original thread post below

Refurbished Sets Delivery Progress

Refurbishment Progress

Fleet Status

Time Scale

Severely Delayed. 25 four-car sets now completed as of 28/11/2020, one remaining set to be delivered. Unclear if Carmont derailment set will be replaced.

Fleet Numberings
http://www.scot-rail.co.uk/page/HST+ScotRail+Fleet

Diagrams
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/scotrail-inter7city-hst-diagrams.171933/

Power Car Liveries
http://www.scot-rail.co.uk/page/Class+43+Inter7City+Relivery

Specific Discussions
Onboard Catering
Diagrams
Power Car Naming
Trip Reports

Alternatives to HSTs:
General Discussion
Class 68 LHCS
Class 222s
Class 800s

A close friend of mine came across a set of documents lying on the table in a staff bothy regarding in-depth details of the refurbishment plan for the ScotRail HST fleet.
I can't find any released PDFs online nor on this forum, so I've started this thread dedicated to the ScotRail HST arrival and refurbishment.

Here's the details within the documents which I've taken the time to type up, and I've have attached the images from them which contain renders, seating plans, and statistics charts;

Apologies, i assumed the images would be there, post 1 of this thread details everything.

scotraildriver

Established Member
A good few sets returning to Wabtec for warranty work so it's just as easy to insert their 5th coaches at the time. Leaking roofs, HVAC issues, vestibule doors, jumper cables, door modifications to name a few.

SC318250

The run from Doncaster to Haymarket Depot is routed via Edinburgh sub and Haymarket platform 0. Will a 2+8 fit in platform 0 at Haymarket or will it be diverted through Waverley?

najaB

Veteran Member
The run from Doncaster to Haymarket Depot is routed via Edinburgh sub and Haymarket platform 0. Will a 2+8 fit in platform 0 at Haymarket or will it be diverted through Waverley?
If it can't fit in platform 0 surely it can be routed to platform 1 or 2, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.