• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Jobs - Why the Delay ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trickortrack

6 weeks after applying it`s STILL says "awaiting shortlisting" this is ridiculous...meantime what else you supposed to do. I am not working just now and i am not receiving any benefits as i was previously self-employed.I dont want to apply elsewhere as no doubt as soon as that happens Scotail will get back ...How the hell can anyone be so slow nearly getting on for 2 months now its a joke :-x

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nym

Established Member
Because it's First Group, they like taking their time with these matters...

(The're also busy at the moment recruiting their Graduates if it's being handled by the same external companies)

route101

Established Member
I got a rejection email last week to a post i applied in December saying the position was already filled . They should of notified me at an earlier stage ! Another i got rejected straight away and for the same position diff location it was a few weeks .

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
6 weeks after applying it's STILL says "awaiting shortlisting" this is ridiculous...meantime what else you supposed to do. I am not working just now and i am not receiving any benefits as i was previously self-employed.I dont want to apply elsewhere as no doubt as soon as that happens Scotail will get back ...How the hell can anyone be so slow nearly getting on for 2 months now its a joke :-x

I would continue to apply for other jobs. When I have been unemployed I have been in the fortunate position of having three interviews in one week, two of which resulted in a job offer at roughly the same time. I could then choose the best one!

I now work in (non railway) recruitment, and I can tell you with complete certainty that almost all applicants are not just applying for one job, waiting for a response and then applying for the next one.

Lrd

Established Member
I applied back in December and I am still 'Awaiting Shortlisting'. Still got all my fingers and toes crossed :)

peebz88

I’m in exactly the same position. Two posts I applied for.
Ones only recently close on the 14th of Feb so can’t complain too much about this one.
Other job was trainee driver been sitting in awaiting shortlisting for 2months since the closing date. I have also seen other members on the forum commenting on assessments and things on here for this vacancy so now I’m considering do I close my application before they reject it and then unable to apply for 6 months!

Sandydriver

Hi all , i too have been sitting at awaiting shortlisting for both Edinburgh and Glasgow but just received word back from edinburgh........

Thank you for your application for a Trainee Train Driver [First ScotRail] role with First at EDINBURGH WAVERLEY Rail Station.

On this occasion, demand for this role has been high and whilst your application has met the initial sift and passed the minimum screening required for the role, there are a limited number of assessment and interview slots. There is always a possibility that similar vacancies will come up in the future and with this in mind, we would like to keep your application "On Hold". Where another vacancy arises, our focus would be on considering existing applicants and we may be able to contact you again.

Please note that applications are actively retained for a six month period and you will normally only be contacted if a similar vacancy comes up within that period.

Suppose its better than an unsuccessful :(

Im Just hoping that i at least get invited for an assessment for Glasgow, so back to the waiting game checking hotmail 5 times a day lol

trickortrack

Thanks people for the reply`s - Like the rest of you i guess i will just have to wait on them getting back hopefully this year :) - Meantime as someone said previous i will apply for a couple of other roles. good luck to everyone else who`s applied for various jobs with scotrail.

Northern1

I applied for a station position with TPE in November of last year, the job application went to "Awaiting Shortlisting" about 1 month after closing date, I had a interview/assessment in February and was successful.

I had a email again from HR in March to offer me a conditional position further to references/medical. Medical is on this Thursday at Manchester, but i've been informed a start date is still not known.

So it does take a long, long, long time for HR at First!

Beveridges

Established Member
ALWAYS apply for an unlimited amount of other roles, I have had over 10 applications going at once with different companies from DRS to ATW. They don't like it when you've done this so always deny it at interview, but at the end of the day they mess you around so you mess them around. If you end up being successful with more than one then just turn down the other, waste of their time yes, but these TOCs are just as capable of wasting your time by putting you "on hold", rejection, etc

anthony263

Established Member
I applied for a job with First great western back in february and at the moment it is still showing awaiting shortlisting.

Too be honest I am happy I haven't had a rejecton email so hopefully I will have some good luck this time.

reapz

I applied for a job with First great western back in february and at the moment it is still showing awaiting shortlisting.

Too be honest I am happy I haven't had a rejecton email so hopefully I will have some good luck this time.

Some wait for years with out hearing so a few weeks is nothing lol

trickortrack

Well finally waiting for nearly 3 months i got an e-mail telling me that i was "Successfull" ???? regards shortlisting but my application was on hold because there was only a number of limited places available for interviews. Any other person been left frustrated by this application technique that they use to tell you ? :roll:

Sandydriver

Im currently successfull on-hold for 3 different positions at the moment!! makes you wonder why they even advertise ....as surely they must have so many ''on hold '' from the previous intake they would have the numbers to carry on with assessments already lol .
Ah well fingers crossed they recruit again in the next six months :(

blanco

there were a few people in some of these scotrail threads who had assessment and structured interview dates but so far none of them have come back to say how they got on.

O L Leigh

Established Member
First are a funny bunch, but a lot depends on each TOC's HR department and their need for staff. Sometimes the need is urgent and consequently you will hear more quickly than when the need is less urgent or of a more speculative nature. I know this from experience. But then they are not so unusual when it comes to railway recruitment, so I shouldn't lose heart.

But if it has been a while it might be worth giving them a quick phone call to find out what (if anything) is happening. If nothing else they should be able to give you some idea of a timescale.

O L Leigh

apestyler

Might be of some use - When I applied last year for a trainee driver position with ScotRail here's how it went timescale wise:

- July: Application submitted
- August: Assessments & Managers Interview
- September: Structured Interview, Medical, Conditional Offer
- October: Contract and start date (only 2 weeks notice given!)

Ashker9203

there were a few people in some of these scotrail threads who had assessment and structured interview dates but so far none of them have come back to say how they got on.

I had my medical on Thursday, docs said I had met all requirements:D, hoping to hear more from Scotrail this week.

dml11

Had my medical on the 12th of this month. Got a call from hr early this week telling me that I was sucsessfull in my application process.
I am now awaiting my start date, hopeing for mid June.
As you can imagine I am over the moon

A big thanks to all who have posted information on the forum

Ashker9203

Had my medical on the 12th of this month. Got a call from hr early this week telling me that I was sucsessfull in my application process.
I am now awaiting my start date, hopeing for mid June.
As you can imagine I am over the moon

A big thanks to all who have posted information on the forum

I got a start date for end May.

Forum is a great help for getting tips and info while going through recruitment process.

Big thanks to all.

A-driver

Established Member
I know it is wrong of them to do this but I have known of TOCs recruiting as their franchise agreement states they must take on so many more drivers but having no intention to actually take any on - they all fail at interview. But just advertising the jobs and going through the motions is good enough to satisfy the dft.

It can be a long process going for a drivers job so keep all options open until you have a firm start date written down officially. There have been stories on here of people passing the medical stage and then being told recruitment is on hold.

Sadly whilst there are more applicants than jobs TOCs can be as slow and muck people about as much as they want.

Good luck though-just don't expect a quick answer.

dml11

Hi there,

I asked the question when I was informed I was sucsessfull as they did tell me there was a chance that I could go into a hold pot. I was informed that I was defo on the Course starting in June for Glasow central. They are just waiting for a confirmed start date.
But I will not be 100% until im sitting at a desk on the first day of training.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
By the way Ashker, are you on the edinburgh course?

Ashker9203

Hi there,

I asked the question when I was informed I was sucsessfull as they did tell me there was a chance that I could go into a hold pot. I was informed that I was defo on the Course starting in June for Glasow central. They are just waiting for a confirmed start date.
But I will not be 100% until im sitting at a desk on the first day of training.
By the way Ashker, are you on the edinburgh course?

I'm in Glasgow, will be based at Yoker.

dml11

Congrats mate.

Waiting for my start date. Told me it will be defo june.
Im Glasgow central, shields, corkerhill

All the best with it.

May bump into you at some point

LCC106

Established Member
Well finally waiting for nearly 3 months i got an e-mail telling me that i was "Successfull" ???? regards shortlisting but my application was on hold because there was only a number of limited places available for interviews. Any other person been left frustrated by this application technique that they use to tell you ? :roll:

So frustrating! No reason that you shouldn't contact them to ask how the recruitment process is going, say you're really keen to work with them and remind them that you're available for interview should anyone else pull out...

Also ask if you will automatically be invited for interview in the next recruitment exercise, or whether you will have to resubmit your application.

Shows you're serious about the position.

trickortrack

So frustrating! No reason that you shouldn't contact them to ask how the recruitment process is going, say you're really keen to work with them and remind them that you're available for interview should anyone else pull out...

Also ask if you will automatically be invited for interview in the next recruitment exercise, or whether you will have to resubmit your application.

Shows you're serious about the position.

Cheers for that LCC106 - Yes i called but they could only tell me that my name would be kept for 6 months should another post come up that i applied for...any different type job then i would have to re-apply...Gave them the speel that i am available at anytime for an interview etc etc.

Leeburt

I'm in Glasgow, will be based at Yoker.

How are you getting on, have you started yet? Let me know as im in Yoker regularly.
Congrats mate.

Waiting for my start date. Told me it will be defo june.
Im Glasgow central, shields, corkerhill

All the best with it.

May bump into you at some point

Keep us up to date please mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.