• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Trip reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Well, I've finally stepped aboard my first refurbed HST on the 0735 Aberdeen-Queen Street. Scottish intercity rail travel has been brought into the 1980s at last! If I'd narrowed my eyes at speed around Gleneagles I could almost have believed it was 1981 and I was in push pull set. Only joking.

What a transformation.

- Plenty of tables in Standard, so no need to feel the need to go straight to First and upgrade as I've been doing with the classics.
- Loads of space generally on what was always a busy train on a 170, although the school holidays have started now so it might be a bit quieter anyway.
- Feels lively and powerful rather than an old banger with a Rover V8 in it, which is what the classics feel like.
- Buffet counter but no trolley, although I haven't visited.
- Seat reservations up to date.
- 'Express' uniformed guy cleaning up so it's immaculate. Can they put cleaners on the classics as well, which in my experience are tips, often even when they enter service?
- Lighting is fine, and not dazzling like the classics, but it is bright outside.

Only slight gripes, neither of which will have registered with anyone else on board:

- Aircon isn't too sharp so the coach is muggy on a sunny morning.
- Vestibule doors are held open, although the aircon hasn't failed, so there's that age old squeaking and groaning filling the carriage. Also quite a bit of rattling and banging from down below. This makes the train sound, if not feel or look, its age. No worse that an LNER set, although that isn't saying much.

More of this please, and quickly - and no more breakdowns than we get from 170s!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I was on one of the classic set yesterday (the 1122 arbroath to Glasgow) and found the set very nice, ended up losing time between Perth and dunblane due to running behind 1E17. Am looking forwards to more refurbished sets entering service over the next few months as i yet to sample a refurbished set

Status
Not open for further replies.